VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I’m hoping to get some insight.

I have a 2008 Gti, manual transmission that just started to make a clicking/ticking noise under the driver side foot well. It sounds like a relay clicking. It happens from a approximately 1100-1800 rpm only when accelerating. I’ve noticed it while I was in traffic. There is no noise when reving the motor up in that range when the car is in neutral. No cel and the car drivers fine.

It is not the infamous fuel line rattle or the recirculating door motor and does not sound mechanical, more electrical.

I’ve searched some posts on here and found that others have had the same problem with no solution.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it only makes that noise when the vehicle is moving? What speeds? Do you hear it all the time in any gear between 1100-1800 RPM?
Yea, maybe even less. Like 800-1600 rpm. When I was recording it was on a smooth road. Not the suspension either. I’ve seen a lot of forums with people that have the same issue but no concrete solution. Some reply’s are to replace the 449 relay by the headlight switch. I don’t want to replace all of these relays if I don’t have to.

·
Registered
9,838 Posts
Cant really tell in that video but does the speed of the noise get faster with you vehicle speed/rpms?

Have a scan tool that looks at the complete car, all modules?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cant really tell in that video but does the speed of the noise get faster with you vehicle speed/rpms?

Have a scan tool that looks at the complete car, all modules?
The clicking gets slightly faster but still at random intervals. It completely stops whenever it gets above approx 1900rpms. Unfortunately I don’t have a scan tool. Would the OBDelevel brand tool be a good one?

·
Registered
9,838 Posts
Ross Tech Vcds but they start at $200 new or try and find a genuine RT scan tool for less if you can, they seem to hold their value for the unlimited VIN versions.

Have you tried turning off all the Hvac functions and then check if you still hear the noise?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haha, I thought you we going towards something technical. Not just turning the heating/cooling off. I drove with it off my entire drive home today bc it was close to 50 degrees. Made the noise only a few times. I think the cold temperatures are causing it but it could be just a coincidence that it started when I got cold.

·
Registered
9,838 Posts
Yes ODBeleven is easier for doing tweaks not as many steps as with Vcds. Vcds has a great forum and if you get verified you get complete access to post anywhere on the forum and ask for help. You are automatically verified when you by their tool from them or distributor. If you buy a genuine used vcds scan tool you will need to pay $90 or $100 to get verified so you might want to consider that in the price of a used scan tool.

·
Registered
9,838 Posts
Haha, I thought you we going towards something technical. Not just turning the heating/cooling off. I drove with it off my entire drive home today bc it was close to 50 degrees. Made the noise only a few times. I think the cold temperatures are causing it but it could be just a coincidence that it started when I got cold.
Try it with the heat on tomorrow and perhaps use the different settings and see if the noise is more frequent or responds to certain setting.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Try it with the heat on tomorrow and perhaps use the different settings and see if the noise is more frequent or responds to certain setting.
So here’s what I got…. The clicking went away yesterday but came back today. As well as my abs light. The abs light came on a few months ago and when I was waiting for the 4 sensors to come in it shut off. Hasn’t been on in a couple of months so I never changed them. The rmp range has increased from about 900-1900, regardless of speed. It happens accelerating and without accelerating as long as it’s in that range. It stops however, once I apply the brake. I also noticed the same click sound when I’m releasing my brake pedal, at the top when my foot is almost off. Do you think the abs sensors are tripping a relay of some sort?!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts