VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about ways to improve our engines Intercoolinng system.
Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Gonna throw it out there and say no and probably not.

1. Most aren't going to develop a kit for the base engine
2. If they are, needs to be simple or adapt a higher end engine's to fit with this application to save costs due to demand / market
3. Not too much space there and I guess you could go slightly larger

You can always go to a good tuning shop and get them to custom make you one if you really want one, but I figured the cost involved is going to be more than it's worth.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks you. I really wasn’t expecting anyone for doing a kit for us.
My idea for the moment is to buy an air to air IC and couple the coolant hoses going to the AWIC. I might lose some boost but in return IATs should be almost or closer to AATs. I will need some routing for the pipes and maybe a couple measurements but again Air to Water is mostly effective for Drag strip races and specially if you’re going to ice it every time. For a DD I will say that Air to Air would be the best bet.
Again this is all ideas and custom work not like I expect anything from any manufacturers. Same goes for the turbo upgrade which later on I will look into it. It’s not really that hard even tho the manifold is integrated. Just gotta make a custom flange for the stock exhaust and put in a bigger turbo that bolts on to the stock flange. Obviously all custom but with a little here and there it should be better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here in Malaysia, many of the users are also finding a way around the IC.

Would love to see what others are doing right now or have done so far to the IC

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here in Malaysia, many of the users are also finding a way around the IC.

Would love to see what others are doing right now or have done so far to the IC
What I have in mind is pretty simple just needs someone to do it. Will need to use some couplers and route the piping to a front mount IC then come up and go to Throttle body or somewhere before Boost sensor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
anyone try treating the intercooler cooling system with products like water wetter? might be worth a shot, especially if it can reduce it by the full 20 degrees f.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone try treating the intercooler cooling system with products like water wetter? might be worth a shot, especially if it can reduce it by the full 20 degrees f.
I’ve thought about this as well since reviews say that it actually works

·
Registered
168 Posts
Water wetter does work but you have to use full distilled water which needs to be replaced more often and can't be used if it's going to be cold (so winter).

Also it's not dropping it by 20 degrees for daily driving. It's helping whenever you're tracking hard and the water is already past boiling to keep it under control. I used to go to a lot of HPDE's and always used water wetter swapped in but once I got home, swapped it back to normal.

If it worked that well all the time, manufacturers would incorporate it all the time. This is just like having some porterfield brake pads, great for track use, squeaky, but not really for daily driving.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Water wetter does work but you have to use full distilled water which needs to be replaced more often and can't be used if it's going to be cold (so winter).

Also it's not dropping it by 20 degrees for daily driving. It's helping whenever you're tracking hard and the water is already past boiling to keep it under control. I used to go to a lot of HPDE's and always used water wetter swapped in but once I got home, swapped it back to normal.

If it worked that well all the time, manufacturers would incorporate it all the time. This is just like having some porterfield brake pads, great for track use, squeaky, but not really for daily driving.
very good input, thank you for that. the only other thing i can think of is to incorporate an air to air setup to use in conjunction to the current water to air system. space is certainly at a premium, but im sure someone somewhere has done something similar. just throwing out ideas for now.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
very good input, thank you for that. the only other thing i can think of is to incorporate an air to air setup to use in conjunction to the current water to air system. space is certainly at a premium, but im sure someone somewhere has done something similar. just throwing out ideas for now.
AAIC system With the AWIC system or AAIC system alone or add another rad to the AWIC along With another Fan. There’s many options and ways and obviously we are looking for the one that will keep us closest to ambient while at track and DD.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why not just go for a front mount heat exchanger? Just need longer hoses and rout it to run through the HE prior to entering the Intake mani. Would take up less space. Still get the look too

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why not just go for a front mount heat exchanger? Just need longer hoses and rout it to run through the HE prior to entering the Intake mani. Would take up less space. Still get the look too

Yeah that’s what I meant by full Air to Air IC system. Another thing to consider is the boost pressure sensor since our ECU works by MAP and Boost pressure reading.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah that’s what I meant by full Air to Air IC system. Another thing to consider is the boost pressure sensor since our ECU works by MAP and Boost pressure reading.

A front mount heat exchanger is for water. Wouldn’t need to worry about and sensors by going that rout. Also would be cheaper then making air to air system.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A front mount heat exchanger is for water. Wouldn’t need to worry about and sensors by going that rout. Also would be cheaper then making air to air system.

So pretty much move the heat exchanger to the front instead of wherever is at? I was also thinking of just upgrading the stock AWIC system by adding more cooling agent and capacity and adding fans. Also if the stock system is using the engine coolant system then we need to isolate that system as well to run it’s own.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So pretty much move the heat exchanger to the front instead of wherever is at? I was also thinking of just upgrading the stock AWIC system by adding more cooling agent and capacity and adding fans. Also if the stock system is using the engine coolant system then we need to isolate that system as well to run it’s own.

That would need a second water pump to isolate the system... just add a front mount heat exchanger to the system prior to it entering the intake manifold. Or just buy a cheap FMIC kit off eaby and cut it in.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That would need a second water pump to isolate the system... just add a front mount heat exchanger to the system prior to it entering the intake manifold. Or just buy a cheap FMIC kit off eaby and cut it in.

Front mount heat exchanger you mean Air to Air right?
Yes I am aware that in order to isolate the Intercooling system these items at least are needed: E- Water pump, radiator, expansion tank or some sort of container, hoses, fans(specially when idling or not going at fast enough speeds). I think it would be best to also have a switch for water pump. Just some ideas that might help get the better out of this baby 1.4T
Don’t get me wrong it’s an amazing vehicle and if I wanted fast I sure wouldn’t have bought a 2.0T lol I would’ve bought a big block V8 .
This past week I removed the resonator and replaced with piece of exhaust pipe and my God did it sounds much sweeter better and the power seems to go all the way to 6k rpms and comes on boost almost instantly and is so responsive.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Front mount heat exchanger you mean Air to Air right?
Yes I am aware that in order to isolate the Intercooling system these items at least are needed: E- Water pump, radiator, expansion tank or some sort of container, hoses, fans(specially when idling or not going at fast enough speeds). I think it would be best to also have a switch for water pump. Just some ideas that might help get the better out of this baby 1.4T
Don’t get me wrong it’s an amazing vehicle and if I wanted fast I sure wouldn’t have bought a 2.0T lol I would’ve bought a big block V8 .
This past week I removed the resonator and replaced with piece of exhaust pipe and my God did it sounds much sweeter better and the power seems to go all the way to 6k rpms and comes on boost almost instantly and is so responsive.

great idea, btw how does it sound after that mod? im assuming you left the stock rear muffler in place, possible to upload a driving video of it? thanks, greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
great idea, btw how does it sound after that mod? im assuming you left the stock rear muffler in place, possible to upload a driving video of it? thanks, greatly appreciated.
You know for my taste is not loud it’s just deep and smooth. I did a muffler delete at a shop and the resonator delete I did at my dads since I didn’t wanted to pay $100 for the delete instead I paid $15 for piping I needed and you be surprised how easy it was to separate the the exhaust from the cat to the back. If you wish to remove the whole piping it be easier to cut off the resonator under the vehicle and take it out and weld outside. Reason why I say it’s not loud is cuz I’ve drove a decatted and no muffler no resonator Mitsubishi 2.4 car and trust me that thing was real loud like no kidding so this for me is child’s play.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You know for my taste is not loud it’s just deep and smooth. I did a muffler delete at a shop and the resonator delete I did at my dads since I didn’t wanted to pay $100 for the delete instead I paid $15 for piping I needed and you be surprised how easy it was to separate the the exhaust from the cat to the back. If you wish to remove the whole piping it be easier to cut off the resonator under the vehicle and take it out and weld outside. Reason why I say it’s not loud is cuz I’ve drove a decatted and no muffler no resonator Mitsubishi 2.4 car and trust me that thing was real loud like no kidding so this for me is child’s play.

very good input, glad to hear that removing stock exhaust components decreases spool time significantly, especially with stock size piping. sorry for going off thread subject.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts