VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
48,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my Polo box for 02J conversionin yesterday! But... I have a problem.

I have a Mk3 that was originally a 4 cylinder, 020.

I thought my car would be the same, since I used to have a Passat and I got the shift box from a Mk3 jetta when my cable crapped out. Thought that meant Corrado/Passat/Mk3 were the same.

Apparently the 4 cylinders are missing that front bracket? I only have the rear. The holes line up, but the fronts are just sitting open in the air. I COULD drill a hole in my pretty, new, expensive box and install a bolt at the top front like 020.

(Corrado, from the rear)

This is mine (mk3, from the front):

So, are VR6 cars different from 4 cylinder? As it happens, I kept my old VR6 shift box from the Passat (like I said, I was TOLD that the replacement box was from a Mk3 Jetta, so they SHOULD be the same). Very odd :confused: it seems like they actually changed the body shell for 020/02A (they just added that front bracket, but, that means they needed to keep 2 separate stocks on the manufacturing line, which is not like VW...)

Suggestions? Adding a top center bolt seems like the best solution, but the base plate needs to be held on as well. Getting the front bracket from an 02A car seems like a LOT of work.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I'm a bit confused here... You got an o2j shifter box from a 1.8t I guess...
That is from a mkIV Vw, not mk3...! Mk3s came with 2.0s, vr6 and tdi.. As far as I know.
From what I've heard you do have to drill 2 holes to mount it...
I've never done it, but it sure is in my plans.

Search... The answer is around here, it has been covered a bunch of times...

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Ive done more VR swaps than I can count. The only time Ive ever encountered a tunnel that had both brackets was an early 94 Golf 4-Door. Fortunately I had a Corrado box laying around and it bolted right up.

·
Registered
48,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm a bit confused here... You got an o2j shifter box from a 1.8t I guess...
That is from a mkIV Vw, not mk3...! Mk3s came with 2.0s, vr6 and tdi.. As far as I know.
From what I've heard you do have to drill 2 holes to mount it...
I've never done it, but it sure is in my plans.

Search... The answer is around here, it has been covered a bunch of times...
it's a polo box (based on mk3). See here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?t=5820143
DIY: 02A ---> 02J Shifter conversion for VR6/SLC Cars

Ive done more VR swaps than I can count. The only time Ive ever encountered a tunnel that had both brackets was an early 94 Golf 4-Door. Fortunately I had a Corrado box laying around and it bolted right up.
So, what does mk3 VR6 use from the factory? A two rear, one upper front bolt setup like me, but with cables?

I looked up the part numbers, corrado box is 535, b3 Passat is 357, mk3 is 3a0 (Passat b4). That last bit confused me.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Interesting...I have a 94 4dr Gl that I swapped a Vr6 into and the shifer box bolted right in with no issues. I recently got the POLO box also so that i can swap in my MK4 shifter set up as well. I pulled the shifter from a 96 and it seems the same..:confused: I wonder why yours isnt:confused:

·
Registered
25,009 Posts
From all accounts i've heard, the Polo box is supposed to a direct bolt in?

I just did the O2J box/tower on my car (originally a 2.0) but i used a MK4 box rather than the Polo one. The rear two holes on the matched perfectly and i had to drill two small holes to mount the forward facing section of the box.

If you have to drill holes, you have to drill holes. It's not like anyone will see them anyways.

·
Registered
48,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd rather not, but if I have to, drilling a hole at the front for that upper bolt isn't a problem. I would just like to know why this is, or see what cars had what.

Seems like there's conflicting info... some people have seen more of one style, some, more of the other.

·
Registered
48,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here's the three side by side. First is the box I took out of my Cabrio. Second is the box from my old b3, replacement was identical from a Jetta VR6 (again, as I was told, but the part numbers in ETKA seem to confirm this). Third is the polo box.

Holes line up perfectly between both cable shift boxes.

·
Registered
48,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Son. Of. A. Bitch.

It seems that according to ETKA, the early Mk3 020 had the 4 point box (part 1h0711061), but in mid-1994 (VIN 028790 and up) they switched to the 3 point style (part 1h0711061D), deleting the front bracket. No idea why. Is this not an issue with VR6 swaps? I'm sure SOMEONE has noticed this before.

Searching deeper, it seems that the Mk3 VR6 may have also switched? There is a part number for a cable shift box (1h0711061A) that shows up as NLA, and replaced by 3A0711061, which is a Passat B4 part (becuase of the "3A" a the beginning). It shows the 3A part as current for all Mk3 VR6s. On the Passat page, the image shows a 3 point box, just like my 020 box, but for cable shifting. SO this MAY mean that the VR6 also swapped to the 3 point at the same time. I would imagine if you had to install this into an older car, you'd just drill the top mounting hole in the body.

The gearshift housing of the automatic seems to have switched at the same time, and the later part is a Passat B4 number also.

I'm really surprised no one's noticed this before... I bought this Polo box to avoid having to cut off the front bracket that doesn't even exist on my car! haha.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Ok I have an early 94. It has an 8/93 build date. So if The shift boxes changed after that then Im confused,

I swapped in a shift box from a 96 VR6 and I dont remember having it look different and it just bolted right in.

It has been almost a couple of years so I dont remember exactly how it looks but I know it was a smooth install. When I go to put in the POLO box Ill report back

·
Registered
48,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I have an early 94. It has an 8/93 build date. So if The shift boxes changed after that then Im confused,

I swapped in a shift box from a 96 VR6 and I dont remember having it look different and it just bolted right in.

It has been almost a couple of years so I dont remember exactly how it looks but I know it was a smooth install. When I go to put in the POLO box Ill report back
Thanks, I'll love to hear your response. But what is your VIN (just the last 6)? The 028790 VIN was built on October 1, 1993.

·
Registered
25,009 Posts
It seems to me that if the holes aren't lining up, and you truly want to install the parts, you're going to need to drill a couple tiny little holes.

·
Registered
48,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems to me that if the holes aren't lining up, and you truly want to install the parts, you're going to need to drill a couple tiny little holes.
The holes line up. It's that I'm missing the front bracket entirely, it seems because they redesigned the front of the shift box in 1994.

·
Registered
48,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FV-QR

Make a bracket... for what?

I'm just trying to get to the botom of it. if you read earlier, I'm ok with either adding a new bolt hole to my Polo box, or just going full Mk4. So that's not a problem, but just in case this is ever an issue for anyone else (as it seemsso, since some posters in here are also interested), I just want to know.

Please read before you judge :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I had to drill the hole in the Polo box and add a nut and bolt for support at the front. (It went into a 1995 GTI VR6 with a November '94 build date.) I saw no signs of a forward bracket on the car. I took out a Neuspeed short-shift modified factory shift box assembly which had a centrally-located forward stud pointing up and tacked in place to the box, and the car had a hole drilled for that already, so I just drilled the Polo box where the cars hole was, and added fastener of my own.

·
Registered
48,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had to drill the hole in the Polo box and add a nut and bolt for support at the front. (It went into a 1995 GTI VR6 with a November '94 build date.) I saw no signs of a forward bracket on the car. I took out a Neuspeed short-shift modified factory shift box assembly which had a centrally-located forward stud pointing up and tacked in place to the box, and the car had a hole drilled for that already, so I just drilled the Polo box where the cars hole was, and added fastener of my own.
Interesting, thanks for the input :thumbup:

Can anyone else provide this level of detail about their swap? There's some conflicting but not complete info here.

·
Registered
25,009 Posts
Not to be a dick, but the guys that do these swaps typically just do them, they don't theorize over the possibilities of what could be or should be done.

I asked this same question and got little response. Nothing useful. What did i do? I went out into my garage and just installed it following the DIY's that are on this forum and using my own common sense. While it is possible there is someone out there with a 1993 MK3 that wants to do this conversion, it only applies to the first year of the mk3 generation, all subsequent years it does not pertain to. Therefore, the target audience for this thread simply does not exist, or at least it the quantity needed to have a useful conversation.

Here is the thread i made about a month ago.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5963387-O2J-shift-box-install-question.&highlight=o2j

·
Registered
48,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not to be a dick, but the guys that do these swaps typically just do them, they don't theorize over the possibilities of what could be or should be done.

I asked this same question and got little response. Nothing useful. What did i do? I went out into my garage and just installed it following the DIY's that are on this forum and using my own common sense. While it is possible there is someone out there with a 1993 MK3 that wants to do this conversion, it only applies to the first year of the mk3 generation, all subsequent years it does not pertain to. Therefore, the target audience for this thread simply does not exist, or at least it the quantity needed to have a useful conversation.

Here is the thread i made about a month ago.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5963387-O2J-shift-box-install-question.&highlight=o2j
I don't understand why everyone seems to think this thread is a stupid idea. Again, like I said before, twice, I can handle installing it. That's not the problem. I'm just trying to find out exactly what came with what. No one theorizes, well I am. That way it's easier for the next person. Is that such a bad thing?

That thread is useful and I'll check out the links on how to get it done. Thanks :thumbup:

THe only thing I was con cerned about was figuring out exactly when the change-over occured. I got a lot of info from ETKA saying that it was in Oct. 93, on all models, but some people here had disagreed, so I was just making sure.

it seems ETKA can be trusted in this case, then.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts