VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have subscribed to several other forums and posted the same question. no answers and help!!!
first off, i have a 1998 golf gl, manual, with 150k on the engine, new timing belt and water pump about 2 months ago.
my car shuts down after about 10 minutes of driving. it will cut out if i am in gear, neutral, moving or not. after waiting 15-30 minutes, it will start back up as if nothing happened in the first place.
after searching online FOREVER, i found a lot of people have this problem. it seems everyone replaced their ECU/ECM relay, relay 109, position #3.
i have replaced the fuel pump relay, no fix. i have ordered the ECM relay, waiting for it to come in.... but i noticed my car doesnt even have an ECM relay in it. so that blows my theory of the relay heating up and cutting out the ECM.
can someone please help me?! i have been waiting for a few weeks for help on the other forums and no one will help.
could it be my crankshaft position sensor? coil pack? distributor? fuel pump? spark plugs and wires?
what should i do? i am a nursing student with limited money, i dont want to throw unnecessary parts into my car.
thanks in advance to any/all help!!!

Modified by thelema13 at 8:56 AM 3-13-2010

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Re: mk3 engine cutting out after 10 minutes... PLEASE HELP (thelema13)

Is it throwing a check light before it shuts down ? Something is warming up and becoming unhappy.. I'm thinking crank sensor, but due to the fact that someone has been into the belt and dizzy id check there first.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: mk3 engine cutting out after 10 minutes... PLEASE HELP (Pineapplegti !)

no CEL is popping up. timing belt replaced by mechanic, not something i did myself.
my friend, who is a mechanic, is coming over this weekend with his fuel pressure gauge and his computer to find, if any, what codes are popping up.
i am about at my wits end with this, do you know how ****ty it is to push your car out of traffic like 3 times per trip?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hey brotha I feel ya, I too have a 99' mkIII golf gl that does the same thing, well it used to, now it just wont start!
I would also love an answer

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it cant be the ECM relay...
im thinking it might be the crankshaft position sensor?
hopefully its something cheap, or its off to the junkyard.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Re: (TrueNoob)

Quote, originally posted by TrueNoob »
fuel filter
maybe
simple fix, easy and does cause this problem if it destroyed internally

Fuel filter is a cheap fix but it may be a bit of a reach as far as the root of the problem.
My car does the exact same thing, but its sitting with a blown headgasket right now so I haven't been able to figure it out. Somebody sent me a pm saying that they had the same problem and it turned out to be a bad MAF.
It also could be a faulty coolant temp sensor. Or so I've heard. Replacing that didn't fix my car.

·
Registered
358 Posts
what exactly does it do? Does it just shut off, or does it start to fall on its face then stumble hesitate shut off

if it just immediately shuts off then disregard the fuel filter. could be a sensor

Modified by TrueNoob at 7:43 PM 3-13-2010

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if i am driving, it will stall for a second, then be fine for about another 10 seconds, then completely die. the only light that comes on is the battery light.
i can shift into neutral, then shift into gear and it will start back up again for a few seconds, and then die again.
after this all happens, if i let it sit for 10-20 minutes, it will start back up again. it sounds like something is heating up, then will cut off, then cools down and can function again.
i am going to change the crankshaft position sensor tomorrow after work, see if that fixes it.
the hall sender is the crankshaft position sensor, right???
what is the MAF? sorry, i am not a mechanic or car savvy.
thanks for the pointers... i hope to figure it out.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Re: (thelema13)

Quote, originally posted by thelema13 »
if i am driving, it will stall for a second, then be fine for about another 10 seconds, then completely die. the only light that comes on is the battery light.
i can shift into neutral, then shift into gear and it will start back up again for a few seconds, and then die again.
after this all happens, if i let it sit for 10-20 minutes, it will start back up again. it sounds like something is heating up, then will cut off, then cools down and can function again.
i am going to change the crankshaft position sensor tomorrow after work, see if that fixes it.
the hall sender is the crankshaft position sensor, right???
what is the MAF? sorry, i am not a mechanic or car savvy.
thanks for the pointers... i hope to figure it out.

cranksesnor is a good place to start. Have your tried a fuel pump ? Is the car loosing electrical power when it shuts off ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, all electrical power shuts off. as soon as i turn the key to off, then back to start it up again, all power is there, it turns over but doesnt start up.
my buddy is coming over tomorrow or the day after with a fuel pressure gauge or something like that to check the fuel pump.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well havent gotten around to doing anything, due to the fact my clutch went out. anyone know how hard this is to do? i am looking around the forums for some answers.
VWvortex is the best site so far, thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my clutch is fine, turned out the cable became unattached from the actuator arm because the metal clip fell off somewhere.
in the process of replacing the CPS right now, but it is a son of a bitch!!!
had to take off oil filter, and i am now in the process of loosening the motor mounts so i can move a piece of metal that is in the way.
will post an update, and try to take pictures.
i have noticed a lack of instructions/info on this procedure. looks like everyone replaces theirs around 120-140k.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Re: (thelema13)

Quote, originally posted by thelema13 »

will post an update, and try to take pictures.

Please do.
I'm bumping this up because I wanna know if this fixes the problem.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts