VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Out there,

Does anybody has an idea how many miles you can put in a MK2 2.0 16V GLI engine without going through any major repairs, or parts replacements??

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
In the hands of a master - forever

In the hands of a punk kid, maybe half a summer

You may fall anywhere between.

My 1.9 tdi has 400,000.
At 300k it needed new rod bearings piston rings and a head job.

It also depends on how you drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mileage Question

Hello There,
thanks for the info.
the thing it's some guy is selling me a 1990 Jetta GLI 16v 2.0 with 249,000 and he doesn't know if major repairs have been done to the engine, and I want to know in case some thing happens after the sale, you know getting ready with money.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The early 1.8 16 valves were said to have very controlled clearances from the factory. I owned one in an '87 GTI and it was quite nice. But, the 2.0 later edition?

At that mileage, lifters. And very soon, valve guides at a minimum. At that point, I, personally would replace the exhaust valves and very lightly have the seats cut.

The whole "run forever" thing rolls off the lips of morons. I continually see many of these same guys say the same about the diesel variants....and that is certainly not true either.

When the cams come out for the lifters, I would sure consider a new chain up there as well.

The usual cam belt and new QUALITY belt tensioner as well.

If the owner is telling you he is without knowledge of previous care......be VERY skeptical. He probably does not change oil either.

Running these hard before the engine is ENTIRELY warmed up to operating temp is a bad deal. By operating temp, I mean a good hot crankshaft and block. And, rarely does anyone care to this extent.

·
Registered
464 Posts
200K is no problem. I have seen a few break 300

When you are at these numbers, think of the oil pump as a maintenance item.
You want to drive it pull the pan, put on a new oil pump
put in new rod bearings.
keep it full of 20/50 with clean filters and a good timing belt and rock on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts