VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided to try and put together a better procedure for retrofitting the MK6 multi-function wheel from the GTI/GLI/R platform since I had to piece together a bunch of info to be able to do mine. Hope this helps some people.

MK6 MFSW Retrofit Procedures​

List of Possible Parts Needed:
1. MK6 Multi-Function Steering Wheel
2. Airbag Harness (pn: 5K0 971 584 C)
3. Steering Wheel Control Module (Highline module is required)
(Part # 5K0-953-569 H/L/AL)
4. MK6 Airbag (If you don't have one on current wheel)

Note: Airbag should be like this one:

This airbag will NOT work:

Tools Needed (* are required tools, others are for convenience)
* VAG-COM and Hex+CAN cable
* Wrench 10 mm (to remove battery connector)
* Triple Square Bit 12 mm (to remove steering wheel bolt)
* T25 torx bit (to remove lower steering column cover)
* Pocket knife or strong small blade
*Adjustable Torque Wrench (steering wheel bolt at 37 ft lb / 50 Nm)
Precision flathead screwdriver 2.5 mm or 3.0 mm (to remove airbag wires)
Trim Tool (to disassemble steering column)
Mechanics mirror or small mirror (to look behind steering wheel for airbag removal)

Pre-Installation Checklist​

1. Check the current installed version of your Steering Wheel Control Module and verify it is compatible with a MFSW. If it is not compatible than you will need to replace this as well. You can remove your steering wheel to get the part # or get it through a scan with VCDS. Verification of functionality can be done through the Ross Tech Website:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Steering_Wheel_Control_Module_Versions

Note: Some 2010 and newer M.Y. vehicles use a control module that includes the slip ring so the clock spring and SW Control Module are all one piece.

2. Check the current installed Airbag Harness to ensure it is MFSW compatible. It will have an additional plug that connects to the controller in the wheel. If your current wheel does not have Multi-Function capability then chances are you will need a new harness as well.

3. Run and save a complete Auto-Scan with VCDS. This will allow for programming the new steering wheel control module once you replace it.

Removal of Steering Wheel and Airbag

1. Pop the hood and disconnect the negative (-) battery cable using the 10 mm wrench. For good measure step on the brake a few times to discharge any capacitor that may have some juice stored.

2. Unlock the steering column and pull the SW as far as it will go towards you and in the highest (up) position. Put the key into the ignition and turn to the “on” position so you can turn the wheel. Keep the key in the ignition throughout this entire process even while you are reconnecting the battery when the swap is finished – this will keep any power surges out of the airbag circuit (according to Bentley). Turn the SW 90 degrees from center to the left (counterclockwise) so you can reach back there with a flathead screwdriver and unlock the SW airbag from the SW. Use the mechanics mirror to get a good view of the latch holding down the airbag. Turn the SW 90 degrees from center to the right (clockwise) so you can repeat the above process and disengage the right side of the airbag from the SW.

3. Turn the steering wheel back to center and carefully remove the airbag partially out of the SW. The SW airbag will be connected by a wiring harness with 1 connector (2 if you already have a MFSW). Disconnect this harness by pulling on the white locking tab and pulling on the harness connector. Set the airbag aside with the VW emblem facing up so if it does blow up, it won’t shoot off like a rocket.

4. Remove the center bolt using the 12 mm triple square bit.

5. Note that this bolt may be used 5 times only. Mark the bolt after each removal.

6. Pull the SW off the column and set aside. If you are not planning on button functionality or already have a compatible Steering Wheel Control Module you can just reconnect the wiring, reinstall the center bolt (37 Ft/lb), and push the airbag back into place.

Note the hash mark on the steering column and align it as best you can with the hash mark on the MFSW.

Rewiring Airbag

1. Use the precision flathead screwdriver or equivalent tool to help you remove the three grounding wires behind the airbag.

2. Proceed to undo the rest of the wiring harness. Use the flathead precision screwdriver to disengage the connectors. Disengage the yellow connector in the center.

3. Weave the MFSW wiring harness into the airbag. Remember to disengage the lock pieces in the center of the connectors and push down on these pieces once installed to keep the connectors secured in place.

Replacing Clock Spring/Steering Wheel Control Module

1. Ensure you ran and saved a complete Auto-Scan prior to module removal.

2. Remove the upper steering column cover by carefully and slowly prying it off with the trim tool or said trusty pocket knife.

3. Once the top cover is removed, it will reveal two screws in front face to remove the lower steering column cover. There is also one more screw underneath that needs to be removed. Use the T25 torx bit to remove these screws. Release the locking lever in order to remove the lower cover.

4. Undo the clips that mount the clock spring/steering wheel control module and using some dexterity and light effort, remove the clock spring.

5. Now reinstall new clock spring/steering wheel control module.

6. Install Steering wheel. Make sure you properly align the hash markings.

7. Torque Steering wheel bolt down to 37 ft-lbs.

8. Install Air Bag connector (Yellow) and MFSW connector (Black).

9. Push airbag in until the rear springs clip in.

10. Reconnect Battery Negative (-).

11. Code the new module using VCDS with the coding from the original module found in the Auto-Scan.

12. Clear fault codes in the Steering Wheel module and verify all functions are working as per design.

13. Run and save another Auto-Scan and save it. The 03-ABS Brakes and 44-Steering Assist modules may have G85 and/or Steering Limit Stop fault codes that need to be corrected. See procedures below if errors are present.

14. Go into Module 16-Steering Wheel; modify using Long Code Helper to select options of new steering wheel.
*The following coding works with L module without right button functionality (518A140000)
*The following coding might allow full functionality with L module (118A140000)

Sensor for Steering Angle (G85)

Important Note: This procedure ONLY applies to Models with Conti/Teves MK70 ABS/ASR.
This Procedure does NOT apply to Conti/Teves MK60, MK60CE, MK60EC1 and similar ABS/ASR/ESP systems. Check the Vehicle specific Diagnostic Procedures pages for each ABS System page with documentation.
Prerequisites:
• Start the vehicle.
• Turn the steering wheel one turn to the right and one turn to the left.
• Drive in a short distance straight line on a level surface at a speed not higher than 20 km/h.
• If the steering wheel is straight during the test drive then stop the vehicle with the wheels pointed straight.
• Ensure that the steering wheel is not moved again.
• Keep the engine running and do not switch off the ignition.
• System voltage at least 12.0 V.
[Select]
[44 - Steering Assist]
[Coding-II - 11] or if that function is not available then use [Sec.Access - 16] instead
Enter 40168, to enable the basic setting.
[Do it!]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
After a successful basic setting, field 1 should say "OK".
[Done, Go Back]
To make sure the basic setting was successful, check the sensor again.
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 007
[Go!]
Check field 1, the value has to be between -1.5 and +1.5 °.
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]
Note: After successful basic setting, the Steering Limit Stop Adaptation needs to be performed also..

Steering Limit Stop Adaptation

(Engine still running)
• Center steering wheel (±10°) and hold it centered for 5 seconds.
• Turn steering wheel completely to the left and hold it there for 10 seconds.
• Turn steering wheel completely to the right and hold it there for 10 seconds.
• Center steering wheel (±10°).
• Switch OFF engine and ignition.
• Switch ON ignition.
• Wait 5 seconds.
• Steering Assist Warning Lamp should turn OFF. If it doesn't, perform a short test drive.

Resources:

Control Module Versions:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Steering_Wheel_Control_Module_Versions

Steering Angle and Limit Stop Procedures:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/inde...ng_Assist#Sensor_for_Steering_Angle_.28G85.29

Control Module Programming Issues:
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?4177-Steering-wheel-retrofit-fail

·
Registered
2018 Passat GT, 2017 Tiguan RLine
1,148 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well hello there!

I can say that now, after many attempts i managed an unsuccesful retrofit!

I have mounted steeringwheel
The slipring with L and AL factory code.
All buttons function, but i can't manage to make the angle sensor work.
In the measuring block there is no data change. It stays at 0.00.
After i put back my old slipring that has the letter F at ter end, that doesnt support mfsw, in 2 minutes all errors cleared and fully functional, except the buttons wich it doesn't support.
I have done all necessary steps to calibrate the sensor but without luck.
In the basic settings at the sensor it says NOT OK!

Any ideeas?
Thank you!

·
Registered
232 Posts
You have to complete basic settings and the steering stop limits:

From Ross-Tech Wiki

Basic Setting

Sensor for Steering Angle (G85) (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Brake_Electronics_(MK60EC1))
Prerequisites:
Start the vehicle.
Turn the steering wheel one turn to the right and one turn to the left.
Drive in a short distance straight line on a level surface at a speed not higher than 20 km/h.
If the steering wheel is straight during the test drive then stop the vehicle with the wheels pointed straight.
Ensure that the steering wheel is not moved again.
Keep the engine running and do not switch off the ignition.
System voltage at least 12.0 V.

[Select]
[03 - Brake Electronics]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 004
[Go!]
Check field 1, the value has to be between -1.5 and +1.5 °.
[Done, Go Back]
[Security Access - 16]
Enter 40168, to enable the basic setting.
[Do it!]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]
After a successful basic setting, field 2 should say "OK".
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

Note:
If Adjustment Not Possible is displayed:
The On/Off/Next button was used and the procedure will need to be repeated WITHOUT clicking it.
The G85 live values were not within the +/-1.5 °specification. Repeating the procedure within specifications should resolve it.
The Steering wheel should be turned to full right lock stop and to full left lock stop and centered again followed by repeating the procedure.
The 16-Steerign Wheel control module and 44-Steering Assist control module (when applicable) Coding and Adaptation configurations should be checked to rule out a conflict.
After successful basic setting, the Steering Limit Stop needs to be adapted too.

Steering Limit Stop Adaptation (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Steering_Assist#Steering_Limit_Stop_Adaptation)
(Engine still running)
Center steering wheel (±10°) and hold it centered for 5 seconds.
Turn steering wheel completely to the left and hold it there for 10 seconds.
Turn steering wheel completely to the right and hold it there for 10 seconds.
Center steering wheel (±10°).
Switch OFF engine and ignition.
Switch ON ignition.
Wait 5 seconds.
Steering Assist Warning Lamp should turn OFF. If it doesn't, perform a short test drive.
Notes:
If the 02546 - Steering Limit Stop 005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation fault will not clear after driving the vehicle and completing the VW Golf (1K) Steering Assist procedure:
Increase the time in-between key cycles to 30 seconds or more.
Check all Adaptation values in the #44-Steering Assist controller.
Verify all of the WSS (Wheel Speed Sensor) values are plausible in the 03-ABS controller! We received feedback from both Mk70 equipped and MK60 ESP equipped (1K) Golf models with 02546 and 00778 DTCs that would not clear due to a faulty WSS. Even if a WSS DTC is not stored it would be advised to log or graph MVB 001 while driving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Believe me, when i say i have done this for about 3 hours. After that it annoyed me.
But let me ask you a question.
Shouldn't have read something at the g85 measuring block? It's stucked at 0.00.
When i put back my old slip ring, without question and whitout all of the above, it measured the steering angle.
After that, i needed to recalibrate the old slip ring, that took me 2 minutes!!
Another interesting thing, that i tought of this morning:

From left to right, at the bottom of slip ring it has 4 connecting possibilities.
1 - the yellow connector
2 - a connector that that i don't connect anything to it
3 - a white connector which comes from under tge steering column
4 - the black connector with red safety

The 2nd connector shouldn't be occupied?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My car came with the steering controls on the left but I’d like to have the other side to, would I need a different module or would mine work?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts