VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I am very new to VW Vortex and don't completely understand how a lot of it works, but I am currently working on a 1979 MK1 Scirocco with my dad and we need some parts we cant find. We pretty much have all of the parts we need to get it running, but it's been sitting in a lot for around 12 years and needs most of the window seals and some interior parts replaced (if possible). So if anyone knows places or people that sell them it would help a lot! Thanks! Also, I know this isn't really the best place to post this, but the website won't let me post it in a more specific thread until I Have made 10 posts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Window seals can be found at vintagerubber.com
'some interior parts' is kinda vague. You'd need to post a list of what you're looking for.
ok thanks! i just needed a panel/trim on the upper inside of the door. I don’t know the exact name though. I just meant if there were any websites or stores that sold all or some interior parts, mostly panels, dash parts, etc.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Some places to get VW parts are:
mk1autohaus.com
vwpartsplace.com
3d printed replica parts: Scirocco Printed Parts by larry_boehm - Shapeways Shops
I sell new cluster foil circuits (replacements for the blue circuit behind the cluster that falls apart.
You might also post pictures and ask to see if anyone has extras.
There's also good resources of Facebook Scirocco groups like Scirocco Type-53 Resurrection
and E-Bay of course

It's always good to have a part# to search by too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mk1autohaus.com
vwpartsplace.com
3d printed replica parts: Scirocco Printed Parts by larry_boehm - Shapeways Shops
I sell new cluster foil circuits (replacements for the blue circuit behind the cluster that falls apart.
There's also good resources of Facebook Scirocco groups like Scirocco Type-53 Resurrection
and E-Bay of course

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
Sciroccos share mechanical parts with German Rabbits. They also share mechanical parts with American-Made Rabbits but there might be some differences.

All 1974-1992 Sciroccos were made by Karmann in Germany.

None had diesel engines.

(Parts guys sometimes ask if it was made in the USA and if it has a diesel engine.)

Sciroccos share almost no interior or body parts with any other VW. Even if the part looks the same, it probably is different. The switches are about the only interior parts that are probably interchangeable.

Seats may look the same but Scirocco and Corrado front seats go up and down. Rabbit, Golf and Jetta seats do not.

I am 99% sure the rear seats are also unique to the Scirocco.

The Scirocco had the high end MK1 interior. Some Rabbits may have a Scirocco steering wheel but no Sciroccos have Rabbit steering wheels. The instrument panel in a Scirocco has a tach and speedo. The base Rabbit only had a speedo. I think the instrument panel insert for a Scirocco will fit a German Rabbit dashboard. The dashboards themselves are unique to the Scirocco.

US-Market Sciroccos had alloy wheels. Scirocco 1 wheels are sometimes called "manhole" covers. They look similar to the wheels on early 70s Italian supercars. Some Rabbits have Scirocco wheels.

Inner door panels and rear inner side panels are Scirocco-specific.

Besides switches, about the only interior or body parts in common with other MK1 VWs is hardware. Clips, screws, fasteners, etc,,.

Oh, radios are interchangeable. The Scirocco has a DIN radio cutout as does other MK1 VWs.

7zap is a good website to look up parts (for now). Other sites have come and gone but 7zap still works for now.

Volkswagen Catalog [usa] (7zap.com)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mk1autohaus.com
vwpartsplace.com
and E-Bay of course

Do you know of any place that sells the front triangle window seals? It seems that vintage rubber sells everything but that for some reason. Thanks

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
Do you know of any place that sells the front triangle window seals? It seems that vintage rubber sells everything but that for some reason. Thanks
I might have good news for the left side (if yours is fixed) and will give some examples of how to check in the future.

The part number dropped off the 7zap version of ETKA but you have to determine if you have #4 or #5:

vent wing parts; F >> 53-B-050 000 - Scirocco(SCI) [USA 1979 year] (7zap.com)

It looks like #5 above is for the very rare opening vent window.

171 for the prefix on other parts indicates that part is used on other models. I don't know if 171 is generic MK1 or if it's for Golf 1 parts which are used on other cars.

531 is Scirocco 1 specific parts. That's important for looking up your seals.

Here is an example diagram. The 531 parts are for the Scirocco 1:

side part; battery mounting; wheel housing; F ... - Scirocco(SCI) [USA 1979 year] (7zap.com)

Knowing that 531 is for a Scirocco 1, we can look up parts that may or may not be being made on the VW Classic Parts website:

Spare parts for Scirocco | Body Work and Mounting Parts | Bodywork sealings (volkswagen-classic-parts.com)

As you can see the 533 left side is being made, but 533 is for the Scirocco 2.

Seal for fixed door glass for the Scirocco Mk2 (volkswagen-classic-parts.com)

If we substitute 531 in the part number we get 531845261.

seal (volkswagen-classic-parts.com)

I have no earthly idea why it didn't show up in the search earlier.

The good thing about VW Classic parts is that you can browse the catalog and see what VW is reproducing. The downside is that we Americans can't order directly from VW Classic parts.

MK1 can, so if VW Classic starts making the vent window seals for your Scirocco, MK1 Autohaus can get them.

EDIT: Very important. If VW Classic makes a batch of parts you need, you have to pounce. They only make them for a limited time and Sciroccos are very limited. They aren't Golfs so VW Classics isn't going to make a zillion copies of a Scirocco part.

You can also find VW Classic Parts on eBay. Nick in Greece has been selling me parts for over a decade now. He has NK Automotive eBay stores.

He has other stores but here is one of them:

NK AUTOMOTIVE-USA | eBay Stores

There are some 531845261 on eBay if you have a fixed window.

Usually the other side would be an even number.

The Scirocco 2 part number is indeed 533845262. See #5:

window glasses, seals Scirocco (SCI) 1988 year Volkswagen USA 157000 (7zap.com)

The Scirocco 1 part number should be 531845262 but I get no results.

Keep looking up 531845262.

Good Luck.

-OE

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had
I might have good news for the left side (if yours is fixed) and will give some examples of how to check in the future.

The part number dropped off the 7zap version of ETKA but you have to determine if you have #4 or #5:

vent wing parts; F >> 53-B-050 000 - Scirocco(SCI) [USA 1979 year] (7zap.com)

It looks like #5 above is for the very rare opening vent window.

171 for the prefix on other parts indicates that part is used on other models. I don't know if 171 is generic MK1 or if it's for Golf 1 parts which are used on other cars.

531 is Scirocco 1 specific parts. That's important for looking up your seals.

Here is an example diagram. The 531 parts are for the Scirocco 1:

side part; battery mounting; wheel housing; F ... - Scirocco(SCI) [USA 1979 year] (7zap.com)

Knowing that 531 is for a Scirocco 1, we can look up parts that may or may not be being made on the VW Classic Parts website:

Spare parts for Scirocco | Body Work and Mounting Parts | Bodywork sealings (volkswagen-classic-parts.com)

As you can see the 533 left side is being made, but 533 is for the Scirocco 2.

Seal for fixed door glass for the Scirocco Mk2 (volkswagen-classic-parts.com)

If we substitute 531 in the part number we get 531845261.

seal (volkswagen-classic-parts.com)

I have no earthly idea why it didn't show up in the search earlier.

The good thing about VW Classic parts is that you can browse the catalog and see what VW is reproducing. The downside is that we Americans can't order directly from VW Classic parts.

MK1 can, so if VW Classic starts making the vent window seals for your Scirocco, MK1 Autohaus can get them.

EDIT: Very important. If VW Classic makes a batch of parts you need, you have to pounce. They only make them for a limited time and Sciroccos are very limited. They aren't Golfs so VW Classics isn't going to make a zillion copies of a Scirocco part.

You can also find VW Classic Parts on eBay. Nick in Greece has been selling me parts for over a decade now. He has NK Automotive eBay stores.

He has other stores but here is one of them:

NK AUTOMOTIVE-USA | eBay Stores

There are some 531845261 on eBay if you have a fixed window.

Usually the other side would be an even number.

The Scirocco 2 part number is indeed 533845262. See #5:

window glasses, seals Scirocco (SCI) 1988 year Volkswagen USA 157000 (7zap.com)

The Scirocco 1 part number should be 531845262 but I get no results.

Keep looking up 531845262.

Good Luck.

-OE
I had to read this twice before understanding what it meant but THANK YOU I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Great that you and your dad are working on getting this Mk1 Scirocco back on the road. The Vintage Rubber products are good quality I had them on a previous mk1 Scirocco and will be using them on my current 81 Mk1 Scirocco after I paint.

Reactions: ColdFrenchFries

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
ok thanks! i just needed a panel/trim on the upper inside of the door. I don’t know the exact name though. I just meant if there were any websites or stores that sold all or some interior parts, mostly panels, dash parts, etc.
Actual door panels and dashes aren't available as new. Best you can do it find the nicest old ones you can, sadly.

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
Classic Parts has new stuff all the time but you have to check back often.

They had new Scirocco 2 taillights a few years ago but it was only for a moment in time. They were also very expensive but 99.9% of used ones are cracked.

Since Classic Parts show up on eBay, I save searches by part number. I get the part numbers from 7zap. Take out the spaces or you will get hits on every 531 part.

If there is a reproduction or OE supplier part, they will cross to the Genuine VW part number. For instance, you can usually search by VW part number instead of Bosch part number for K-Jetronic parts.

-OE

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
One more caveat. If MK1 Autohaus sells it, make sure it's in stock - even in their eBay store.

I clicked on the Buy It Now for a Scirocco 2 grille and it was out of stock. They sent me an eBay message saying it had a big warning not to order it but I am sure that big red warning wasn't there before. As far as I know, the auction for the Scirocco 2 grille is still up several years later.

While on the subject, if ECS Tuning says "ships in two days" that means they don't have it in stock. I ordered something from them once. They said it wasn't in stock and refunded my payment. Six months later they got it in stock and said I needed to pay - like it was a past-due bill.

-OE

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a substantial pile of parts for your car, including front and rear factory seals as well as the reproduction seals. I have seats, interior door panels and some exterior things as well.
Feel free to send me a list of what you need and I will see what I have. I am happy to help you out with what ever I can.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a substantial pile of parts for your car, including front and rear factory seals as well as the reproduction seals. I have seats, interior door panels and some exterior things as well.
Feel free to send me a list of what you need and I will see what I have. I am happy to help you out with what ever I can.
If you have 531845262 I would be interesting in purchasing it from you, front window seal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.