VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

mk1 tt project

3K views 22 replies 2 participants last post by  carchris 
#1 ·
so here is the mk1 project i don't think its too bad let me know what you think.

#2 ·
in this episode we will hopefully sorting some problems out on the TT. We will be tackling the loose under body trims, the headlight level sensor linkage and adaption, the window micro switch so the window drops when you open the door, the rear seats that wouldn't go back but we will look into this a bit more as we get other jobs out of the way and I found another problem with the car which we try and fix.

#3 ·
in this episode we will be replacing the oil pick up pipe (oil strainer)along with changing the oil and filter, this is something I wanted to do before I start driving this car as these can get blocked and result in starving the top end of oil. And I also manged to get hold of a coolant cover for the engine bay as the car didn't come with one. 1x oil sump plug 19mm spanner or socket needed - torque too 30nm 20x sump bolts 10mm socket or 5mm hex needed - torque too 15nm 2x turbo oil return bolts 5mm hex needed - torque too 15nm 3x sump to gearbox bolts 16mm spanner or socket needed - -torque too 45nm parts needed oil pick up pipe sealant sump plug oil filter oil link to where i got my pick up pipe kit https://cloude9customs.com/product/genuine-vag-1-8t-oil-pickup-kit/ oil service kit https://cloude9customs.com/product/vag-1-8t-service-kit/

#6 ·
in this episode we will take care of a couple of things on the tt mk1 that I wanted to do like replace the passenger side door mechanism where the micro switch is playing up and tidy up the front subframe but stay tuned as we will be starting on the mods in the next episode.

#8 · (Edited)
I keep meaning to throw these on for a bit of background noise. Then I saw this bit and I had to watch.

we will be replacing the pcv system
I have my opinions, but it's your engine. I do recommend anyone thinking of going this route give this a read.
How much vacuum you get and how much vacuum you need seems less important than having a venturi valve to create the pressure differential to suck out crankcase vapors rather than relying solely on the turbo and pancake valve. How you want to manage the vapors is all you.

I'm also entertained by how much contorting people do to avoid removing the intake manifold to fix their breathers. With the amount of gunk from neglected PCVs, I wondering how much integrity is left in the injector seats and thermostat housing. The gasses a busted breather leaks into your engine bay is hell on those nylon bits. Even if you're not replacing the seats and coolant flanges, it's a $5 gasket and 30 min prep for easy access.

#21 ·
in this episode I will be removing my clutch pedal and getting it strengthened so I no longer have to worry about it snapping while I'm out and about in the future. I suggest you get this done if you haven't already or at least have a strengthened pedal on stand by.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.