VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

MK7.5 Golf R VCDS Tweaks

488K views 972 replies 188 participants last post by  bobvilla 
#1 ·
I’d like to start a topic for tweaks that are working on the new MK7.5 2018 Golf R, as for my experience, majority of the tweaks are not working or VCDS does not have labels for the new modules in the car.

The Soundaktor mod is the only one so far that I’ve been able to do successfully, along with the led lights displaying on the knob of the heat controls in Auto Mode as well as seat heat memory retention.

The mods I need help with are:

Exhaust flap always open
Window convenience open/close
Mirror tilt in reverse

I’ve followed instructions for previous years and coding is either rejected or doesn’t work, please help and feel free to post any other VCDS mods you think might be worthwhile doing to my MK7.5 Golf R

Thank you in advance [emoji1365]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

See less See more
#81 ·
OBDeleven Coding

** Note that the coding below works on my new 2018 (built 01/18) vehicle with the updated modules **

DRLs and fog lights as Coming/Leaving Home
09 - Central Electrics
Adaptation – 10
16-Security code 31347
Aussenlicht_Uebergreifend-Coming Home Leuchten -> "Fog light" (default “Low beam”)

Brightness of license plate lights
09 - Central Electrics
Adaptation - 10
16-Security code 31347
(6)-Leuchte25KZL HA59-Dimmwert AB 25
Set to "60" - Default setting is 127

Disable the little red led's on the side of the taillights
09-Central Electrics
16-Security code 31347
10-Adaptations
(1)-Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lasttyp 27 to "not active" (default: "43-allgemeine LED")

Disable Orange LED in Front Headlight
Module 09 - Central Electrics
16-Security code 31347
10-Adaptations
Leuchte26NSL LA72 - Lichtfunktion A 26 - change from “Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht: Positionslicht: Begrenzungslicht)” to “nicht aktiv”

Mirror Dip on Reverse
Check this post

Fan Level Display on Auto (Climatronic)
08 Air Conditioning
07 Long Coding
Go to Byte 11
Enable Bit 6

Retain Heated Seat Setting
08 Auto HVAC
Adaptation and change the following:
"retention of the seat heater level driver" to active (default is 10 min.)

Refuel Quantity
Amount of fuel used since the last fill up (refuel quantity)
17 Instruments
Long Coding
Go to Byte 10
Enable bit 4

Windows up/down with remote
09 - Central Electrics
Adaptation - 10
16-Security code 31347
ZV Komfort-Comfort opening-> “active” (default: Not active)
ZV Komfort-Comfort closing-> “active” (default: Not active)
ZV Komfort-Funk Komfort oeffnen-> “active” (default: Not active)
ZV Komfort-Funk Komfort schliessen-> “active” (default: Not active)
ZV Komfort-Menuesteurung Komfortbedienung einstellbar -> “adjustable”
In H/U, Car - Setup - Open and Close - Conv. opening (all windows or drivers window)

Roll windows up/down with hand in handle, thumb on dimple
09 - Central Electrics
Adaptation - 10
16-Security code 31347
Schlusse_Zugang-und Startberechtigung-Kessy Komfort oeffnen-> "active" (default "not active")

Windows Up After Car is Turned Off
09 Central Electrics
Adaptations
16-Security code 31347
ZV Komfort
Freigabenachlauf FH bei Tueroeffnen Abbrechen -> “Not Active” (default: Active)

Reactions: Kiyokix and nlatman
#13 ·
I’d like to start a topic for tweaks that are working on the new MK7.5 2018 Golf R, as for my experience, majority of the tweaks are not working or VCDS does not have labels for the new modules in the car.

The Soundaktor mod is the only one so far that I’ve been able to do successfully, along with the led lights displaying on the knob of the heat controls in Auto Mode as well as seat heat memory retention.

The mods I need help with are:

Exhaust flap always open
Window convenience open/close
Mirror tilt in reverse

I’ve followed instructions for previous years and coding is either rejected or doesn’t work, please help and feel free to post any other VCDS mods you think might be worthwhile doing to my MK7.5 Golf R

Thank you in advance

I have a similar issue with a 2017 GTI (wife's car). The labels have changed and inputs on certain adaption channels have changed. I also have a 2016 R so I compared the tweaks in the R to the like GTI parameters and there are also changes from once Alpha character input to now numeric values only input.

I tried the convenience blink tweak from 3 to 4 in the GTI for a test and it did not stick.

#327 ·
Is there anyway to change the brake pedal effort in vcds? typically I change out the pads and that's worked on my other R's but for the mk7.5 the brake pedal is way to sensitive at slow speed even with new pads.

Reactions: Kiyokix
#398 ·
Overtaking Assistance
Credit to u/t0ad1 in Reddit:

ACC module #13, in Long Coding

"Overtaking_assistance" - change it to "activated."

I've noticed that when you attempt to pass said slow-ass car, ACC doesn't seem to give the car any throttle until you're completely in the other lane and the front camera no longer sees the car in front of you whatsoever. I'm not a fan of this sluggish passing behavior. With this tweak enabled, the car will begin accelerating the second you activate your turn signal before you begin making your pass.

Reactions: Kiyokix
#399 ·
Interesting.. I've noticed that sometimes the car will start accelerating and sometimes it won't, i think it waits until the car in front of you is no longer "in front of you" before it accelerates.

Have you tried this? Hows it work in real life scenarios? Might have to give it a whirl as i usually just turn ACC off for passing.

#409 ·
Just finished reading through the whole thing. There's a lot of help here but it's spread out on several posts. I took several screenshots and just have it ready when my caR comes in. Placed an order for a 2019 and should arrive around wintertime. Hopefully not many coding changes for that caR.

[emoji594][emoji594][emoji594]

#461 ·
I also disabled Soundaktor value to 0.0% and with the exhaust flaps constantly open the car sounds way way louder, like with an aftermarket free-flowing cat-back exhaust, actually louder than my MK4 with 70mm cat-back Neuspeed. Probably the greatest tweak so far.

#612 ·
I found a pdf description from several years ago (2015) of the CodingLog file that describes the logging process. I am not sure how to attach a pdf, so I extracted the text:

A useful tool when the "brown stuff and the fan meet"

Introduction
It's a VCDS cable user's worst nightmare: You have diligently followed all the instructions, but the tweak has not been successful. Disappointed, you proceed to roll-back all the settings to their original value only to find that the car is now behaving in an unexplainable way. Something has gone seriously wrong and you're desperately searching for answers!
Well, whilst there can be no universal panacea in these instances, the following process may at least provide some insights as to where to start your fault finding investigations.
"De bug" in Ross Tech's software!
Within the Ross-Tech folders on your laptop is the "Debug" subdirectory. You will find this directory in both the Beta and non-Beta software versions. Most likely, there will be at least two files in the Debug subdirectory and maybe three. These files are: Readme.txt, CodingLog.txt and possibly, AdpLog.txt
The "Readme" file contains the following curious message "You can ignore the files in this folder". This message was placed in the directory by Uwe Ross as part of the software development but it would be wrong to ignore the contents of this folder as the information in the files can be a valuable tool in fault finding errors.
Every time that you make a change to an adaptation channel, or each time that you modify the coding value of a control module, RT's VCDS software makes a record of the event. When a change is made, the relevant text file in this folder is updated by writing a new record into the existing file (i.e. the old file is simply augmented with the new record, rather than a new file being created).
As originally intended, the change records were meant to be written into the AdpLog.txt file - for adaptation channel changes and separately into the CodingLog.txt file -for modifications to coding. However, as at the time of writing, because of a software glitch, almost all entries (with a few exceptions) are made into the CodingLog.txt files. So, it's not unusual for the Adpmap.txt file to be absent from the Debug directory. Ross-Tech has advised that whilst the software glitch has been identified, there are no immediate plans to implement a fix as the problem is seen as low-priority.
My understanding from discussion with Ross-Tech is that the files in this folder were intended for the development of the original VCDS software and as proof-of-work-done by professional cable users. However, an unintended benefit of these files is that they can be a valuable adjunct in fault finding errors of the type described in the opening paragraph.
Having been made aware of this facility, it's tempting to rely on these files as the record-of-source for tweaks that have been implemented (i.e. instead of the usual
Page | 1

practice of keeping separate records). A good reason why this should not be done is that the records in these files sometimes are not accurate. As Ross-Tech has explained, the information in these records is written into the files when "Do it!" tab , or "Save" tab is activated. This means that these records are blind to events that occur within the controller after the go-request is initiated. For example, if a change request is not accepted by the control module, the file will indicate that the change has been made when in reality the setting in the control module will remain unchanged. So, do not use these files as a substitute for manual record keeping. However, even with this idiosyncrasy, the CodingLog.txt file can be very useful as is illustrated in the following example.
How to use CodingLog.txt for fault finding - Example
For this example, it is assumed that a cable user has attempted to implement the Auto RainClosing tweak This tweak enables any open window, and/or an open sunroof to automatically close when the rain sensor on the windshield detects precipitation. For the purposes of this example, it's not important to understand the details of the tweak. Suffice to say that in broad terms the tweak requires that
1. The settings in the following three adaptation channels need to change:
a. Channel (15)
b. Channel (16)
c. Channel (28)
2. Coding changes need to be made to the rain sensor module (RLFS)
For the purpose of the example, assume that the cable user correctly makes the required changes to the three adaptation channels (above) and the correct coding modification to the RLFS was also made. Despite the fact that these instructions were correctly performed, the tweak still did not work (some forum members have reported that the Auto RainClosing tweak will not work on their cars).
Disappointed, the cable user decides to restore everything to its original value. However, in rolling back the settings, the cable user incorrectly changes channel (29), instead of channel (28). At the end of the roll back process and unbeknown to the cable user, two adaptation channels are incorrectly set and the car behaves in an unexplained manner. Even-though the user can recheck the steps in the tweak (this will likely identify that the setting for channel (28) has not been rolled-back), finding the error in the setting for channel (29) will be problematic.
To illustrate how CodingLog.txt can be used as a fault finding tool, a copy of the portion of this file that relates to the changes in the example above is shown below.
Note the structure of the file (I've included the red boxes and the red writing for illustrative purposes):
· The 3 x adaptation channel changes are shown in the first two blocks:
o The implementation of the tweak changes is shown in the first block
o Roll-back of the adaptation channel settings is shown in the second block

Page | 2

· The coding changes to the RLFS is shown in the last block
o The tweak coding change is shown in the first line (coding from - coding to)
o The rollback coding change is shown in the second line of this block
· The address of the control module is shown for each record as is the time and date of the change

#614 ·
I found a pdf description from several years ago (2015) of the CodingLog file that describes the logging process. I am not sure how to attach a pdf, so I extracted the text:
Wow - I wrote that many many years ago!!!! Here's the actual link to the document.

Don

#617 ·
Success reverting changes!

I managed to resolve my problems with the front sensors by reversing my changes through the CodingLog file. I located the offending change log, and reversed it by simply copying and pasting the original long code. Everything is working again, thankfully.

And, I answered my own question regarding successive changes. It does log successive changes to the same control unit, thankfully. It logs each date of changes.

Many thanks for your splendid assistance, Don!

#619 ·
I managed to resolve my problems with the front sensors by reversing my changes through the CodingLog file. I located the offending change log, and reversed it by simply copying and pasting the original long code. Everything is working again, thankfully.

And, I answered my own question regarding successive changes. It does log successive changes to the same control unit, thankfully. It logs each date of changes.

Many thanks for your splendid assistance, Don!
Don is the man..

I apologize if this have been asked before. Is there a way to program so the auto start stop Be turned off as I default. This way I do not need to manually switch off that annoying future every time I start the car
Couple options.. APR was advertising that as a feature in their new tunes (disabled by default but can still be turned on). Then there's coding where you can permanently disable it (until you do coding to turn it back on) coding below..

The best but most complicated option is to make a electronic dongle/thing that goes behind the button that remembers your last setting. This was above my skillset but you can view it here (funny enough the guide was also made by DV52).

Code:
Voltage method for disabling stop/start:
Select Gateway - 19
Select Adaptation
Select Start/stop start voltage limit
Change existing value from 7.6 V to 12.1 
Exit Software, switch ignition off/on and Start Stop should be permanently off

#924 ·
There's an option on VCDS to enable windows down with the handle unlock, but I only used the fob to lower windows tweak.
Post your change log history, scans, etc...

Not sure why it would be a one time thing either.....
Now, I wonder if I'll use the option this summer..

Reactions: DrkMrk
#944 ·
I have retrofit the power folding mirrors, and my mirror commonly doesn't return to the correct position when using the auto-dip/"lowering in reverse" function. I would say about 60% of the time, it returns to the correct position, but the other 40%, it will return to a position that's very close, but not exactly how I had it. I find this very annoying and I really don't understand why it's happening. I posted about this on the ross-tech forums a few months ago, but they weren't much help.

I have followed all 4 coding/adaptation changes; enable byte 4 bits 2 & 3 on module 52, and change the adaptations Spiegelabsenkung bei Rueckwaertsfahrt and Menuesteuerung Spiegelabsenkung to active, but the problem still occurs. Anyone have any insight?

#959 ·
hmm...... my post in @Ecsta link was made in 2015 - a long time ago!! Since then, both VCDS software has changed and also hex09 modules on Golf models have changed.

If @golta car was built prior to mid 2016, the VCDS channel will be
  • IDE05142-ENG115754-Access control-Funk bei Klemme 15 ein
If @golta car was built after mid 2016, the VCDS channel will be:
  • ENG141651-ENG115754-ZV allgemein-Funk bei Klemme 15 ein
The easy way to find this channel with VCDS is to enter ENG115754 into the search box on the channel screen

Don

Reactions: Ecsta
#2 ·
Exhaust Flap... Did you do it while engine is on or off (ACC)? Try both and see what happens. Can't remember what I did before when I got it to work.

Convenience Windows... Not sure why it's not working for you honestly.

Mirror tilt in reverse... There are maybe less than 20-30 out of over 10000 mk7 Rs sold in NA that got this to work.

#9 ·
When the 2017s first came out it was a couple months before everything had labels.. Most of the stuff was almost the same but the folding mirrors adaptions were differently named, same with the comfort windows.

Re the mirror memory if you have a obd11 you can check the live data to see if you have mirror memory if it says 255/255 location you don't have it. If it gives you an exact co-ordinate then you do have it. I never checked with my stock mirrors but after upgrading to folding mirrors i definitely have the location and my tilt works perfectly. Rarely use it but when i'm parallel parking next to a curb it's nice.

Difference between normal obd11 and pro is that the pro lets you do long coding and manual adaption changes (basically required). The normal one all you can do are the silly apps.

#16 ·
So I’m super excited, the convenience open/close with the key is working as is the mirror dip in reverse, all I had to do was the reset all the windows by holding up for five seconds when it was closed, and down for five seconds when it was open on all the windows.
Only things I can’t seem to manage Is to have the daytime running lights menu showing up on the head unit, closing the windows when rain is detected even though the option does show up on the head unit🤯, and the exhaust flap always open modification.
After fiddling with it for this past couple of weeks, now I see why everybody’s just buying the OBDEleven dongle. 🤪

#17 ·
Once more people have the 7.5 i'm sure all your question will be solved pretty quickly. FYI i brought it up in another thread but i've never seen the auto closing windows with rain working on any MK7 car. Even with the option selected/coding accepted no ones posted that it's works when actually testing it with water/rain. I gave up trying to get that one working.

The OBD11 is nice because a lot of the options are simpler. You don't have as much power as the VCDS but everything is "easier", but i think the real reason so many have it is because of the price. Also their adaption labels were updated much quicker (at least for the 2017).

#18 · (Edited)
Got a bit of info, if you want the option to turn on/off the DRLs on the infotainment unit this is what you’re looking for, just set it to active.
Go to 9 - Central Electronics
Security - 31347
Then find this on 10 - Adaptation

Now I need assistance disabling the orange LEDs in the headlights, the old instructions don’t work [emoji29]

#20 ·
Man, I desperately want to disable those orange running lights in the front too!! Tried a bunch of things, no luck.

Any ideas is this (see video below) would also work on a 2018 R? Any one with 2018 R and ODB11 that can check?

https://youtu.be/qAZnnVFkgaI
I could...
but TBH I don’t really care to change just the gauge appearance. Now if I could reprogram the whole digital cockpit to be the same as the one Audi uses for screens and functions.... now we are talking

#27 ·
Still crickets on this I see... disappointing!!

Also, I wonder if anyone has been able to disable the North American region restriction so that the headlights can raise at highway speeds. Reading the instructions for this it looks like you have to do it in module '55 - Headlight Range'. Well, there doesn't appear to be a headlight range module available for the 18!!