VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was the first time since I bought my MK7.5 R in April that I needed to use the defrost on the side view mirrors. I came out from lunch and the car was covered in ice droplets. I pushed downward on the mirror adjustment knob, and nothing happened the entire drive home (about 15 minutes). I pushed it down several times on the way home. When I got home, the mirrors showed no sign of melting whatsoever. The rear defroster worked fine, and rapidly.

Am I missing something? Is there some other magic I must do? Dance around the car, waving my arms around, chanting? It seemed pretty clear in the manual.

I guess I'll be mentioning it to the dealer during my next oil change, which is coming up in a week or two.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Funny someone should post this today. Yesterday, I scoured the manual and finally had to watch a youtube video to find out you turn the knob to the 6 o'clock position. I too was trying to push the button down. I am used to one button does it all cars that defrost the side mirrors in conjunction with the rear window.

·
Registered
403 Posts
VW should have done a better job on this. I agree that the mirror heating elements should just come on with the rear defrost, having a separate switch is confusing, adds unnecessary complexity to something that should be intuitive, and lends itself to leaving the heating elements on which will surely burn them out sooner.

·
Registered
730 Posts
VW should have done a better job on this. I agree that the mirror heating elements should just come on with the rear defrost, having a separate switch is confusing, adds unnecessary complexity to something that should be intuitive, and lends itself to leaving the heating elements on which will surely burn them out sooner.

the defrost function shuts down when the ambient air temp exceeds 68F.
pretty unlikely to burn out.

i do like how the rotary switch works with my folding mirrors and mirror defroster.

·
Registered
284 Posts
the defrost function shuts down when the ambient air temp exceeds 68F.
pretty unlikely to burn out.

i do like how the rotary switch works with my folding mirrors and mirror defroster.
Did not know about the auto shut off...that's good. I see so many mercedes mirrors fried from what I can only assume is leaving the mirror deforst on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts