VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took some measurements (with little extra to account for the folds under the seams) of 1984 US built Mk1 Rabbit Gti seats along with a bunch of pictures so that we can get an idea of how much material is needed to reupholster the front seats. Maybe someone with experience can chime in on how much overage will be needed and how much waste if any to expect.

OEM Material Summary: Front Seats you need 4 yards fabric, 2 yards vinyl. Rear is additional 2 yards fabric (thanks for confirming Eric!)

Seat back and bottom can be separated. Bottom bolsters can be unbolted for repair or replacement (junkyard scavenger tip- passenger seat bolsters can be harvested and used on the driver seat!)

Original Gti seat

The NOS original fabric is 54" wide (plus about 1" of edge seam on each side). 9" solid, 9" stripe, 18" solid, 9" stripe and then 9" solid.

Pieces I'm measuring from junkyard harvest
Bottom cushion and bolster

Top cushion is sewn in pretty extensively (note the extra material where I cut- seat was bent up so I took what was usable)
r

Bolster (I'm assuming measurements are same on each side)- this material is from a 1984 marked C&A 095 84

Bolster inside fabric- widest part is about 11"

Bolster fabric longest appox. 21"

Vinyl bolster outside length- we'll call it 30"

Vinyl Bolster height is about ?"
---need pic again---

Seat bottom
Fabric length is about 26 1/2"

Fabric width is about 17"

Vinyl @ front edge- approx 15" wide

Vinyl @ Front edge approx 4"

bottom Vinyl @ rear edge is approx. 15" w x 5" l

Vinyl bottom sides are ea. approx. 22" x 7"

Seat Back
Center approx 19"

Top center cushion width approx 16"

Top of seat section width approx. 19" x 10”L (vertical grain)

Widest part of upper bolsters (notice each side piece had part of the stripes on it) approx 8 1/2" & the height bolster at the longest is approx 26"

Vinyl Back height approx 24"

Back Vinyl width- approx 20 1/2"

Vinyl side height- approx 21"

Side upper bolster Width- approx 7"

Headrest

Front height-approx. 9"
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

Back height approx 10 1/2"

Back width- approx 12"

Top section side width 4 1/2"

Top Length- about 24 1/2"

Notes:
In the past I have seen lower bolsters with some stripe material and as noted above the upper side bolsters have stripe material hidden on the inside.

There are likely some strategic cuts that need to take place in order to use the material most efficiently. Someone with a CAD mind might be able to do this and create a template?
Hope this is helpful to others as we see more folks restoring seats with NOS material when found. I'm still hunting!:beer:
Hoffa

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks I’m totally with you on how should be done!:thumbup: I’m trying to get to an estimate in advance how much material is needed to redo 2 front seats comfortably without tearing apart what I have any further so someone can buy the appropriate amount to bring to an upholsterer for the job. Is it 2, 3 or 4 yards...working on the math now.
Hoffa

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
OK if I did this all correct I come up with approx. 3.5 yards of the fabric to do a pair of front seats including the bolsters and headrests and being super efficient. To be safe then 4 yards. That’s more than I was expecting because of all the vertical grain straight blue in the bolsters and 2 wide top sections.

Vinyl total is x yards... anybody know what size the original (or aftermarket) vinyl comes in? Is it 54" like the fabric?
Piping total is xx”
Hoffa

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
For the one who asked me I found a pic of a Gti seat that was repaired using sections from a rear seat... see the extra stitch across the bottom section?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow please share with pics when you get it in. Did they charge you $110 or $120/yd?
Hoffa

Just got the invoice for my order, SMS is making it now and I couldn't be happier.

350 S. Redwood St. Canby, OR 97013 US (503) 263-3535

In case you are one of the people that has also been begging for it for 2 years. Also a huge thanks to the gentleman that had a 1 inch strip from the last bolt of OEM in existence that SMS used to recreate it (you know who you are).

Regards,

John

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
SMS Blue Hotstripe repro

John I'm curious about the remake you received. I just received a sample (from SMS their repop) and frankly I'm disappointed. At 10 feet no problem but up close it looks like a denim type of weave fabric with a funky "digital" stripe characteristic. It's not the fuzzy velour/corduroy type of texture and sheen plus the red stripe color is off (more orange) to my eye. Maybe I'm just being overly critical! I'm happy that it's being reproduced at all and applaud the effort that SMS is putting into it but I'd love to see something much more OEM especially at this kind of price point. I bought repro upholstery for my 1980 Mustang with similar velour fabrics and it's spot on so I know it's possible; maybe the volume of potential did not justify the extra effort on production and materials.
SMS Blue Hotstripe

OEM Blue Hotstripe

OEM Blue Hotstripe 2 with flash- it's funny the OEM has a sheen that changes the color and effect based on the lighting. Hard to capture in pics...

Hoffa

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just had me 83 GTI drivers seat done and the upholsterer told me had to use 2 yards of the fabric due to having to cut out the blue for the bolsters
Thanks for reporting back here with your actual experience. That sounds about right with my estimate of 3.5 yards for a pair of front seats. Trade secrets from an upholsterer I'm sure but I'd love to see someone lay out cardboard cutouts made from old fabric placed on top of a roll of new fabric in the most efficient way. Wonder how many yards a rear seat would require...did I ever measure for that? For you guys that bought up the red hotstripe I had for sale can you provide anything on your install? Who picked up Spratt's remaining yardage from his EBay sale?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Try Gromel here. You might also try SMS in OR in case they got any recent fresh old stock inventory. Not sure if they released the re-pop in red like they did the blue pictured earlier. Gromel would know!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts