VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah...I know this has been beaten to death. I searched but didn't come up with a with much. I've got a 1.8L MK3 Golf CL.
I want to stay 4 lug...is that a problem? Do I absolutely need VR suspension or?
Thanks y'all

·
Registered
542 Posts
Re: MK3 VR swap parts list? (K-Fresh)

You can stay 4-bolt, but i would recommend doing g60 brakes if you are. You can use your shafts, but the inner joints will have to be swaped out for the vr6 ones.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: MK3 VR swap parts list? (Phily Dubber)

Thanks man!
What else might I need? I'm thinking:
1. VR6 Motor/Tranny
2. Dual fans
3. Instrument cluster
4. ECU
5. Wiring harness
What am I missing? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
8,403 Posts
Re: MK3 VR swap parts list? (K-Fresh)

You'll need to convert your rod shifter to the donor car's cable shifter. You'll also need the Tranny's Clutch Master and slave cyl. Do yourself a favor and get a MKIII VR6 Clutch master cyl. DON'T use a VR passats (I learned the hard way...)
Your main power wire will need some noodling to reconnect to the fuse box but it's nothing major.
All in all a pretty straightforward swap. You'll be better off if you have a MKIII VR donor car and you can rob parts off of it as you need them. I used a VR Passat for my swap and it was o.k. except for needing the clutch master cyl from the MKIII. The passat's pedalbox is different and the clutch master cyl. has a SHORTER rod in the passat.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Re: MK3 VR swap parts list? (EuroVeeDub)

I ripped the 2.0 harness out and used the harness from the donor car (98 GTI). it plugged right into the fuse box.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Re: MK3 VR swap parts list? (J Dubya)

Wow, that seems too easy - you obviously had to use the ECU too right? What about spark?
I have a OBD2 2.0 - does that mean I'd have to find a OBD2 donor?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Re: MK3 VR swap parts list? (EuroVeeDub)

Yes I used the VR ECU. I got the whole car and swapped out everything I needed. I did however keep the Vaccum booster and brake master cylinder from the 2.0.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts