VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2000 jetta glx vr for $900 and the heater core was out so i followed a diy on here for a first timer to accomplish the job. After putting the entire dash back in and Turning on the Heat/Ac i was unhappy to find myself getting foam **** shot all over my car and face.. :mad: Anyway it appeared alot of people said that it was needed to remove the entire dash etc. to once again access the internals of the heater box the fix this foam covering the blend door so that the cold air and hot air dont combined leaving you with nuk warm air coming from your max setting..

To get started here is a diagram of the mk4 heating system/dash

Step:1 was just removing the center counsel witch we all know is a two piece section. E-brake and shift portion of your plastics.. After wards i removed the glove box, drivers side plastics and radio bezel for more access..

Step:2 After all the plastic removal i took a long phillips head screw driver threw the dash frame where the radio bezel mounted so i could access the two screws that mount the front plastic heater box panel into place.. In my image posted above you will see the panel im referring to have the number (14) on thee front.. After the two screws are removed you will need a flat head screw driver there are (7) locking tabs along that front panel that you will need to pry on to remove that plastic cover.. Your gonna wanna flip the bottom side up toward the moon roof and slide to out from under the dash then.. leaving you with full access ..

I just removed the remainder of the foam left, wiped off the aluminum flap doors with lacquer and installed aluminum heat tape for duct work and there you have it, reassemble the dash turn on your heat and enjoy... Hope this wasnt to ghetto has i never made a diy but i know it will help few fellow dubbers in need... :laugh:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Used this thread to fix my car today

Perfect. And it was nice not to have to tear down the whole dash. It sure is nice to get it working again. It also made the car's HVAC quieter too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Seems this is the 'easiest' solution so far?

so you are splitting the center air duct which going 'up' into half?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts

This DIY was a life saver. Although the screw to access the cover for the blend door was a hex screw and not a philips. So I had to improvise with a screw driver and I believe a 1/4 socket. I'm able to control the thermostat. Before all I got was cold air. Looks like I got my heater back right before the cold weather hits!

As you can see from my pic...all my foam was gone.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Where did you place the duct work tape at?
On those metal doors covering the holes. It's. A little bit of a pain getting your hands in there to do it. Also I noticed that the knob to switch the air flow was a harder to turn probably because I taped to much passed the door.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When you taped it did you cover the holes up completely or just around it? do you have a picture of what it looks like after its done? i know it probably sounds like a stupid question but I'm a newb!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
When you taped it did you cover the holes up completely or just around it? do you have a picture of what it looks like after its done? i know it probably sounds like a stupid question but I'm a newb!
I covered up the holes completely. Sorry, but I don't have a pic of it complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Prying the tabs off

Stupid question but how do you pry the tabs off to get into the box? I've been messing with them for at least and hour and can't get them to budge.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I want to bump this thread because, now my car blows hot air evenly in cold weather instead of a mix of warm and cold air!
A big thank you for this thread.

I ended up removing both parts of the pipe that brings the air from the climatronic box to the air circulation vent.
I moved the dash a little instead of removing all the little plastic tab. Kept all the steering parts and pulled it forward a little to have more space. You only have a couple of screws left anyways so that the dash is out.

One thing Ive notice is that the two 6mm screws are bolted on the other plastic part: so if you remove only the outer part by prying the seven plastic tabs: you dont need to remove the screws.

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
Looks like a pain in the arse. I'm also having heater issues with my climatronic.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Finished Product

Just finished this DIY and wanted to post a pic of what it looks like finished since others have asked...

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Do the flaps originally have foam on both sides of each flap?

In which case can the flap be popped out of its pivot so you can get to the back?

I mean by spreading the climatronic box open enough at that point to pop out the flap?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts