VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am r/r-ing my windshield gasket and was hoping someone could give advise? do you install the seal on glass, then the trim strip, then install into car using string method? It's a nice oem style seal from Vintage Rubber but not a spec of install info.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Re: mk1 windshield seal w/trim r&r q's (2potrocco)

Yup, put the rubber on the glass, then make sure the trim is the correct shape and not twisted or bent, lube the groove it lives in with something ( i've used vaseline in the past and it seems to be ideal) and refit the trim, then refit into the car as you say, with the string. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
764 Posts
Re: mk1 windshield seal w/trim r&r q's (My Old Roc)

um.............
Why yes, I do....and within the month I will have the pictures from install and therefore the ability to write a step by step. It will be in the installation section of the website.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Re: mk1 windshield seal w/trim r&r q's (2potrocco)

i have always put my trim in after the screen has been fitted with plenty of soapy water and a block of wood and hammer 4 times in all and only broke one screen.

i think in future i will be trying the put the trim in first method.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Oh, I don't like the sound of this. How did you break it? We need to bomb-proof this as much as possible.
Btw, vaseline and rubber = no-no. Any petroleum agent and rubber = no-no. Unless I missed something w/ Bill Nye the Science Guy. I know it goes on/in/whatever easier, but longterm the stuff eats away at the rubber.

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
I know its too late for 2pot, but I'd def. recommmend putting the trim in after the windshield is in. The air gap left in the empty trim groove gives you some much needed flexablity in getting the seal around everything.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Re: mk1 windshield seal w/trim r&r q's (webthread)

Quote, originally posted by webthread »

I knew it was coming, I just knew it............

It's Sigtastic http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.