VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry

Huh? I have the last two yards of the original VW fabric that SMS had. Got it after Derek Spratt nearly used it all up. Some folks on this thread knew about that too. Not sure why I'm writing this only to say SMS knows I'm their last buyer and I would have gladly sent it back if that meant there'd be more for all of us. Ce la vie. Glad to see you guys will be able to move on with your projects. Maybe that'll motivate me to finally get my seats done!
After all the time I spent on looking I never saw your info and I am sure that SMS is not in the practice of sharing customer data (which is good).

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
SMS Blue Hotstripe repro

John I'm curious about the remake you received. I just received a sample (from SMS their repop) and frankly I'm disappointed. At 10 feet no problem but up close it looks like a denim type of weave fabric with a funky "digital" stripe characteristic. It's not the fuzzy velour/corduroy type of texture and sheen plus the red stripe color is off (more orange) to my eye. Maybe I'm just being overly critical! I'm happy that it's being reproduced at all and applaud the effort that SMS is putting into it but I'd love to see something much more OEM especially at this kind of price point. I bought repro upholstery for my 1980 Mustang with similar velour fabrics and it's spot on so I know it's possible; maybe the volume of potential did not justify the extra effort on production and materials.
SMS Blue Hotstripe

OEM Blue Hotstripe

OEM Blue Hotstripe 2 with flash- it's funny the OEM has a sheen that changes the color and effect based on the lighting. Hard to capture in pics...

Hoffa

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just had me 83 GTI drivers seat done and the upholsterer told me had to use 2 yards of the fabric due to having to cut out the blue for the bolsters
Thanks for reporting back here with your actual experience. That sounds about right with my estimate of 3.5 yards for a pair of front seats. Trade secrets from an upholsterer I'm sure but I'd love to see someone lay out cardboard cutouts made from old fabric placed on top of a roll of new fabric in the most efficient way. Wonder how many yards a rear seat would require...did I ever measure for that? For you guys that bought up the red hotstripe I had for sale can you provide anything on your install? Who picked up Spratt's remaining yardage from his EBay sale?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
FWIW -- I've had my seats recovered, fronts and back, and it ended up requiring ALOT more material than I expected. I didn't have enough material in the end... :banghead: I was one driver's front seat back short.... :facepalm:

·
Registered
9,960 Posts
FWIW -- I've had my seats recovered, fronts and back, and it ended up requiring ALOT more material than I expected. I didn't have enough material in the end... :banghead: I was one driver's front seat back short.... :facepalm:
Do you remember how many yards you had? All we need to do is add 1 yard to that number and that's probably a great estimate of the total amount needed to do a whole interior.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I don't recall measurements sorry not really that helpful.. . I just remember laying the material over the seats and thought I had double what I'd actually need. I was expecting though that the blue bolsters and center cushions could be cut from the same yard but I don't think that works out. The upholstery shop said it was "like a puzzle" for them...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Try Gromel here. You might also try SMS in OR in case they got any recent fresh old stock inventory. Not sure if they released the re-pop in red like they did the blue pictured earlier. Gromel would know!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I do have stock of reproduction red GTI velour. Minimal amount of blue possibly available. I am currently working full time, and the gtifabric website has been closed as i just do not have the time to keep up.

This is reproduction material meant to redo your complete interior, not for patchwork.

Message me here if you need either

If anyone wants/needs the sms material in either red or blue i have some available at much lower cost than they sell it for.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts