VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there anyplaces that make harness bars for a MK4 GTI. I have seen some setups on other cars where people run a bar between the b pillars, but I can't find any products for MK4 GTI. If not, could you run a harness from a rear upper strut brace? Thanks! I am running in DSP, but I hate sliding my seat back, pulling my seat belt taught, and then sliding my seat back forward to stay in place while I'm on my runs

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: MK4 Harness Bars? (Rally VW)

So I'm guessing they dont.....lol

·
Registered
399 Posts
Re: MK4 Harness Bars? (Rally VW)

Take a look at the Schroth Quick Release harnesses for VW/Audi. They use existing belt mounting points.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: MK4 Harness Bars? (d_jabsd)

Quote, originally posted by d_jabsd »
Take a look at the Schroth Quick Release harnesses for VW/Audi. They use existing belt mounting points.

Wow those look pretty neat! Thanks!

·
Banned
12,154 Posts
Re: MK4 Harness Bars? (Martinus)

I've always liked the Sparco ones, but they do not offer them for VWs or Audis. We've contemplated approaching them and asking them to manufacture them, but they'd probably require a lot of you good mates here on the Vortex to pony up the demand for them.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Re: MK4 Harness Bars? (MJM Autohaus)

Quote, originally posted by MJM Autohaus »

Yeah, I want something that will keep the reclineing/folding seats from collapsing, and myself nice and upright in an incident ... esp. if it ends up on its lid, with the greenhouse failing ...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Re: MK4 Harness Bars? (Ian F)

It attaches to the upper belt mount bolts.
You could probablly get a cage builder to bend a bar that would fit. It looks pretty simple, two bends, a couple tabs, thats about it. You could always got to autopower.com and pick up a bolt-in roll bar that you could take out. At least that would protect your melon in a roll-over.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Re: MK4 Harness Bars? (Ian F)

How can sparco stay in buissness with such a death trap ? ....is there a long disclamer that you have to sign ? ... unpon stall . They MUST have OJ's dream team ... how does the owners insurance handle the "altering" of seabelt mounts ? ( bolts )
Not the same, but I see similar fail photos of above mentioned pruduct .
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4624353

Modified by Martinus at 9:22 PM 12-3-2009

·
Registered
776 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Martinus »
How can sparco stay in buissness with such a death trap ? ....is there a long disclamer that you have to sign ? ... unpon stall . They MUST have OJ's dream team ... how does the owners insurance handle the "altering" of seabelt mounts ? ( bolts )
Not the same, but I see similar fail photos of above mentioned pruduct .
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4624353

Modified by Martinus at 9:22 PM 12-3-2009

I was going to post about this a few weeks ago but because I'm so negative already, I left it alone.
Thanks for speaking up. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
There's no way I'd use one of those.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Re: MK4 Harness Bars? (Autocross83gti)

One day, people will figure out when it time for safety equip. its ALL or NOTHING .
... one day.

·
Registered
9,073 Posts

the upper mount for mk3-4 cars are easy but its the lower mount that would need some work....
im gonna make one work for mk3 just cause i had an old sparco bar from another car.
ill post back when i got the sparco seat mounted and then ill make the bar work.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
The Sparco bar for a GD Impreza can be made to work with the MKIV.
I used some of the hardware from a BFI C-Pillar brace, and bolted it right in. It was extremely secure, and stiffened the car up quite a bit.
This did not remove the OEM seatbelts. I continued to use OEM for daily driving, and used the harness for Autox.
You do lose the ability to fold down your back seat though.
Here's some pics:

·
Registered
195 Posts
i know this thread is ancient but this is a FANTASTIC idea! god i love the search function :) gonna do this in the next couple months for sure!

The Sparco bar for a GD Impreza can be made to work with the MKIV.
I used some of the hardware from a BFI C-Pillar brace, and bolted it right in. It was extremely secure, and stiffened the car up quite a bit.
This did not remove the OEM seatbelts. I continued to use OEM for daily driving, and used the harness for Autox.
You do lose the ability to fold down your back seat though.
Here's some pics:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts