VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my mk3 serpentine belt setup all ready and installed on my Caddy, but I still have to wire it in.
The mk3 70amp alt has two wires coming off of it, a large wire that goes to the starter, and also a small wire with a plug on it. Where do I connect this small wire to?
Also, where do I run the wires to that are in the the old alternator plug? Are they required, or can I just tape it up and leave it?

·
Registered
37,711 Posts
Re: MK3 Alternator wiring in an MK1??? (Kaddy)

The blue wire off your old alt goes to the position on the new alt that has the two pin plug. The lower one is the live one that you need to connect the blue wire to.
Your stock big red wires just go to the big terminal on the new alt.
That's it, have fun.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: MK3 Alternator wiring in an MK1??? (need_a_VR6)

Thanks for the help, just a couple more questions:
the other thing is that I got the mk3 alternator harness with the alternator, so I'd rather use the bigger guage power wire that is has and connect it to the starter.
so would I still need to run the other two power wires from the stock rabbit alternator plug to the starter aswell? the blue wire I know goes to the D+ terminal on the alternator, but I also have a blue w/ white stripe wire in the rabbit alternator harness, what is that wire for?

·
Registered
37,711 Posts
Re: MK3 Alternator wiring in an MK1??? (Kaddy)

The blue/white might be for the A/C. Not sure though.
You can run the big gauge power wire to the starter and forgo using your stock smaller ones. Be sure there isn't a fuseable link in that section of cable. If not, just remove it and you're good to go.

·
Registered
817 Posts
bringin this back! about to do this mk3 wiring to my 84gti w/serp. very lost on what to do with the stock rabbit alt wiring after this is installed.. (the two fuseable links goin to the fuse panel) how does the fuse panel get power? im having bad voltage drop in the stock wiring between alt terminal and battery pos. hepl!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Its pretty simple.

The 2 (or 3 for factory AC) wires in the body harness (from the fusebox) need to go to the battery + terminal.

The B+ wire from the A3 alternator can go to wherever the wire goes, Starter terminal or the battery + terminal ( Hopefully the A3 harness has a fusible link built in...)

Blue wire from the existing harness goes to the D+ terminal on the A3 alternator. W terminal isnt used unless you have a diesel.

The old 2 red wires from the old alternator plug can and should be stripped out and removed from the harness back to where they are connected to the body harness and battery terminal wire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.