VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I would start a new thread with a catchier title to get more interest in my actual build thread. Anyway on with the show. About a week ago exactly I ordered my Air Ride kit from Mason-Tech, I waited patiently for a full week and finally today around noon some US mail Jeep drove up my driveway and I had no idea what he was delivering and he asked me to sign for 3 packages so I did and it turns out he was delivering me these:

Box 1 contained my 5 Gallon tank (could use a nice cleaning but i'm not to worried about it now)
Box 2 contained the VIAIR compressor and the remote air intake kit
Box 3 contained TONS of stuff:
-Front bags
-Threaded collars for the struts
-Top plates for the bags
-Both dual needle guages
-All 4 manifolded valves
-The water trap
-All the required air line to plumb the car
-The air fittings kit
-And finally my 5 switch box

I'm still waiting on the struts as of right now I'm hoping to recieve them either Monday or Tuesday. Feels like i've already waited a year

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (andrew m.)

I just went simple and ordered the level 1 air managment kit and that's the switch set up that comes with it, this is still my daily so i'm not looking for anything radical
and to d1rtyj4k3, i plan on at least laying my pan on the ground for now, once i get a shortened pan i will be laying subframe, or really close to it

·
Registered
1,455 Posts

Hate to know how much $$$ this all ran you? I cant wait to see this done though... I am still rolling my pennies to bag my mk3 but this should be the final push i needed

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote, originally posted by andrew m. »
alright sir. it just kind of limits you, thats all.

limits me how? I plan on running my switch set up to do front/back/side/side/pancake, i'm not looking to control all 4 wheels individually being that I want to keep it simple
also gregvh, I will keep this updated as it continues to progress, hopefully it will progress pretty quickly so keep your eyes peeled

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (gregvh)

here ya go,

as of right now it has a shaved front bump in primer but that will be getting painted sometime soon I hope, also here is a photoshop I did of my car in class one day when i was really bored, it shows what i hope to achieve:

Modified by bagged_hag at 11:28 AM 12-14-2008

·
Registered
2,836 Posts

Quote, originally posted by andrew m. »
that's not a lot of lift.

that's the problem with all universal air aerosport bags, if you lower the perch enough to get a nice drop you dont get a lot of lift, just because there's not much travel.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (Rat4Life)

i'm not really too worried about the lack of lift considering i've been dailying my car at this height for over a year now, so anything even a bit higher then what i'm at will be fine

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Re: (bagged_hag)

Nice car and nice photoshop http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif ... to be honest though the jetta on Mason-Techs does not look all that low or that high really. IMO Paul from NY got his jetta much lower with coils and bags and could get higher... Maybe this build thread will be prove me wrong though.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Re: (gregvh)

Quote, originally posted by gregvh »
Nice car and nice photoshop http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif ... to be honest though the jetta on Mason-Techs does not look all that low or that high really. IMO Paul from NY got his jetta much lower with coils and bags and could get higher... Maybe this build thread will be prove me wrong though.

paul got his car lower cause he had shorter struts in the front, but it wasnt higher than my bros car (the white one above). his car was a 1/4" lower and they both had the same size tire. i know cause me and my brother helped setup pauls air
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Swoops at 2:03 PM 12-14-2008

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Mk3 + Mason-Tech = :drool: (Afazz)

Quote, originally posted by Afazz »

Bagged Hag - what size tire do you plan to run?

Currently i have 205/40/16 Falken 912's on my wheels and my wheels are 7.5 in the front and 8 in the rear. I'm hoping to get some 195/40's not sure on the kind of tire yet that's still up in the air and if i absolutely have to resort to running 15's to lay subframe then so be it

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Re: Mk3 + Mason-Tech = :drool: (bagged_hag)

Quote, originally posted by bagged_hag »

Currently i have 205/40/16 Falken 912's on my wheels and my wheels are 7.5 in the front and 8 in the rear. I'm hoping to get some 195/40's not sure on the kind of tire yet that's still up in the air and if i absolutely have to resort to running 15's to lay subframe then so be it

2009 year of the 14's

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Mk3 + Mason-Tech = :drool: (Swoops)

swoops are the signature series bags you have the most recent ones? the ones that have the threaded shock bodies, because if they are truthfully threaded the entire way down to the mounting flange, depending on wheel and tire set up you you should be able to lay frame with the mason-tech kit

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Re: Mk3 + Mason-Tech = :drool: (bagged_hag)

Quote, originally posted by bagged_hag »
swoops are the signature series bags you have the most recent ones? the ones that have the threaded shock bodies, because if they are truthfully threaded the entire way down to the mounting flange, depending on wheel and tire set up you you should be able to lay frame with the mason-tech kit

yea their the most recent unless the design has changed in the last 4 months.
how far struts are threaded down doesnt apply to air as much as it does to coils. with spacers or the right size wheel you can spin a coil spring past the wheel. its not the same with bags. a bag wont be threaded past the rim because it will hit the wheel 99% of the time. so what really comes into play with bags is the overall height of the strut.
there is a sleeve in the uvair bags you have. the length of that sleeve is the shortest the bag will compress. when assembled on a strut, the lowest the bag can be threaded down is to where the top of the strut body is flush with the top of that inner sleeve. anything lower than that and you'll just be bottoming out the strut and the bag will not be compressing all the way. this applies to every strut with uvair bags, not just mason-tech.
my brothers front is set up the exact way as i just described. hope this makes sense to you

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.