VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the 1990 Jetta, and found out it's the California Jetta...
Here are the pics:

3 weeks ago I pulled the front end off, and here's what I got:

The engine was blown to smithereens, so I pulled the engine out and plan to convert this Tornado Jetta to Diesel, and this is the donor vehicle, 1986 Jetta Deluxe Diesel. Taken with phone camera the moment after an idiot with brand-new 2008 Scion xB blowing through the stop sign and caused an accident on July 29, 2007.

More pics to follow on Tornado Jetta sometime this week!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (Canadian_dubber_4_life)

I'm thinking of modifying the intake manifold for my Diesel mill, with CNC'd aluminium box or a cylindrical manifold that bolts on my existing lower aluminium manifold runners, and make the setup look like a BBM Howitzer intake set, with K&N cone on the end... just a thought. Also have G60 Valve Cover, powdercoated Baron Red, which is damn close to Tornado Red... it looks nice. Plan to wash down the bay with Industrial-strength Simple Green and a nylon wire brush, then hose it. For the stubborn wax, I'll use my neighbor's pressure washer.
Also have Prothane Bushing Kit for entire car, Bilstein Touring Set with Vogtland 30/30 springs, new Diesel Radiator, new upper radiator hose, and a Canadian CE2 cluster from a fellow VWVortexer that's waiting for a set of new Gauge faces from Meister Gauges. Still looking for A/C Condenser, Diesel A/C and Alternator bracket, and need to buy new Big Bumper front end with new valances, a 16v Headlight Conversion Kit, 15x7 wheels, Brakes upgraded to GTi/GLi system. Plans to get an ALH TDI-M for it within 2 years from now. Probably attend a Dub-Fest up north from here and drool at other creations!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (VWDoc91)

Washed the right half of the bay..... and there's the wax coating that really IRKED me... with God knows what's integrated into it, the Industrial version of Simple Green simply won't do... I broke out the plastic scraper and nylon wire brush. They're b!tch to deal with!! How do you guys do that without as much the back-breaking task??

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Finally got around to wash the engine bay.... and found some rust on the battery tray. Also found some flaky-layered rust on the top of the left frame http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif . I'm thinking of getting the POR-15 to take care of the rusted areas and topcoat them... Otherwise, the bay's all good. I'll have pics for you guys later...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Been a longwhile since I was on the last time... largely due to the sewage flooding in my apartment. Thankfully, it didn't affect my computer system because it was in unaffected area. Took about 2 weeks of lodging with no internet! That sucks to know I couldn't do the project because I had to be in my apartment on daily basis helping the maintenance man clear everything out for repairs and renovation, which finally ended today. Now, the computer system went down without warning.
It turned out that the system has a recalled motherboard after calling the manufacturer. I just sent my computer out today to the manufacturer for the repairs. That'll set me back about 10 to 14 days. A friend of mine who's a SHO-freak loaned me his computer for me to use for a while so I can catch up on 3-week hiatus from VWVortex!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Been a while since I got everything settled, I got stuck with duties elsewhere. As I planned to come back to Jetta and restart my project the weekend after Thanksgiving, my brother called me and told me that my mom was taken to hospital the day following Thanksgiving, and with little or no information as to why, I had to postpone the project for the time being. Today, I am writing this that my mom passed away Monday at 1 PM EST. I have to divert my project funds for going to North Carolina to see the rest of my family for the next three weeks. The only partial of the project will be worked on next week would be the Gauges re-facing and square up the wiring. I'll post them at that time.
Does anyone have the following parts I need:
-Big Bumper with rebar in a good condition
-Right headlight (or the used quad lighting kit with H4/H1 bulb combos)
-Dual Exhaust Manifold system including manifold, downpipe and cataylic converter
If you have one of them, please PM me. I won't have any funds until mid-January.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Got the Gauge Faces and accessories ordered for my project. Here's what the draft looks like before putting them into my cluster.

Like I said before, I'll have the gauges done here with pics of before, during and after next week....

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Finally got to my 1986 WE Jetta and ripped off the mangled fender tomake a room for the walk-thru, and I'm just about to pull the 1.6NA out of it later in the afternoon. I'll take some pics later today...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Got the gauge faces and the LED bulbs yesterday from Meister Gauge Faces. It looked good. So I did a little DIY. Here are the photographs:
Here were what I had in preparation for the job...

I cut the gauge faces and affixed them to the existing faces and got them together in an hour. then I went on to prepare the LED lighting. Note that there's a green filmstrip in the cluster in plain sight...

I used the X-ACTO knife to score the plastic tabs like this

After scoring the 5 tabs, I carefully snap the white plastic lamp cover off the cluster body and raised one side slightly enough to loosen the green film strip like this and removed the green film out.

Then I closed the cover, snapping it back on, and epoxied the tabs.

Then, I put the backs in the cluster without the needles to see how it looks...

Will take the needles and paint them luminescent orange tomorrow and I should have the picture of the finished cluster by then.
I didn't go out to my Jettas to pull the engine out yet because the weather turned crappy.
I hope to do that tomorrow. More pics to follow.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have thought about the intake manifold for Diesel... I plan to keep it NA, but I was discouraged with the existing intake manifold because of plastics that cannot be powdercoated, so I have spent weeks thinking about the other means of a one-piece intake. One day, I went through the parts I removed from my Cali Jetta (Tornado Red) and ran across a near-new Digi2 intake manifold, and I am seeing if it's possible to use that to modify the throttle body by removing the butterflies and shafts, weld all holes shut and grounded to flat bosses, and add a couple of bungs at the engine end of the manifold for PCV, and have the entire thing powdercoated, and set it up the same way the Digi2 was, with the exception of the MAF I don't need. And top it off with K&N Intake Filter. It's basically a concept of having unrestricted Digi2 manifold my Diesel engine can run with.
Opinions, anyone? Don't be afraid to lowball my idea if you disagree, but I appreciate the honest answers.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Finally, I had a chance to pull the engine out of my '86 Jetta. The engine and tranny below will be thoroughly cleaned and repaired , if needed.

Took a closer look at the AC/Idler Bracket, and you can see that it's bent. I'm not sure if I can get that straight, or should I be looking for the replacement bracket? According to the EKTA, this part's NLA!

1 - 20 of 119 Posts