VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 2020 GTI Autobahn about a year ago. In that time I’ve driven just over 15k miles. There have been 4 issues to date. First a factory recall for an update, done at service interval. Second issue was the grab handle above the front passenger door breaking and flopping down for no apparent reason. This required 2 trips to the dealer, diagnostic then replace. Since new the car has had various rattles. Lots of squeaks over rough roads etc. Very bad for the age and miles on the car. The most recent issue is a failure of the sound system. I heard a pop sound from the speakers and they all stopped working. Taking the car to the dealer, again, this week to have that looked at. I’ve owned many VW’s. Been really satisfied with them but not this car. Given its relatively low level of performance (225 hp isn’t that much, sorry), poor build quality and relatively high price I think this one will be my last VW.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I bought a new 2020 GTI Autobahn about a year ago. In that time I’ve driven just over 15k miles. There have been 4 issues to date. First a factory recall for an update, done at service interval. Second issue was the grab handle above the front passenger door breaking and flopping down for no apparent reason. This required 2 trips to the dealer, diagnostic then replace. Since new the car has had various rattles. Lots of squeaks over rough roads etc. Very bad for the age and miles on the car. The most recent issue is a failure of the sound system. I heard a pop sound from the speakers and they all stopped working. Taking the car to the dealer, again, this week to have that looked at. I’ve owned many VW’s. Been really satisfied with them but not this car. Given its relatively low level of performance (225 hp isn’t that much, sorry), poor build quality and relatively high price I think this one will be my last VW.
OTOH, this is what warranties are for. Maybe the assembly line wasn't so great during the pandemic, but things will improve and VW will make it right under warranty. My 2018 has been fine except for a rattle in the sunroof and Android Auto no longer working, which I'll be bringing it in for next week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OTOH, this is what warranties are for. Maybe the assembly line wasn't so great during the pandemic, but things will improve and VW will make it right under warranty. My 2018 has been fine except for a rattle in the sunroof and Android Auto no longer working, which I'll be bringing it in for next week.
Everything is covered under warranty but why should I be bringing a new car to the shop every month. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
Current - 17 Passat SEL Past - 02 337, 04 r32, 11 CC, 11 GTI, 16 Passat S
436 Posts
It’s all about the luck of the draw. It sucks but unfortunately every manufacturer has random vehicles with a crap load of issues. I have owned numerous VW’s and never had any major issues. I guess before driving off the lot with a new car say a prayer to the car gods.

I’m Greek and we are inherently superstitious. When someone gets a new car friends and family throw coins in the car for good luck. Try that next time and you will be trouble free. Hahaha!

On a serious note, it does suck having to go to the dealership every month. I had a couple Jeep Grand Cherokee’s and was constantly in for recalls or issues. No more Jeep’s for me so I know how you feel. FYI, no one threw coins in my Cherokee’s... hahaha!

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
My '19 Golf R had the driver side grab handle dangling when I bought it. How does a car get through PDI and nobody notices this? VERY common problem on 7.5's, apparently VW switched suppliers to save a nickel, and bought a bunch of turds. No other problems though to date, now at 26k miles.

·
Registered
262 Posts
1.) - Recall - Fixed.
2.) - Grab Handle - Fixed.
3.) - Rattles - Most cars have some. Sounds like yours aren't that bad except rough roads. Not the end of the world.
4.) - Sound system - Sounds like they will fix.

As to the relatively low level of performance, these cars will outrun a lot of Porsches and Corvettes from 25 years ago. It's all relative. In any case, did you not have any idea how the car performed before you bought it? A GTI is a performance bargain in any language, so yeah, you're right, the price is 'relatively' high, compared to say, a Toyota Yaris or some such.

It's a seller's market, so maybe time for you to move onto another new car that you will no doubt find a lot of faults with. Sorry, man, I think you're expecting perfection where none has ever really existed, that is, there are no perfect cars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1.) - Recall - Fixed.
2.) - Grab Handle - Fixed.
3.) - Rattles - Most cars have some. Sounds like yours aren't that bad except rough roads. Not the end of the world.
4.) - Sound system - Sounds like they will fix.

As to the relatively low level of performance, these cars will outrun a lot of Porsches and Corvettes from 25 years ago. It's all relative. In any case, did you not have any idea how the car performed before you bought it? A GTI is a performance bargain in any language, so yeah, you're right, the price is 'relatively' high, compared to say, a Toyota Yaris or some such.

It's a seller's market, so maybe time for you to move onto another new car that you will no doubt find a lot of faults with. Sorry, man, I think you're expecting perfection where none has ever really existed, that is, there are no perfect cars.
I understand no car is perfect. I've had some with issues before but never so many this early in ownership. I've owned the following with no real issues other than a few recalls; 2008 R32, 2013 Golf R, 2007 Jetta 2.0T, 2010 EOS Lux. All from new or very slightly used. Maybe I just had a great steak of good luck.

·
Registered
2016 Golf 1.8TSI
1,370 Posts
Yeah, it's a hit or miss with all auto manufacturers. No major issues with my 2016 Mk7 1.8TSI so far, knocking on wood. This is my 4th VW and I had luck with 3 out of 4. I owned a 2012 Tiguan which showed some heater and transmission issues towards the end of my ownership but all other three VW's were fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Latest issue is a water filled taillight assembly. See my other post. Heading back to the dealer....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts