VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Curious what everyone has done to cure wheel hop, if they had it to start with, in their Mk4. I had some bad wheelhop when I was stock with my 03 VR6.
My old drag car was a scirocco with a 170whp 8v and that thing just hooked and went and never hopped. It had all poly bushing, poly motor mount inserts, solid rear mount, and slicks.

I have replaced the control arm bushings and I have VF side motor mounts in the Mk4. I also built a motor plate in conjunction with an 034 dogbone mount to stiffen things up (dogbone mount hole has been drilled out multiple times by previous owner). The car now has a 24V turbo and will be running a "boost by gear" for 1-2 and 3-5.

Are slicks the final piece of the equation? I thought about running some 245/45/17 MT ET Street Rs so I can just drive to the track but I don't want to be breaking axles by hopping. I have Raxles but Marty told me he didn't reccomend running slicks with them on a VR6 turbo. I know plenty of people have done it though and Im sure a preloaded dead hook is less stressfull than hopping.

Would traction bars help too? I can build a cross brace between the frame horns and tie some adjustable rod ends into the stock swaybar mounts on the control arms. I have just about everything in the garage to do that.

I don't know if I'm going to get as deep into drag racing as I used to be by buying a second set of wheels and tires etc but I also dont want to half-ass things so looking for some advice from those who have been there/done that.

Thanks!

Old car:

·
Registered
424 Posts
I just responded to another similar question. Adjustable Kong’s on front set at full stiff. Also, if your running a manual transmission, a light, very light, flywheel will help immensely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.