VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard the mk5 r32 has the battery located in the trunk from the factory. I'm looking to relocate my battery and fuse box if possible to the trunk of my mkv gti.
I guess what I'm trying to get at is how do I make this work on the gti? I'd like to do it just how the R comes from factory.
I've asked all over and I can't find the details,
thanks

·
Registered
979 Posts
Re: mk5 R32 rear battery? (rkmoore)

It would be really hard to move the fuse box to the rear with the battery. You could move the battery but you would loose your spare tire in the process. I would not attempt to move the fuse box it would be a wiring nightmare. If you did move the battery then all you would need to do it run a positive wire from the rear to the front of the car. This would also be a bit of a pain because the wire gage, it could be done with time and effort. Also you would need to devise a way to mount the battery, in the end I don't think it is worth the pain of attempting.
My previous car before the R was an 06 GTI so I know both cars very well and did contemplate doing this on my GTI but in the end I decided against it.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
FV-QR

The mk5 R has a completely different rear floorpan than the GTI/Rabbit. This allows for the battery box as well as the haldex to fit under there. (The floorpan is higher than a normal Golf.)
So, you can do it, but you either have to cut out your old floorpan and weld in the new one, or you have to build a battery box and lose your spare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.