VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to taking out the tranny to further investigate wtf went wrong.
Got mostly everything out and cracked loose when I finally go to take out the bolts holding tranny to motor I noticed this top bolt leaning coolant! I went to remove the bolt and it started pissing fluid everywhere!

Can someone please tell me wtf that could be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37,452 Posts
Someone put the wrong bolt in that spot. Its quite common, the longer bolt pierces the cooling passage behind it. While the trans is off you can put a plug in it (allen key). I usually grind the top down so its not as deep and use blue loctite to seal it. Then use the correct bolt with a washer or two.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone put the wrong bolt in that spot. Its quite common, the longer bolt pierces the cooling passage behind it. While the trans is off you can put a plug in it (allen key). I usually grind the top down so its not as deep and use blue loctite to seal it. Then use the correct bolt with a washer or two.
Makes sense why thank you so much. I’m gonna drain it and see what’s up

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like most of the coolant out. Just gotta crack transfer case off and she’s free. Can’t wait to see what’s behind all this ****. Got rained out so I was t able to finish today. Hopefully tomorrow

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tranny being a complete bitch coming out. Dumped all trans fluid caught most of it but of course staining the driveway lol.
Can you be more specific on how I’m going to plug or seal the coolant passage?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like this:

If the one you find is too deep just grind it to depth. Then install washers on the bolt so it doesn't bottom out on the plug.
Oh ****! Ok. Hopefully the wife lets me work on her tomorrow. I gotta see how this will plug it! These seem to be all the same so how far hell did this happen!?! This sucks ya?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts