VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I always have problems with making these tough desicions. I think I want the 24v because of the extra hp and a little better mpg, but I heard the 12v sounds sexier, and is easier to work on with cheaper mods too. Please help me with this decision. Btw I just drove a 24v and loved it but his needed a lot of work.
:banghead:

·
Registered
466 Posts
12 exhaust valves will always sound better than 6...

Make up your mind and get the 24v

·
Registered
259 Posts
i got the 12v and i just drove my buddies 24v the other day and hands down his pulls much harder...
but with my magnaflow exhaust mine sounds sexier... but i think its kinda like phone sex, sounds good but you really don't know what's on the other end. :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know though, the 12v is so much more affordable too though and yes I have heard of the timing belt problems but if you replace it every 75-100K miles it is not supposed to be a problem. ecs tuning has a replacement kit for about $250

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay so the 24v does not have the chain issue, correct? but I heard that the 24v is a complete pain to work on, and i'm on a tighter budget. I think it will most likley come down to what I can find near me, there is a really nice 12v near me that I might go look at, and to look at another 24v it will be a 4hr drive to just look at it.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
okay so the 24v does not have the chain issue, correct? but I heard that the 24v is a complete pain to work on, and i'm on a tighter budget. I think it will most likley come down to what I can find near me, there is a really nice 12v near me that I might go look at, and to look at another 24v it will be a 4hr drive to just look at it.:banghead::banghead::banghead:
If you replace it on any VR at the proper intervals, you're fine. It doesn't matter which one.. just keep an eye on it.

Also, EVERY VR is a pain in the a$$ to work on. I guess a 24v is more complicated, though. Don't expect it to be easy breezy with a 12v just cause it isn't a 24v.

VR's are probably the least reliable, most annoying engine of the MKIV's.. but it's still my favorite. :thumbup:

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you replace it on any VR at the proper intervals, you're fine. It doesn't matter which one.. just keep an eye on it.

Also, EVERY VR is a pain in the a$$ to work on. I guess a 24v is more complicated, though. Don't expect it to be easy breezy with a 12v just cause it isn't a 24v.

VR's are probably the least reliable, most annoying engine of the MKIV's.. but it's still my favorite. :thumbup:
:beer::beer::beer:

·
13,690 Posts
Where did you hear that? The 24v, is probably close to or on par with the 2.Slow on reliability with longevity. There are virtually no major issues with the engine. 12v is a little bit of a different story, but still, very reliable if maintained properly.

As with all VWs (and most other european cars) however, what you put into them is what you'll get in return. Follow all maintenance intervals to a 'T' and regardless of what engine the car has, unless it has major recalls or is a lemon, it will be reliable.

:beer:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts

Hahaha are you ****ing high? You think a 1.8t is more reliable???
**** outta here dude :facepalm:

My little brother has one, and after 60k they basically fall to ****.
It's a turbo motor, they will never ever be more reliable than an N/A motor.

Sorry for cursing :heart:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Hahaha are you ****ing high? You think a 1.8t is more reliable???
**** outta here dude :facepalm:

My little brother has one, and after 60k they basically fall to ****.
It's a turbo motor, they will never ever be more reliable than an N/A motor.

Sorry for cursing :heart:
So because you're brother's 1.8t "fell to ****" means that all 1.8t's are unreliable? Ask anyone one here and they'll tell you which is easier to work on, if you count that in towards reliability. And I can't agree that anything is as reliable as a 2.0, I could piss in the oil pan if I ran outta oil and drive 300 miles before having to pee in it again to continue driving :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
So because you're brother's 1.8t "fell to ****" means that all 1.8t's are unreliable? Ask anyone one here and they'll tell you which is easier to work on, if you count that in towards reliability. And I can't agree that anything is as reliable as a 2.0, I could piss in the oil pan if I ran outta oil and drive 300 miles before having to pee in it again to continue driving :thumbup:
No I was just saying I have some experience with those engines, being that my brother has one.
Probably shoulda separated the statements. But to my knowledge, most 1.8ts do not last long before it goes to hell.
Like I said, when it comes to reliability N/A>Turbo

But yeah the 2.0 probably wins for reliability out of the three, but it's lame haha
And if you want reliable buy a GM product with a 3800 series motor.
Bought one and drove it for two days and then the engine blew, turns out the po took off the oil pan and forgot to put it back on.

Two days, no oil.
The f?

Ninja edit:
Also, if my VR6 never breaks down, I never have to really work on it. So who cares which is easier to fix if one never breaks? See my point?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Yeah keep up with everything on almost any engine and it'll last, but when you have to change a VR's chains, I'd rather do a 1.8 timing belt. Not saying it's really harder, I'm just not looking forward to it :(, 2.0's timing belt wasn't so bad. But yes generally NA>FI reliability I can't argue that.

I lol'd about that 3800, those are good motors my buddy's about to pick up an 04 L36 Monte Carlo SS with 45k miles on it, the non S/C 3800. Definitely garage kept, it's spotless. I'd trust 90% of GM engines over a lot of things. Same buddy's grandfather has an 06 Avalanche with 435k on it, tranny finally gave in around 400k, 5.3 vortech still kicking :laugh:. I'm still waiting for my dad to give up his 02 Silverado 6.0 4 door so I can buy it off him, only 32k on it :screwy:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.