VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I´ve tried to google around but I didn´t find matching issue, so I hope for the best here!

Long story short,
my GTI (MK6 2,0TSI CCZB 155kW) developed a problem about a month ago, it never happened before.
I was overtaking cars, WOT, 3rd gear, as I got to approx 4000 RPM, the engine cut off the power completely, shifted to 4th, no power, I barely overtook and lined myself, put in 6th and just cruised. I plugged VCDS straight after and there was NO FAULT CODE in ECU?!
I changed spark plugs, cleaned MAF, checked hoses...Still the same, for example I rev it in 2nd up to redline, shift to 3rd and the power is gone, or it pulls a while and then BOOM, power is gone, it´s almost like if I hit a brake, very violent. If I stay on the throttle, the car either ignore it and RPM is just steady, or it jerks and jumps. After holding the throttle I got P0087 for low pressure on rail.

So I asked friend to help me with VCDS logging, we logged the boost (acctual matched requested), MAF readings peaking around 205g (Stage 1), fuel pressure match requested (up to 160bars) however when it reached 160 for a while, it suddenly dropped, sometimes to 3,5, sometimes to 60 bars...So I decided to change the LPFP as I suspected it to not deliver enough fuel. I changed it together with fuel filter, no change. So I throw in new HPFP and inspected the follwer, no change whatsoever.

Chains are changed 10k km ago, intake valves and injectors cleaned 5k km ago...I checked the DV connector (running on revision C with piston design) and the connector is dry, without oil. Car is always running on 98+ octane with oil changes after 8k km...Stage 1 is in for more than half a year with no issues...

Any help will be appreciated as I don´t have any more ideas...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi everyone,

I´ve tried to google around but I didn´t find matching issue, so I hope for the best here!

Long story short,
my GTI (MK6 2,0TSI CCZB 155kW) developed a problem about a month ago, it never happened before.
I was overtaking cars, WOT, 3rd gear, as I got to approx 4000 RPM, the engine cut off the power completely, shifted to 4th, no power, I barely overtook and lined myself, put in 6th and just cruised. I plugged VCDS straight after and there was NO FAULT CODE in ECU?!
I changed spark plugs, cleaned MAF, checked hoses...Still the same, for example I rev it in 2nd up to redline, shift to 3rd and the power is gone, or it pulls a while and then BOOM, power is gone, it´s almost like if I hit a brake, very violent. If I stay on the throttle, the car either ignore it and RPM is just steady, or it jerks and jumps. After holding the throttle I got P0087 for low pressure on rail.

So I asked friend to help me with VCDS logging, we logged the boost (acctual matched requested), MAF readings peaking around 205g (Stage 1), fuel pressure match requested (up to 160bars) however when it reached 160 for a while, it suddenly dropped, sometimes to 3,5, sometimes to 60 bars...So I decided to change the LPFP as I suspected it to not deliver enough fuel. I changed it together with fuel filter, no change. So I throw in new HPFP and inspected the follwer, no change whatsoever.

Chains are changed 10k km ago, intake valves and injectors cleaned 5k km ago...I checked the DV connector (running on revision C with piston design) and the connector is dry, without oil. Car is always running on 98+ octane with oil changes after 8k km...Stage 1 is in for more than half a year with no issues...

Any help will be appreciated as I don´t have any more ideas...
Check for boost leaks (requested vs. actual) and upgrade your coil packs. Both of those cause my car to cut power as you describe above. Also make sure you are using 93 octane gas.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for suggestion!

Acctual boost is meeting the required all the way until the power cut, then everything drops of course...I´m going to flash stock software today to see if it helps, if not I will continue with ignition coils.

did you experience exactly the same? didn´t you have misfire fault codes?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did have a fault code which was being triggered from a boost leak. Plugs 1 step colder and upgrading the coils worked well for me and my tune.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your car seems to use it´s brain! my car just pretends that everything is all right, no issues :D

I went to my tuner yesterday and we switched everything to stock. The problem was still there, car cuts off at around 5000-5500 RPM, for half a second and then continues to pull...He made the tune again, even tho he didn´t find any issues in the codes...

On my way home I logged the car on the highway, I logged knock sensors, fuel pressure, boost...Knock sensors were fine, average voltage under load in high RPM was around 14V, sensor on 3rd cylinder spiked at 20 in one moment but it didn´t happen again. otherwise fuel pressure and boost meet requested values. Fuel pump duty cycle on idle was around 49%.

Also I pulled out my plugs yesterday, there were no signs of bad fueling or bad combustion, they weren´t wet, neither burned or miscoloured. The coils however appear to be the previous revision which VW changed for different design. Previously they had metal body all the way, then they changed for body with plastic for half of the body, I have the first one, so I will order new ones.

Also I will make compression test this week, hope that one will be fine

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
small update, I tried to swap ignition coils, no change in behavior, still the same cut at 5000+ RPM for a split second. However I noticed that my MAF was reading only about 185 at around 5000RPM, which is pretty low for Stage 1...I will try to unplug the MAF, but I don´t think it´s causing troubles...

anyway, right now I'm without ideas, so if someone has something on mind, I will appreciate it a lot..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I decided to log the car yesterday again, I checked the fault codes and I found P2015 for flap runner position sensor...do you guys think this might cause the issue I have? I tried basic settings but it thrown an Error all the time, flaps were moving randomly, sometimes they reached 100% and then they didn´t return to 0%, or they got into 0% but then weren't able to move to 100%...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I decided to log the car yesterday again, I checked the fault codes and I found P2015 for flap runner position sensor...do you guys think this might cause the issue I have? I tried basic settings but it thrown an Error all the time, flaps were moving randomly, sometimes they reached 100% and then they didn´t return to 0%, or they got into 0% but then weren't able to move to 100%...
Could be, the flap can break/malfunction/get stuck. Happened on my mom's CC and my wife's Tiguan. Had to replace the intake manifold on both cars which was covered under the extended warranty.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, little update...
I replaced the intake manifold with new sensor, the old one had broken shaft...
BUT THE ISSUE IS STILL THERE...I give up, I have no idea what it can be...

changed:

LPFP
HPFP
Fuel pressure sensor on the rail
Fuel filter
Spark Plugs
Coils
Intake manifold after malfunction
nothing helped...

anyone any ideas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
So, little update...
I replaced the intake manifold with new sensor, the old one had broken shaft...
BUT THE ISSUE IS STILL THERE...I give up, I have no idea what it can be...

changed:

LPFP
HPFP
Fuel pressure sensor on the rail
Fuel filter
Spark Plugs
Coils
Intake manifold after malfunction
nothing helped...

anyone any ideas?
Did you ever fix the issue??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts