VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched through threads and picture postings in the Air Suspension forum and searched the Mk4 forums as well, but didn't find much.

I'm curious to see how people have their trunks setup with their air ride components that still allows them to keep the full size spare tire in it's storage location and is accessible without having to move the tank or compressor or anything to take it out/put it back in.

My only thought is to mount the tank along the left wall of the trunk (in line with the smaller division of the rear seat) and fit the compressor and other components up against the back seat and just cut the flooring so only the section above the spare lifts up. but there's gotta be more creative ideas out there, and since i'm not a very creative guy i felt the need to post. :)

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
I was also wondering about that last month but ended up removing the full size spare for the air management and buying a donut spare tire for long trips only (no need for it in the city with CAA coverage). I like things hidden and wanted to maximize trunk space so that was the best route i thought

Let's see some creative setup :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
yeah when i do mine this year one of the ideas i am playing with at the moment is to have everything mounted up on the top of the trunk opening, or as much as i can...tank for sure...there would still be room to put some items on trunk floor/false floor and be able to access the full size spare in its spot...to make it look clean and sweet i would run hardlines from tank at top of inside trunk along sides of trunk and then down through false floor and then to usual spots...hope that makes sense...i've got a few drawings/sketches lying around that i could post to make it more easier to understand

·
997.2 911, MK4 R32, S124 E320, W124 300E, GX470
12,992 Posts
Not a MK4 but this should give you an idea. The valves are under the raised floor, spare is still underneath and there's a sub under there somewhere too

P Q's old setup in his B5 A4

IMG_2252 by aar0n., on Flickr

·
997.2 911, MK4 R32, S124 E320, W124 300E, GX470
12,992 Posts
^would be alot harder to do with the space given in the mkiv vs the b5s
Not really, MK4 Jetta trunks are huge and really not that much smaller than B5s and you could definitely build a box like that in the area in front of the spare tire well

·
Registered
28,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well after measuring last night, a standard 5gal tank has plenty of room to fit along the left side of the trunk without blocking removal of the spare, but i know there's gotta other ideas out there. another thought of mine was to suspend the tank from the roof of the trunk, which i'd build a mounting bracket so it can suspend right side up so the water trap doesnt become obsolete. i'm just not sure if the tank would feel more abuse if it's bolted up in the air like that?

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
:p
jk, reworking the setup soon to have spare back in place :thumbup:
nice hardlines :thumbup: whats your layout ideas to keep the spare ?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
nice hardlines :thumbup: whats your layout ideas to keep the spare ?
thanks they were a quickly done addition as the floor usually covers it all.
new setup will be more showy. planning on having a box sit inside the upside-down spare with comp, distr block, and relay. if all goes right, the box will be attached to a hinged floor, so when you lift it, the box goes with it and the spare can be easily removed.
tank and sub box will get much more interesting than functional like that part.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
thanks they were a quickly done addition as the floor usually covers it all.
new setup will be more showy. planning on having a box sit inside the upside-down spare with comp, distr block, and relay. if all goes right, the box will be attached to a hinged floor, so when you lift it, the box goes with it and the spare can be easily removed.
tank and sub box will get much more interesting than functional like that part.

this sounds interesting.. will be waiting for you to execute.. i been thinking about my spare lately

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.