VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day folks . been a long while since ive posted on Vortex .

I recently got my hands on a Z20 Zender kit for my mk1 ,I need assistance as to how they are put together ,the previous owner had it riveted on all the joints which doesn't look too good and now i have a kit with 50 holes . so this is what i need to know :

1) How is it held on the joints.

2) How does the rear apron hold to the body .

3) How do i attach the sills to the body .

Regards

·
Registered
134 Posts
In the leading pages of the 1986 Zender catalogue there's a couple of articles about the founder and how the kits were developed etc... In the foreground of one photo you can see the fitting instructions for a MK1 Scirocco kit which is very similar to your Z20 in makeup.

Unfortunately for me at least, they're in German. Perhaps someone else reading this might be able to give a brief translation?

I've scanned it as best I can, but the catalogue is very thick and I didn't want to break the spine.

If you click on the images below they'll open in my Photobucket where you can magnify them further.

I don't recall where I read this, but I was led to believe the front and rear covers were attached to the existing (European style) bumpers, but only after the plastic covers had been removed.

Hopefully some use to you...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the leading pages of the 1986 Zender catalogue there's a couple of articles about the founder and how the kits were developed etc... In the foreground of one photo you can see the fitting instructions for a MK1 Scirocco kit which is very similar to your Z20 in makeup.

Unfortunately for me at least, they're in German. Perhaps someone else reading this might be able to give a brief translation?

I've scanned it as best I can, but the catalogue is very thick and I didn't want to break the spine.

If you click on the images below they'll open in my Photobucket where you can magnify them further.

I don't recall where I read this, but I was led to believe the front and rear covers were attached to the existing (European style) bumpers, but only after the plastic covers had been removed.

Hopefully some use to you...

Appreciate this thank you . I got the kit with a front stiffener, but the rear didnt come with one .. so im still puzzled as to how the rear attaches i see no holes or mounting points or clips on the inner section . .

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've Z20 and Z2 kits... they share identical front, rear and sill parts.

The Z20 was previously fitted to a car that I never saw, so I'm going on the location of the various holes to help guess how it was fitted.

The Z2 is NOS and doesn't have any pre drilled holes whatsoever so presumably that must be how they came from the factory.

Like yours the Z20 is riddled with holes, though in fairness they seem to be in the general areas recommended by the instructions in the photo.

The principle attachment for the rear panel seems to be along the bottom but is it possible the sides of the rear panel are also screwed to the original rear bumper (less plastic cover) further up?

When the rear arches are attached they should cover these side screws but then your going to have to screw the arches in turn to the rear panel anyway (hope that makes sense?)

Pretty crude set up by todays standards, but it was almost 35 years ago I suppose.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All useful info here you've helped alot ! thanks again :thumbup: .

Pics of my kit one of the arches broke while the previous owner removed it managed to staple and plastic weld it up .
Need to make a tough decision its either the Clipper cabrio kit or the Zender :eek:.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I suppose you right , Im not one to follow trends i like to stand out amd the zender kit will do just that :thumbup: . just missing the boot spoiler very scarce these days if you do find one its way overpriced , if youve got more posters on the zender mk1 will really appreciate it ,

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes, the inner lights are slightly domed compared to the standard headlight, they're also the same 7" diameter.

The grille will originally have come with a separate left and right backplate or bucket, needed to mount all four lights.

The original cars outer lights are retained, though they need to sit further forward due to the deeper Zender grille, hence the buckets.

The literature I have all refer to the inner lights as 'auxillary headlamps', but the cut of the glass looks more like fog lamps to me, maybe something's been lost in the translation and that's what they mean?

Try to get the buckets from your mate, they're just molded plastic and without the grille they're of no use to him anyway assuming he's putting his car back to stock.

The buckets are nigh on impossible to find but if you need genuine old stock inner lights I may have a source for you (not me)

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's them, great that you got them. It would have been difficult to fit the lights if you hadn't.

The proper inner lights turn up now and again, I spotted a NOS set recently. They're still for sale, if you need them I can send you a link.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.