VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

MK7.5 Golf R VCDS Tweaks

488K views 972 replies 188 participants last post by  bobvilla 
#1 ·
I’d like to start a topic for tweaks that are working on the new MK7.5 2018 Golf R, as for my experience, majority of the tweaks are not working or VCDS does not have labels for the new modules in the car.

The Soundaktor mod is the only one so far that I’ve been able to do successfully, along with the led lights displaying on the knob of the heat controls in Auto Mode as well as seat heat memory retention.

The mods I need help with are:

Exhaust flap always open
Window convenience open/close
Mirror tilt in reverse

I’ve followed instructions for previous years and coding is either rejected or doesn’t work, please help and feel free to post any other VCDS mods you think might be worthwhile doing to my MK7.5 Golf R

Thank you in advance [emoji1365]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

See less See more
#2 ·
Exhaust Flap... Did you do it while engine is on or off (ACC)? Try both and see what happens. Can't remember what I did before when I got it to work.

Convenience Windows... Not sure why it's not working for you honestly.

Mirror tilt in reverse... There are maybe less than 20-30 out of over 10000 mk7 Rs sold in NA that got this to work.

#9 ·
When the 2017s first came out it was a couple months before everything had labels.. Most of the stuff was almost the same but the folding mirrors adaptions were differently named, same with the comfort windows.

Re the mirror memory if you have a obd11 you can check the live data to see if you have mirror memory if it says 255/255 location you don't have it. If it gives you an exact co-ordinate then you do have it. I never checked with my stock mirrors but after upgrading to folding mirrors i definitely have the location and my tilt works perfectly. Rarely use it but when i'm parallel parking next to a curb it's nice.

Difference between normal obd11 and pro is that the pro lets you do long coding and manual adaption changes (basically required). The normal one all you can do are the silly apps.

#13 ·
I’d like to start a topic for tweaks that are working on the new MK7.5 2018 Golf R, as for my experience, majority of the tweaks are not working or VCDS does not have labels for the new modules in the car.

The Soundaktor mod is the only one so far that I’ve been able to do successfully, along with the led lights displaying on the knob of the heat controls in Auto Mode as well as seat heat memory retention.

The mods I need help with are:

Exhaust flap always open
Window convenience open/close
Mirror tilt in reverse

I’ve followed instructions for previous years and coding is either rejected or doesn’t work, please help and feel free to post any other VCDS mods you think might be worthwhile doing to my MK7.5 Golf R

Thank you in advance

I have a similar issue with a 2017 GTI (wife's car). The labels have changed and inputs on certain adaption channels have changed. I also have a 2016 R so I compared the tweaks in the R to the like GTI parameters and there are also changes from once Alpha character input to now numeric values only input.

I tried the convenience blink tweak from 3 to 4 in the GTI for a test and it did not stick.

#16 ·
So I’m super excited, the convenience open/close with the key is working as is the mirror dip in reverse, all I had to do was the reset all the windows by holding up for five seconds when it was closed, and down for five seconds when it was open on all the windows.
Only things I can’t seem to manage Is to have the daytime running lights menu showing up on the head unit, closing the windows when rain is detected even though the option does show up on the head unit🤯, and the exhaust flap always open modification.
After fiddling with it for this past couple of weeks, now I see why everybody’s just buying the OBDEleven dongle. 🤪

#17 ·
Once more people have the 7.5 i'm sure all your question will be solved pretty quickly. FYI i brought it up in another thread but i've never seen the auto closing windows with rain working on any MK7 car. Even with the option selected/coding accepted no ones posted that it's works when actually testing it with water/rain. I gave up trying to get that one working.

The OBD11 is nice because a lot of the options are simpler. You don't have as much power as the VCDS but everything is "easier", but i think the real reason so many have it is because of the price. Also their adaption labels were updated much quicker (at least for the 2017).

#18 · (Edited)
Got a bit of info, if you want the option to turn on/off the DRLs on the infotainment unit this is what you’re looking for, just set it to active.
Go to 9 - Central Electronics
Security - 31347
Then find this on 10 - Adaptation

Now I need assistance disabling the orange LEDs in the headlights, the old instructions don’t work [emoji29]

#20 ·
Man, I desperately want to disable those orange running lights in the front too!! Tried a bunch of things, no luck.

Any ideas is this (see video below) would also work on a 2018 R? Any one with 2018 R and ODB11 that can check?

https://youtu.be/qAZnnVFkgaI
I could...
but TBH I don’t really care to change just the gauge appearance. Now if I could reprogram the whole digital cockpit to be the same as the one Audi uses for screens and functions.... now we are talking

#27 ·
Still crickets on this I see... disappointing!!

Also, I wonder if anyone has been able to disable the North American region restriction so that the headlights can raise at highway speeds. Reading the instructions for this it looks like you have to do it in module '55 - Headlight Range'. Well, there doesn't appear to be a headlight range module available for the 18!!

#28 ·
I have a few friends with Audi's, and they are all using Carista OBD2. Similar to OBD11

Why is no one using Carista in the VW forums? Seems to be able to do same things as OBD11, at a more reasonable price?

I have not tried Carist, OBD11 or VCDS.......Just asking.

#29 ·
Well, I got tired of waiting for someone to do it for me so I figured it out. Here are some tweaks for the 7.5 that didn’t work with the coding from the MK7:

Lock Doors While Engine is Running:

Module 09 - ZV allgemein - Funk bei Klemme 15 ein - change from “not active” to “active”)

Disable Orange LED’s in Front:

Module 09 - Leuchte26NSL LA72 - Lichtfunktion A 26 - change from “Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht: Positionslicht: Begrenzungslicht)” to “nicht aktiv”

Note, I used OBD11 not VCDS. Additionally, I cannot for the life of me get the LED light that turns on with the parking lights and is in the high beam lens to stay off. It’s almost like it is just the HB bulb dimmed very low. Basically, if the tail lights are on (either via the switch being in the ON, Parking Light or AUTO mode. With AUTO, they come on with the main beams) these lights are too.

That said - if the selector is in AUTO, and it is the middle of the day, ONLY the L shaped DRL’s are on, not the ‘extra’ light or the tails. Furthermore, if the switch is in the ‘OFF’ position, the extra lights (and tails) are also off.
This tells me that they are NOT tied into the L shaped DRL’s directly, but I just can’t seem to find the channel for them.

I’ll try again another day.

Tapatalk on iPhone X, 11.2.5

#31 ·
What isn’t enabled in race mode? Certainly nothing to do with the lights. Who are you replying to?

Edit, didn’t see your quote, it didn’t come thru the first time.
I never saw the option for start and stop in custom though.

#36 ·
Figured I would bump this thread...

since europeans have low washer fluid alerts : http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/2...5-have-low-windshield-washer-fluid-indicator/

I couldn't check if the hardware was there for the MK7.5 as I was planning on today since I was fixing my front bumper...
Also last night I tried my VCDS but I think the cable is too old (had it since my B5 S4) so I think it's time to order something new from Ross-Tech...but I was putting it off

Can someone checking, 19?- Instrument and check the low washer fluid option?

There is a bunch of threads on how to disable it, as well as long coding for disabling other sensors (based off region), but curious what's in there if someone is poking around already on the weekend?

#37 ·
Looks like there is no sensor in the NA models (a few people on other forums have poked around).
I'm a little pissed off about it tbh. I know it's been a challenging component in terms of reliability - however it's pretty unsafe to run out of washer fluid on a long drive where I live and I don't feel like I should be popping the hood to check washer fluid on my $45k car.

#41 ·
I thought I'd chime in with confirmation on some of the changes that still seem to work. This is on a 2018 Golf R w/ DAP (Canadian.)

I've done the following and confirmed that they seem to be working:
  • Windows up/down with remote.
  • Mirror dips in reverse and returns; returns a little high but that seems to be a known issue without the folding mirrors w/memory.
  • Changed the gauge "look" to style four. Speedo max drops from displaying 320km/hr to 260 but it looks a little cleaner. (IMO)
  • Lane assist kicks in a little earlier.
  • DRL enable/disable show in the menu.
  • Rear lights come on with DRL.

Didn't get around to the rain closing for the windows or the removal of the North American settings on the headlights; everyone mentions module 55 but I don't seem to have one.

Thanks for everyone's input; it's the little changes that make things a little more 'fun'. :)

#42 ·
Thanks for this! I'm in an '18R with DAP as well. Any tips on where these changes are? I turned on convenience opening and closing but it didn't work. How do you like the earlier lane assist?
Also where did you find the rear lights with DRL function? I would love to enable that.

If anyone else is poking around, I've been looking for a few other things. On my '15 TDI I was able to lower the speed threshold for the high beam assist, but I can't seem to find it on this car. 60 kph is way too high for my taste. Also would love to lower the speed threshold at which ACC is disabled in my 6MT, but can't find anything re: that either. Was hoping VCDS 18.2 would relabel some things but there aren't any release notes since 18.1 so I don't know if it has.

#46 ·
I was hoping to be able to extend the coming home timeout from the default 15 seconds to 60 seconds but this seems to be another option that has either changed or been relabeled with the '18 R (I've also got a Canadian model)

If anyone has this one figured out let me know......

#48 ·
In the in-dash settings i can get it to go up to 30 seconds without coding (2017 here, maybe that's changed). Have they reduced that?

I had a look online and all the adaption settings seem to be for automatic/manual and turning it on/off, haven't seen anyone post how to edit the duration. Probably would be under central electronics, and look for coming home something.

Had anyone found where most of former module 55’s coding has gone for the mk7.5? I would love to disable NAR restrictions on the headlight function but just can’t find it. I triple checked all the likely places. The only modules I haven’t looked in are susp. Elect., steering column lock, etc. So baffled!
Sometimes they rename stuff, so it makes it hard to find. Need someone with some German knowledge heh.

#47 ·
Had anyone found where most of former module 55’s coding has gone for the mk7.5? I would love to disable NAR restrictions on the headlight function but just can’t find it. I triple checked all the likely places. The only modules I haven’t looked in are susp. Elect., steering column lock, etc. So baffled!

#54 ·
Upgrading is recommended because of the risk when making adaptation tweeks not everything will write in.Had this problem with a '17 jetta where would make adaptations that were accepted but other features stopped working.This meant trip to dealer to recode a baseline.
Hex-can is outdated,Hex-net,Hex-V2 Ross-Tech will highly recommend.

#57 ·
Anyone been able to disable the amber lights on the headlights in the NA ‘18 R?
I tried the instructions from the ‘17 R but don’t seem to work [emoji29]
Sorry to everyone who contacted me for info about the windows, but was I away for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#61 ·
Did you guys figure out the convenience opening and closing of the windows? The option is available in my setup menu but when I press and hold the unlock button, the windows do NOT roll down. I went into VCDS with my HEX V2 and followed radFox’s method but it still doesn’t work.

#73 ·
Ok next one I can’t figure out is the comfort turn signal from 3 to 5 blinks on the 2018 7.5. The comfort turn signals adaptation is not listed.