VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Hoping for a little guidance. This is my first time doing a belt of any sort, I am somewhat mechanically inclined (brakes, rads etc) but timing is a sore area for me. But I think im getting there.

For the cambelt - I have the upper crank at the correct marking, the rotor arm facing the correct marking.
What I see as the marking within the gearbox housing seems incorrect to me, but this is how it was looking before I took the belt off too. So, before I tighten everything back up, I wanted some clarification if the marks are correct, and what I'm seeing makes sense.

I've taken some pics, please let me know if what I'm seeing makes sense and is correct. This is how everything looked before I took the belt off, and everything was running fine. It would make a ticking noise when cold but I think that could be the oil pump giving out. I'm fairly sure none of my gearing has moved out of place.

Any help would be great.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Wheel Water Automotive tire Tire Fluid
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Fluid
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Vehicle brake Rim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Pacific_northwestern @demented_irony

Thank you both for the responses.

- This is how I remember the markings to be when i pulled the belt off. I'm assuming the timings have been messed with from the distributor? If so, can I put everything back together and timing things back up with a strobe gun? I just want to be safe in knowing the belt replacement has ben done correctly.

- What/How/Where does the yellow mark line up with (pic showing crank)? If/when fitting the pulley, and the marks line up correctly, am I good to assume my belt replacement is good and I can continue?

·
Registered
52 Posts
They should be way closer than that. I did a 16V head in my apartment complex in Phoenix back in 1997 and I remember getting it close like this and then had to move the belt by 1 tooth. It’s critical to be right AND to make sure the teeth on the belt are FULlY in the crank gear before releasing the tensioner. I think I used a large paper clamp to hold the tension on the belt so it wouldn’t drop loose on the crank gear.

·
Registered
'91 GLI, '98 Vr6 GTI, '17 Golf R
678 Posts
You should put the lower pulley on (loosely) to see where the notch in the pulley is. It should align with the arrow on the lower timing cover. From what I'm seeing I don't think it will.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I attached pics of the pulley loosely attached and posted them on post #6. It does look every so slightly off.

So I'm guessing @EricInBlythe and others may be correct in saying it could be 1 tooth off? When it drove, I felt as though it was weak in power. But, I have never had a 16v before. And I've always read the 8v is very quick off line, so naturally I thought it was normal. So, you could be right in the lack of power. This would mean whomever changed the belt previously, did not check the timing correctly and ran it 1 tooth off.

What do you guys think based on the pics I've submitted?

·
Registered
678 Posts
I attached pics of the pulley loosely attached and posted them on post #6. It does look every so slightly off.

So I'm guessing @EricInBlythe and others may be correct in saying it could be 1 tooth off? When it drove, I felt as though it was weak in power. But, I have never had a 16v before. And I've always read the 8v is very quick off line, so naturally I thought it was normal. So, you could be right in the lack of power. This would mean whomever changed the belt previously, did not check the timing correctly and ran it 1 tooth off.

Lol, I must have skipped over the other post since I suggested the same thing. Yeah, you look 1 tooth off on the crank, that arrow and the notch should line up pretty much exactly. That will also address the marks not lining up correctly in the transmission hole.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol, I must have skipped over the other post since I suggested the same thing. Yeah, you look 1 tooth off on the crank, that arrow and the notch should line up pretty much exactly. That will also address the marks not lining up correctly in the transmission hole.
Ok, seeing as though that's confirmed, I'm guessing now I'll have to take the belt off again, move the lower crank into position and refit the belt?

·
Registered
52 Posts

Both the 16V and 8V with close-ratio 5-speeds were “quick off the line”, but the 16V will walk the 8V the longer the race goes. My wife and I did a few runs when we were younger. Faced off an my 83 GTI against her 87 Jetta GLI. Man, those were the days! 😎 Always got the same result; GLI>GTI by a car length. Tornado Red>Mars Red. Heh!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Ok, seeing as though that's confirmed, I'm guessing now I'll have to take the belt off again, move the lower crank into position and refit the belt?
Yes. The trick is not letting things move when you adjust the belt tensioner. Sometimes you have to set the timing ahead so when it moves when you apply tension it ends up timed. This is probably what the last owner did wrong.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yes. The trick is not letting things move when you adjust the belt tensioner. Sometimes you have to set the timing ahead so when it moves when you apply tension it ends up timed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Move the bottom to the marker, loosen the belt at the top, move the cam gear backwards or forwards one tooth until the marks align, then reinstall the belt. That's how I did it. Once you release the tensioner, turn the motor around several times by hand to confirm that the marks continually line up. That's all there is to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, so that mark on the fly wheel is too be used for timing to be set with the strobe light. Got it. Just to show you all (and hopefully to confirm) I've now tightened the belt in accordance with the markings on cam and crank pulley. This is what my flywheel looks like. I can not see any markings, but if you guys give me the green light I'll be happy with that.
Automotive tire Alloy wheel Rim Automotive wheel system Metal

Automotive tire Wood Door Rim Gas

1 - 20 of 29 Posts