VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needing some insight and hoping I haven't missed a recent thread that addresses this issue. I drive a 2018 Golf 1.8t automatic with just under 16k miles that has stage 1+ unitronic as the title reads. The tune was done just over 3 months ago by an authorized dealer and has had about 3k miles put on it since. She seems to have adapted pretty well to increased HP and torque minus a few transmission learning curve instances until the last 30 days or so. It has a developed a pretty aggressive shudder that causes the car to shake rather noticeably and mainly happens when putting it in reverse and easing off the brake to back into or out of a parking spot. It has also done the same (less frequently and not as aggressively) when put in drive and letting off the brake to roll. Anytime it happens, as soon as I get on the accelerator, it stops and the car runs perfectly.

Any help in the form of guidance or answers are appreciated!

·
Registered
782 Posts
I'd start with checking the trans and engine mounts to see if any of those have become damaged or torn. If those are all good, I'd suspect something internally in the transmission might need some attention.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I have the same issue and it’s not the trans mount or motor mount as I replaced those a few months ago (upgraded dogbone mount too). Mk7 Golf at 41k miles on a Uni Stage 2 tune. I am pulling the downpipe today to inspect the cat and if that and the plugs are in good shape then all fingers have to point to the trans itself.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds somewhat similar to what I have. I raised the idle rpm by 20 via obdeleven and it eliminated the issue. I assumed before it was due to a dog one insert but it could be related to the tune.

TLDR: raised idle rpm and it eliminated rumbling at idle

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Sounds somewhat similar to what I have. I raised the idle rpm by 20 via obdeleven and it eliminated the issue. I assumed before it was due to a dog one insert but it could be related to the tune.

TLDR: raised idle rpm and it eliminated rumbling at idle
Can Vag-Com do the same? I’ll have to look into that.

** Update, bumped idle rpm up 50rpm followed by a TB adaptation and the shudder is still there.

I didn’t get to the downpipe or plugs this weekend but those are next.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
HPFP was also mentioned to me as a possibility, specifically the cam follower. I have an ethanol content analyzer to install so I’ll take a look at the cam follower the same time and replace regardless.

·
Registered
782 Posts
HPFP was also mentioned to me as a possibility, specifically the cam follower. I have an ethanol content analyzer to install so I’ll take a look at the cam follower the same time and replace regardless.
Cam followers were an issue on the FSI motors prior to 2008ish. The MK7 and newer use a roller cam follower that haven't really shown any issues, but the HPFP could still fail. I wouldn't think the HPFP would be the problem near idle speeds, though, which is what you are describing. I'd expect an HPFP problem to happen at higher throttle positions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ended up having the dealership I work for get it looked at. Luckily got it to replicate while hooked up to the computer and it was misfiring on cylinder 2, they’re replacing the injector this coming week after checking the coil and plug. We’ll see if it resolves the issue fully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Ended up having the dealership I work for get it looked at. Luckily got it to replicate while hooked up to the computer and it was misfiring on cylinder 2, they’re replacing the injector this coming week after checking the coil and plug. We’ll see if it resolves the issue fully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My car runs out to redline just fine though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well unfortunately the issue persists. I got my car back after they replaced the injector and drove it for two days with no issue. Then while backing out of a parking spot, it began doing the exact same thing, and then again about 20 minutes later while backing out of another parking spot. Took it back to the tech and he hooked it up like last time. The problem replicated again but this time was not reading a misfire while it was happening. Now we're back to troubleshooting it.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Well unfortunately the issue persists. I got my car back after they replaced the injector and drove it for two days with no issue. Then while backing out of a parking spot, it began doing the exact same thing, and then again about 20 minutes later while backing out of another parking spot. Took it back to the tech and he hooked it up like last time. The problem replicated again but this time was not reading a misfire while it was happening. Now we're back to troubleshooting it.
I’ve been super busy but I’m going to try to pull the plugs tonight and datalog as well. I will say that it’s not my catalytic converter as I thought that it might be.

7/1/20 Update: Plugs looked good. Installed new plugs anyway and shuddering still there.

7/8/20 Update: Trans fluid and filter replaced and shudder is still there. Torque converter might be going which means new trans.

·
Registered
70 Posts
At one point or another I did have a magnet related to the camshaft replaced under warranty but I’m not sure if it still occurred after that. Not too long ago my timing chain and related parts plus my camshaft had to be replaced because apparently early 15s still had some gen 2 ea888 parts. Nonetheless, I haven’t had shudders at least since then

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
At one point or another I did have a magnet related to the camshaft replaced under warranty but I’m not sure if it still occurred after that. Not too long ago my timing chain and related parts plus my camshaft had to be replaced because apparently early 15s still had some gen 2 ea888 parts. Nonetheless, I haven’t had shudders at least since then
Camshaft position sensor perhaps? The car runs great once moving but that shuddering (extreme jerkiness) is horrible. I’m going to connect back my JB4 this weekend and see if the issue is there with that vs. the Uni tune.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah I think I had that replaced. iirc I did have a code for camshaft position at idle so would make sense to be related to the shudder

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
Sounds like it only happens when your foot is on the brake pedal. Maybe you're looking in the wrong place.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Sounds like it only happens when your foot is on the brake pedal. Maybe you're looking in the wrong place.
Brake released and idling forward (or in reverse) and the sdudder is there for me. If I am fully on the brake it isn’t there. Torque converter is still on my list of suspects...which unfortunately means new trans.

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
I had a problem with mine (sounds a lot like your description) in the transition stage between taking the foot off the brake and going for the gas pedal. The problem was the brakes not releasing. I flushed the fluid and the problem was gone. The fluid was three years old. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I had a problem with mine (sounds a lot like your description) in the transition stage between taking the foot off the brake and going for the gas pedal. The problem was the brakes not releasing. I flushed the fluid and the problem was gone. The fluid was three years old. Just a thought.
That’s not my case. I had my suspension and brakes completely redone (struts/shocks, springs, rotors, pads, brake fluid, and the issue was no different after all that was replaced. Those things were mainly what I had my friend’s shop work on. The car was not there for him to work on the shuddering but became a secondary project so we decided to replace the trans fluid and filter. Shuddering was still there so we tried flashing to factory file and it went away. The car is back home now and this weekend I will connect my JB4 to see if the shuddering is present and if not I will disconnect the JB4 and flash to Uni stage 1 and see if it comes back with that. It’s definitely present on the Uni stage 2 file.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Needing some insight and hoping I haven't missed a recent thread that addresses this issue. I drive a 2018 Golf 1.8t automatic with just under 16k miles that has stage 1+ unitronic as the title reads. The tune was done just over 3 months ago by an authorized dealer and has had about 3k miles put on it since. She seems to have adapted pretty well to increased HP and torque minus a few transmission learning curve instances until the last 30 days or so. It has a developed a pretty aggressive shudder that causes the car to shake rather noticeably and mainly happens when putting it in reverse and easing off the brake to back into or out of a parking spot. It has also done the same (less frequently and not as aggressively) when put in drive and letting off the brake to roll. Anytime it happens, as soon as I get on the accelerator, it stops and the car runs perfectly.

Any help in the form of guidance or answers are appreciated!
I have a 2016 1.8T SEL with about 45k miles. I added the Unitronic stage 1 tune myself via laptop and cable about 2 months ago. The car was running great until recently. It does what you are describing when in reverse or sometimes in first gear at idle. I unhooked the battery cables and let the car sit for 30 minutes to reset the transmission. The problem has gone away but I think it’s a temporary fix. I think the transmission needs a proper tune now to handle the 40 percent power increase from the engine tune. I have a feeling that my transmission will eventually learn my driving style all over again and return to this malfunctioning reverse studder. I guess I’ll just keep unhooking the car from the battery once every couple of months unless you found a trans tune that fixed it?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I have a 2016 1.8T SEL with about 45k miles. I added the Unitronic stage 1 tune myself via laptop and cable about 2 months ago. The car was running great until recently. It does what you are describing when in reverse or sometimes in first gear at idle. I unhooked the battery cables and let the car sit for 30 minutes to reset the transmission. The problem has gone away but I think it’s a temporary fix. I think the transmission needs a proper tune now to handle the 40 percent power increase from the engine tune. I have a feeling that my transmission will eventually learn my driving style all over again and return to this malfunctioning reverse studder. I guess I’ll just keep unhooking the car from the battery once every couple of months unless you found a trans tune that fixed it?
My problem is still there but it hasn’t gotten any worse so I’m just living with it...well my son as it’s his ride. I will try the battery thing and see if that does anything for me or not. I completely forgot about trying the camshaft position sensor and will probably try replacing that too. Currently there isn’t any TCU tune for the 6-speed auto and that may never happen.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts