VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing the mk4 rear caliper swap on my mk3, anybody know what my options are for the rear flex lines? the new style calipers use banjo style fittings

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Re: mk4 rear calipers (gmdoctor)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'm doing the mk4 rear caliper swap on my mk3, anybody know what my options are for the rear flex lines? the new style calipers use banjo style fittings[HR][/HR]​
You need the flex lines for an A4. If you are getting used calipers, you can usually get the used lines with them, though I don't like using used rubber hoses if I can avoid it. New lines for an A4 work fine, too.
If you are buying the calipers from an online source, most places offer "kits" that include the clipers and the flex lines together.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: mk4 rear calipers (Racer_X)

I have the rear lines but but am affraid to start bending them around for fear of them breaking, I just figured if I could find a compatible flex line similar to the mk3 one it would save me time

·
Registered
6,018 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I have the rear lines but but am affraid to start bending them around for fear of them breaking, I just figured if I could find a compatible flex line similar to the mk3 one it would save me time[HR][/HR]​
Do not bend the hard lines. You must have the flexible lines that connect from the hard lines to the calipers. Those flexible lines must be for an A4 car.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

the mk4 flex lines are integrated into the hard line(1 piece) all the way to the front of the axle

·
Registered
6,018 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]the mk4 flex lines are integrated into the hard line(1 piece) all the way to the front of the axle[HR][/HR]​
Well, then you need some hydraulic lines that go from the ISO flares to the appropriate banjo fittings. I'm not sure exactly which lines you need. Adirondack and ECS Tuning both sell kits that include the flexible lines. Here's a pic of the kit from Adirondac:

Perhaps you can call them and get the flexible hoses separately.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

the flex lines shown would be perfect but I'm not aware of any place that sells just lines,

·
Registered
6,018 Posts

Have you called any of the places with the kits and asked them about it? They are getting those lines from someplace and putting the kits together themselves. What happens if buy their kit and you have a blowout and the tire chunks cut just one of your rear brake lines? I'm pretty sure they can sell you just the lines or at least order them for you.
Those lines are for another car that uses banjo fittings on the calipers. Banjo fittings aren't that common for caliper connections, but the A4 VWs aren't the first (or only) cars to use those fittings. If you ask around, you might be able to figure out which cars have the same fittings on the ends that you need.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

yeah you gotta point, I just figured that maybe I can just crodd refernce them from another car for the very reason of one of them failing, just walk into the dealer or whatever and order, that problem is I dont want to tie my hands behind my back with specialty parts. any way thanks for your input http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts