VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm currently having new front and rear seat covers made for my Gti project. My path may be a little different than others but feel free to use this as a benchmark for your project. Since the factory original red/blue stripped fabric is difficult to find, I chose to use a black tweed fabric for the bolsters and seat backs, and modern VW Mk6 plaid for the seat inserts only (front seats only). I took the seats to my upholsterer and he told me to buy 8 yards of the black tweed (54 inch wide bolt), and 1 meter of the plaid front seat insert fabric (60 inch wide bolt). I personally think 8 yards is of the black tweed is excessive but I took the advice of the professional that's been doing upholstery work for 40 years. The cost of the black tweed was $15/yard and the plaid insert fabric cost was $85/meter.

In order to reduce the labor cost, the upholsterer agreed to allow me to remove the seat covers myself. I delivered them to him to use as templates and to build/sew the new covers. I'm going to recover and hog ring the covers to the seat structure myself. I estimate labor to cost me around $400 for the front and rear seats. I'll post photos, actual fabric usage and final costs when the seats are complete.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts