VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Re: Mk2 center console in a Mk1 (SidVicious)

From what I have heard, the mk2 center console fits in fine with no cutting. Buy one and try it out, then post some pics. I would have done this in my 1980 Jetta if it didn't have one. You might want to try a 1980 Jetta center console as well.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Mk2 center console in a Mk1 (Colovion)

I was going to start this tonight but am too tired to start/finish. Anymore pics?, I wanna see where the park brake handle lies.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Re: Mk2 center console in a Mk1 (formerly vr6 karl)

WARNING: If you have an HVAC/heater unit in your car, this will NOT work. The back of the console will hit and it will cause more cutting/fabbing then you ever dreamed possible...dont make the mistake i did by cutting your stock stuff up only to find it does not work!
As far as installation instructions go, search under the username "kaninchen" or my name, CNbrown. There should be some good pics on install, as well as my mess(dont let the pics mislead you!).
BTW, cutting is involved HVAC unit or not

Modified by cnbrown at 2:29 PM 5-14-2003

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Re: Mk2 center console in a Mk1 (formerly vr6 karl)

Quote, originally posted by formerly vr6 karl »
i bought a cabby center console and i doesnt look/fit as well as that one!!!

You have to admit though, anything fits/looks better than the American Rabbit GTI console. What is with that thing?

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Re: Mk2 center console in a Mk1 (tecnopolis)

Hahaha! Someone vacuum that rug

Actually, I did that install pictured because a previous owner installed a Mk1 Scirocco Console that did not look too good and part of the dash where the ash tray used to be was butchered up. The heater box was left alone and I do recall most of the trimming was done in order to get the console under the e-brake hande and away from the boot.
More trimming was done to tuck the console ever so neatly into the dash area clearing the dash where the old ash try used to be. It's all about trimming with the console, nothing too hard. I also had to extend the wiring for the gauges above into the dash. I would definately do the swap again, except I do not care for the gauges at the angle that they are in where the cubby hole used to be.
Jim

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Re: Mk2 center console in a Mk1 (Cubster)

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the rear. However, I'm positive that as you start to measure, test fit, cut, it will all make sense on what is and is not in the way.
Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.