VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to be buying a mk1 or mk2 very soon and i was wondering what to get so i can get the most for my money speed wise. what do you gys thing the cheapest and fastest route to take is? i have a limited budget right now but i plan on putting alot of work into it so i want to know which can be faster mk1 or 2 with the least amount of money.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Re: mk1 or mk2? (xVWPOWERx)

i think that a mk2 16V would be best..it came from the factory that way, and they are pretty common....if your on a limited budget i wouldn't suggest getting an engine conversion car..they are money pits.....
the mk2's are easier to find, and usually need a lot less work....

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Re: mk1 or mk2? (xVWPOWERx)

Mk1 in good condition. Slap a factory 2.0 liter in it, soild tappet Shrick 272 cam, get Collin at Techtonics to polish and port the head. Place the Techtonics exhaust on it. You'll have a great power to weight ratio. The Rabbit's are lighter than the older models! Collin had an older Rabbit with a 2.0 that had very high compression. Quaiffe diff, big ring and pinion and was turning 12.50 in the 1/4 mile consistantly. I don't have that much compression as he did but I have the same combo in my pickup and I smoke 16v's all day that have been bumped up. I have a GTI that I autocross and is street drviable. It weighs 1900 lbs and is not stripped out either. Truck weighs a little more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.