VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

441 - 460 of 462 Posts

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
One thing I am sure about is transfer case has 2 input shafts: inner for right front axle and outer for rear differential. So the real question is if FWD tranny differential has this pre-diff outer output shaft for rear diff. I did not have time to research this.
No

·
Registered
32 Posts
Halidex + rear diff

I am having bearing issues in my 09 cc vr6 halidex unit. I have been told that there is no repair for those. If you know of anything that could help that would be appreciated. With that said where did you find yours and how much did you pay?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Reviving thread

Recently bought mk5 R32, and immediately wanted to convert the car to stick.. I have the 6 speed manual trans that i sourced from UK.. Just got all of the linkage, hydraulic lines, pedals, etc that is needed to do the swap.. the only thing i need to know now is how do i use the VagCom to tune the ECU to think it is manual.. Ive been through the whole post and read that there were no codes when changing the engine coding to 072 from 172.. I just need to know what the dsg code is and what the 6MT code is and once i know that the swap will be done.. I already have all the parts needed, just need to know what and how to change.
Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
76 Posts
Recently bought mk5 R32, and immediately wanted to convert the car to stick.. I have the 6 speed manual trans that i sourced from UK.. Just got all of the linkage, hydraulic lines, pedals, etc that is needed to do the swap.. the only thing i need to know now is how do i use the VagCom to tune the ECU to think it is manual.. Ive been through the whole post and read that there were no codes when changing the engine coding to 072 from 172.. I just need to know what the dsg code is and what the 6MT code is and once i know that the swap will be done.. I already have all the parts needed, just need to know what and how to change.
Thanks,
Ron
The R32 ECU don't accept manual coding changes (not that I have found so far anyway). I have a Euro 2006 MK5 R32 ECU here now, to go into my R32 Touran conversion, and changing to the codong for manual transmission results in an out of range error.

There are some wiring loom changes you'll have to make anyway, so you may as well do them, and then see what happens with your ECU coding. You can change the gateway coding so it doesn't see an autobox, and see if it works. you *may* need toe ABS module from a manual trans R32 as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anyone on here tried to swap a mk5 gti to R32 drivetrain? That's a goal of mine but I'm sure it's more than I'm capable of seeing as I have very little experience. I believe a 2008 TT drivetrain would work and those come with a manual gearbox. Any insight is highly appreciated.
Thanks guys! Awesome thread.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
i have a 2009 Jetta sportwagen TDI 6 speed manual and am considering pursuing the 4motion swap. What year range of 4mo Tiguans would I be looking for that would have the compatible rear subframe, diff, and other bolt-ons?

Additionally, is there a difference between gas and diesel haldex units? I assume they're all the same ratio regardless, depending on the generation of haldex. Is a DSG angle drive the same as one from a manual, or how about tiguan auto?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
i have a 2009 Jetta sportwagen TDI 6 speed manual and am considering pursuing the 4motion swap. What year range of 4mo Tiguans would I be looking for that would have the compatible rear subframe, diff, and other bolt-ons?

Additionally, is there a difference between gas and diesel haldex units? I assume they're all the same ratio regardless, depending on the generation of haldex. Is a DSG angle drive the same as one from a manual, or how about tiguan auto?
I havent personally checked out tiguan parts but I think ideally you want mk5/6 R/R32 or A3. I think there are some differences on the tiguan stuff but could be wrong. Also Im pretty sure the tiguan angle drive would most likely be completely different as they are a regular automatic.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I thought so too, about the tiguan angle drive. So the general consensus is that a DSG angle drive will bolt up to a 6 speed manual, if the mounting holes are there? So I should be good if I get one from an mk5/6 R32, Golf R, TT, A3 etc? how about mk7? I just want to confirm the years of Gen 4 Haldex, but that may only apply to the rear diff and haldex unit (as long as ratios did not change between generations). If anyone could confirm this, that would be great. I'd like to make a one stop shop and take everything from the same car if possible

·
Registered
1 Posts
Malo I'm attempting to do this swap myself and was wondering which parts you for sure had to get over seas. A lot of the info I'm finding seems to be left unanswered and I was wondering if I could get an update of what you had the worked, and what was still needing figured out. I'd love to help figure this one out because it's a pretty common dream for is mkv guys but I don't think anyone has achieved victory. This is a new account so I couldn't message you directly

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Malo I'm attempting to do this swap myself and was wondering which parts you for sure had to get over seas. A lot of the info I'm finding seems to be left unanswered and I was wondering if I could get an update of what you had the worked, and what was still needing figured out. I'd love to help figure this one out because it's a pretty common dream for is mkv guys but I don't think anyone has achieved victory. This is a new account so I couldn't message you directly
I dont think anything needs sourced from overseas anymore unless you are looking for specific gear ratios or something like that.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I thought so too, about the tiguan angle drive. So the general consensus is that a DSG angle drive will bolt up to a 6 speed manual, if the mounting holes are there? So I should be good if I get one from an mk5/6 R32, Golf R, TT, A3 etc? how about mk7? I just want to confirm the years of Gen 4 Haldex, but that may only apply to the rear diff and haldex unit (as long as ratios did not change between generations). If anyone could confirm this, that would be great. I'd like to make a one stop shop and take everything from the same car if possible
The picture that I posted above is of an Audi TT 2.0T TSI DSG transfer case (or angle drive, whichever you prefer). So yes, you can use the DSG unit just fine.
The only other component you need to interface the two parts is the differential. You will need an AWD differential to mate up to the transfer case properly.

As for the transmissions that have the mounting holes, I've been taking a look at all of the Mk5, Mk6, B6, Audi A3 and Mk2 TT vehicles that have come through the shop as work is done on them.
From what I can tell, FSI/TSI Mk5s and 2006-2009 Passats and CCs all have the mounting holes for the transfer case.

Your question earlier about the Tiguan compatibility, the rear subframe on that car and the differential will not work.
I have had the fortune (misfortune?) of trying out the different rear subframes, rear differential assemblies and prop shafts on my CC.
The rear subframe and differential assembly from a A3/S3/Golf R are all the same dimensional-wise. However, the Tiguan, Passat and CC rear subframes and differentials are different from them.
Think of it this way, all the smaller chassis vehicles use the same parts and all of the larger chassis vehicles have the same parts.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
great, thanks for the info!
No problem! We actually just finished putting my transmission back together and everything functions as though it was an AWD transmission from the get-go.
Now to just wire everything up and figure out any ECU issues that arise.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Good stuff charles!!
Now what gas tanks options do we have? Only A3 and r32?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe that your only options are going to be those and the Golf R. However, I haven't really researched the specifics on that part of the swap for an "A" chassis car.
Most of my research has been into the B6 chassis, but there is a lot of overlap obviously. From what little I have researched on it, you will need to modify the body in order to complete the swap on a FWD Mk5/6 vehicle though.
The B6 chassis is a bit easier since everything bolts right up from a 3.6 4motion vehicle.

For those looking for more information on the transmission side of the swap, please feel free to check out my build thread. I've recently updated it with some more information and pics about that part of the swap.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It did not die. A friend of mine took all the parts and installed 4Motion in his Jetta TDI Cup Edition. Plus tons of other stuff:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206850133595160&set=o.159340420856565&type=3&theater
Damn. I can’t refuse the offer I’m getting for buyback on my cup edition! I was originally going stage 3 4motion. But I have no rust warranty and car is rusting to **** up here in Canada. Saddens me. Next idea: mk6 tdi 4motion wagon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Why can i not see any of these photos, when you see the third party hosting image and you got to photobucket/p500 it wants you to pay to see the images.. and i wanna know all i can about the awd swap as i might take it on

·
Registered
134 Posts
Going to try and resurrect this thread.

So I have a MK6 DSG GTI and I'm looking at doing the AWD swap (I'll stick with DSG).

Can the Tiguan AWD transmission be used? I only ask because it's cheaper for me to get one vs getting a A3 quattro.

Does the transmission code matter? or will any one do?

What are the pain points for the wiring and coding? Does anyone have any good links explaining what needs to be done on that front? I've heard it shouldn't be too bad since i'm sticking with DSG.

Thanks!

441 - 460 of 462 Posts