VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20th, with coilovers.
I plan to raise her to stock ride height for autoX, as the street stance is nifty, but not spoiler friendly on the course.
Question: If you have a Mk4 and you've made measurements, what height gets those control arms level/closest to level? Wondering if higher, as in all-the-other-Mk4 cars height is better...

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Re: Mk4 GTI autoX suspension adjustment question (Jman5000)

It does not make sense to arbitrarily adjust the suspension to achieve a desired height.
The original design intent of a coilover (as introduced on Formula One cars in the late fifties) is to enable the vehicle corner weights to be balanced. This is done based on vehicle spec, track layout/conditions and driver’s handling preferences, …not to simply raise or lower the vehicle as the tuner crowd does.
Indeed, its better to have the vehicle close to stock ride height to ensure some needed compliance, but be aware that the lower control arms on stock GTI Mk IVs are not level to begin with as the geometry was changed from the MK IIIs (…where the “level” rule of thumb applies).
Raise the vehicle as close to the stock ride height as possible as a baseline (disregard the level control arm rule on a Mk IV). Then seek out a shop, team or individual with a set of scales, and have the car properly corner weighted with you in it and a half tank of fuel. If you have access to a set of scales and want to attempt it on your own, check out this article in Grassroots Motorsports to start: http://www.grmotorsports.com/cornerweight.html
The difference between a properly corner weighted car and one that is just arbitrarily raised or lowered is like night and day.

Cheers,
Juergen

·
Registered
18,206 Posts
Re: Mk4 GTI autoX suspension adjustment question (TechEd)

Quote, originally posted by TechEd »
It does not make sense to arbitrarily adjust the suspension to achieve a desired height.
The original design intent of a coilover (as introduced on Formula One cars in the late fifties) is to enable the vehicle corner weights to be balanced. This is done based on vehicle spec, track layout/conditions and driver’s handling preferences, …not to simply raise or lower the vehicle as the tuner crowd does.
Indeed, its better to have the vehicle close to stock ride height to ensure some needed compliance, but be aware that the lower control arms on stock GTI Mk IVs are not level to begin with as the geometry was changed from the MK IIIs (…where the “level” rule of thumb applies).
Raise the vehicle as close to the stock ride height as possible as a baseline (disregard the level control arm rule on a Mk IV). Then seek out a shop, team or individual with a set of scales, and have the car properly corner weighted with you in it and a half tank of fuel. If you have access to a set of scales and want to attempt it on your own, check out this article in Grassroots Motorsports to start: http://www.grmotorsports.com/cornerweight.html
The difference between a properly corner weighted car and one that is just arbitrarily raised or lowered is like night and day.

Cheers,
Juergen

while i agree on corner balancing -- i don't agree on the control arm bits.
we're working through the calculations and models in the suspension forum, and so far (the models aren't fine tuned yet) it looks like flat control arms are still going to be the way -- even on a mkiv. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Re: Mk4 GTI autoX suspension adjustment question (John A)

John, out of curiousity as I haven't seen the threads in the Suspension forum yet (will look tonight), are you guys considering the the geometry dynamically as well, or just in a static position?

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Mk4 GTI autoX suspension adjustment question (Mhyrr)

I'd love to get it corner balanced and realllly set the car up, but I don't have the time and/or resources to do so right now.
What I'm going for is better front suspension travel for some amateur Sunday thrills.
One day, I will do the magic of corner balancing.

·
Registered
18,206 Posts
Re: Mk4 GTI autoX suspension adjustment question (Mhyrr)

dynamically as well. we're still getting the model nailed down, but once it's done it'll be a cakewalk to swap spring rates, ride height, camber to see how it reacts at various amounts of turn and roll.

·
Registered
12,147 Posts
Re: Mk4 GTI autoX suspension adjustment question (John A)

Jason, i just met a customer who had his A4 and his friends E36 M3 corner balanced not too long ago at a shop in Columbus call Achbach Auto Industries. Both guys said they do a great job and with the corner weighting and alignment it was like $150 which doesnt sound too unreasonable to me.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Re: Mk4 GTI autoX suspension adjustment question (VR6 NRG)

I just had my Scirocco corner weighted in an attempt to cure an understeer problem around right-hand corners. It worked and worked well, the car feels really good, definitely one of the better investments I've made.. Cost me $150..

·
Registered
12,147 Posts
Re: Mk4 GTI autoX suspension adjustment question (JBrian)

wow if it helps with something like that then i will look into it.
my MKiV understeers a lot in some tight corners, if i could get that reduced i'm all for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts