VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

581 - 600 of 612 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yep that worked. Thanks so much. Anybody figure out how to disable start stop on a 21? Or allow operation of changing stuff while moving?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yay!

Regarding SS- we cannot doable via coding. I ordered a physical switch defroster from AliExpress. I’ll report back if it works.

·
Premium Member
43,693 Posts
Same with mirror drop. Vagcom shows memory module installed, but my x-y values show 0% and it wont drop it. Guess I'll be ordering so folding mirrors then
just updating this. never was able to get the mirror dip to work in reverse on my 2020 gti se. finally just caved and ordered the folding mirrors. now everything works (y)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Any 21' owners having trouble getting OBD11 to connect? Ive tried on my IPhone X and Pixel 4 and no luck. The app doesnt seem to recognize my VIN for some reason.

Dongle and apps worked fine on my 19' GLi on both phones.

Messaged their tech support, still havent heard anything back.
I have 3 day old 21’ GTI SE.
My buddy offered to OBD11 it.
It didn’t work at first. He then updated the app and we opened the HOOD. That triggers something in ECU. He is an Audi service Rep. They use same trick.
That did the trick. It then worked.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I have 3 day old 21’ GTI SE.
My buddy offered to OBD11 it.
It didn’t work at first. He then updated the app and we opened the HOOD. That triggers something in ECU. He is an Audi service Rep. They use same trick.
That did the trick. It then worked.
the issue i actually had was that OBDEleven didn't have NA 21 VIN's in their system when I bought my car. they actually had to go back and revise the app to include the NA 21 MK7.5's. once i sent them a photo of my VIN an updated the app a few weeks later, they had finally included that VIN range.

now if I could just get the Start/Stop App or voltage mod to work. that was my entire reason for purchasing the pro dongle in the first place. really don't want to add the ali express harness.

·
Premium Member
43,693 Posts
now if I could just get the Start/Stop App or voltage mod to work. that was my entire reason for purchasing the pro dongle in the first place. really don't want to add the ali express harness.
Don't bother and just order. I tried every option under the sun. No settings could disable it using vagcom. I finally just bought the aliexpress module and it works great. Should have done that from day1

·
Registered
2019 GTI SE w/PP,LP,DAP
33 Posts
Hi guys I’ve been looking into how to fully turn of the ESC on the 2019 mk7.5 models and it seems as though because of the changes module coding we can’t even long code ABS module at all which really limits how much we can do for the traction control on launch

Any one else have a 2019 gti and figure out a way around this ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
ECS CODING - NOT WORKING???

03 ABS > 07 Coding > Long COding > Choice 29 byte (last one)
Hex Values
05 - ESC ON/ASR Off/ESC OFF
06 - ESC ON/ESC SPORT / ESC OFF
09 - stock

Byte 29 is "89" not "09". I also have I think a total of 49 Bytes???

Has anyone successfully got ASR/ESC OFF with similar coding?

Thanks for any help.

This coding doesn't seem to be up to date? Long coding helper is also not available via VCDS. Here is what I see.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I haven’t hooked it up to see what it’ll do for this yet, but wanted to ask if anyone has tried...

Can OBD11 clear out what the DSG transmission has “learned”? Past month or so mine has been more and more annoying. Sloppy lurching up shifts at part throttle in sport, and won’t do anything at all in first gear, but will violently go to second at about 4K and take off. I think it might have just adapted in some weird way to driving in snow.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
ECS CODING - NOT WORKING???

03 ABS > 07 Coding > Long COding > Choice 29 byte (last one)
Hex Values
05 - ESC ON/ASR Off/ESC OFF
06 - ESC ON/ESC SPORT / ESC OFF
09 - stock

Byte 29 is "89" not "09". I also have I think a total of 49 Bytes???
Starbucker: Hi. Yes, it does indeed appear that your car has the newer (very long) hex03 module. I've not done this tweak, but I understand that it does work on the later modules,

As for your other question - the difference between "89" and "09" is one of nomenclature! To explain: a Byte has 8 x Bits and it can also be written as what's called a "hexadecimal-pair". Notice that the value of your Byte 29 has 2 x digits (i.e. "89", or written more correctly hex89) - so each of the digits is a hexadecimal number.

Translated to Binary numbers (i.e. Bits), this means that each hexadecimal digit in a Byte has an equivalent 4 x Bits like this:
  • for your hex89 value, the binary equivalent is 1000 1001 ( i.e. the first 4 x Bits =hex"8" and the second 4 x Bits = hex"9")
In your instructions, the author is only referring the "second 4 x Bits" (which because binary numbers are read from right-to-left, are Bits 0-3). When referring to just the "second 4 x Bits" in a Byte, it's normal to place a zero in the first digit of the hexadecimal pair.

So, in your instruction, settings like "09", "05" and "06" simply mean that the steps refer to the "second 4 x Bits" - being Bits 0-3.

Bottom line- your Byte 29 has the value "09" for the purposes of the instructions (which is the expected factory default)

Don

PS: here are the full set of possible values for Bits 0-3:
Code = Ignition switch-on / Short press / Long press (hold for 3-5 secs)
01 = ESC & ASR ON / Blank / Blank
02 = ESC & ASR ON / ASR OFF / Blank (factory setting for most Golf’s)
03 = ESC & ASR ON / ESC SPORT / Blank
04 = ESC & ASR ON / ESC OFF / Blank
05 = ESC & ASR ON / ASR OFF / ESC OFF
06 = ESC & ASR ON / ESC SPORT / ESC OFF
07 = ESC & ASR ON / ASR OFF / ESC OFF
08 = ESC & ASR ON / ESC SPORT / ESC OFF
09 = ESC & ASR ON / ASR OFF / ESC SPORT (factory setting for GTI & R )

Reactions: GolfR2012

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, I just joined today. I have a MK7.5 GTI S #DarthGTI I purchased in June. I bought obdeleven a month later and wanted to do some mods. However, I've been nervous. I did not want to screw with the electrics or ECU. The few things I want to do is: Navigation/Compass in dashboard, Throttle Pedal Response, Increased Engine Responsiveness and one of the Rear Lights Configuration (just not sure which is the best one). I know which engine mods I'm going with: Cold air intake and APR Stage 1 ECU. I just wanted to share my license plate :cool:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Starbucker: Hi. Yes, it does indeed appear that your car has the newer (very long) hex03 module. I've not done this tweak, but I understand that it does work on the later modules,

As for your other question - the difference between "89" and "09" is one of nomenclature! To explain: a Byte has 8 x Bits and it can also be written as what's called a "hexadecimal-pair". Notice that the value of your Byte 29 has 2 x digits (i.e. "89", or written more correctly hex89) - so each of the digits is a hexadecimal number.

Translated to Binary numbers (i.e. Bits), this means that each hexadecimal digit in a Byte has an equivalent 4 x Bits like this:
  • for your hex89 value, the binary equivalent is 1000 1001 ( i.e. the first 4 x Bits =hex"8" and the second 4 x Bits = hex"9")
In your instructions, the author is only referring the "second 4 x Bits" (which because binary numbers are read from right-to-left, are Bits 0-3). When referring to just the "second 4 x Bits" in a Byte, it's normal to place a zero in the first digit of the hexadecimal pair.

So, in your instruction, settings like "09", "05" and "06" simply mean that the steps refer to the "second 4 x Bits" - being Bits 0-3.

Bottom line- your Byte 29 has the value "09" for the purposes of the instructions (which is the expected factory default)

Don

PS: here are the full set of possible values for Bits 0-3:
Code = Ignition switch-on / Short press / Long press (hold for 3-5 secs)
01 = ESC & ASR ON / Blank / Blank
02 = ESC & ASR ON / ASR OFF / Blank (factory setting for most Golf’s)
03 = ESC & ASR ON / ESC SPORT / Blank
04 = ESC & ASR ON / ESC OFF / Blank
05 = ESC & ASR ON / ASR OFF / ESC OFF
06 = ESC & ASR ON / ESC SPORT / ESC OFF
07 = ESC & ASR ON / ASR OFF / ESC OFF
08 = ESC & ASR ON / ESC SPORT / ESC OFF
09 = ESC & ASR ON / ASR OFF / ESC SPORT (factory setting for GTI & R )
Thanks for this post. I just tried this on my 2021 GTI where it looks a bit different still. Has the same long 40+ bytes like Starbucker's, but byte 29 is now A9, not 09 or 89. I assume it's OK to ignore the A and just modify the 2nd part to A1-A9? Not sure what A is now and why they keep changing it.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Thanks for this post. I just tried this on my 2021 GTI where it looks a bit different still. Has the same long 40+ bytes like Starbucker's, but byte 29 is now A9, not 09 or 89. I assume it's OK to ignore the A and just modify the 2nd part to A1-A9? Not sure what A is now and why they keep changing it.
So, A9 is again simply another hexadecimal pair. One of the reasons why hexadecimal is used is because it is possible to use just one digit to specify 16 x different numbers. If decimal is used, only 10 x different numbers are possible with just one digit (i.e. 0,1, 2, 3.......9). Mathematicians call Hexadecimal a "base 16" number system, Decimal is called a "base 10" number system and Binary is a "base 2" number system

Here's how the 3 x number systems above work

Hexadecimal (base 16)Decimal (base 10)Binary (base 2)
A101010
B111011
C121100
D131101
E141110
F151111

Your value of A9 = Binary 0101 1001! Yes, don't change A - it's 9 that needs to be altered

Don

·
Registered
101 Posts
So, A9 is again simply another hexadecimal pair. One of the reasons why hexadecimal is used is because it is possible to use just one digit to specify 16 x different numbers. If decimal is used, only 10 x different numbers are possible with just one digit (i.e. 0,1, 2, 3.......9). Mathematicians call Hexadecimal a "base 16" number system, Decimal is called a "base 10" number system and Binary is a "base 2" number system

Here's how the 3 x number systems above work

Hexadecimal (base 16)Decimal (base 10)Binary (base 2)
A101010
B111011
C121100
D131101
E141110
F151111

Your value of A9 = Binary 0101 1001! Yes, don't change A - it's 9 that needs to be altered

Don
Thanks Don! I will try changing it to A6 and see. So it seems byte 29 has changed its first digit from 0/0000, to 8/1000, and now to A/1010 (you said A9 = 0101 1001, but isn't it 1010 1001?). The second digit is what counts here, but I wonder what the first one does, and if they are somehow connected?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks Don! I will try changing it to A6 and see. So it seems byte 29 has changed its first digit from 0/0000, to 8/1000, and now to A/1010 (you said A9 = 0101 1001, but isn't it 1010 1001?). The second digit is what counts here, but I wonder what the first one does, and if they are somehow connected?
Please report back your outcome on this. Super curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Please report back your outcome on this. Super curious. Thanks.
So it works. I changed byte 29 from A9 to A6, and things look and work properly. Button works, and I can also choose ESC OFF on the MIB CAR settings. I just wonder what that A does. Or 8 in your case. Why do they change them?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
So it works. I changed byte 29 from A9 to A6, and things look and work properly. Button works, and I can also choose ESC OFF on the MIB CAR settings. I just wonder what that A does. Or 8 in your case. Why do they change them?
As I've pointed-out in my previous responses, the "A" (which is called the "upper nibble" ; Byte, nibble -get it?) contains the software switches for Bits 7-4. On Byte 29, these upper-nibble switches operate:
  • Bit 7 = Emergency Alert (AWV)
  • Bit 5 = Side Assist (RCTA)
So, on your car - "A" means Binary 1010. Remembering that binary numbers are read from right-to-left, this means that Bit 7 is the left most digit and Bit 5 is the 2nd digit from the right-side. Therefore on your car both AWV and RCTA is active
In the other case - "8" means Binary 1000. Using the same logic as before, this means AWV is active, but RCTA is disabled

See- it's that easy!! ;)
Don

·
Registered
101 Posts
As I've pointed-out in my previous responses, the "A" (which is called the "upper nibble" ; Byte, nibble -get it?) contains the software switches for Bits 7-4. On Byte 29, these upper-nibble switches operate:
  • Bit 7 = Emergency Alert (AWV)
  • Bit 5 = Side Assist (RCTA)
So, on your car - "A" means Binary 1010. Remembering that binary numbers are read from right-to-left, this means that Bit 7 is the left most digit and Bit 5 is the 2nd digit from the right-side. Therefore on your car both AWV and RCTA is active
In the other case - "8" means Binary 1000. Using the same logic as before, this means AWV is active, but RCTA is disabled

See- it's that easy!! ;)
Don
I see, yes it's easy to understand in terms of bytes and bits. But how do you know what each byte and bits represent? AWV I think is the Front Assist and RCTA is the the Rear Traffic Alert system. And these are standard across all US GTI trims. I believe Starbucker has the 2021 S, while I have the 2021 Autobahn. Since his upper nibble is 8 and not A, this then doesn't make sense, as both trims should have RCTA. This would also mean the older "09" byte 29 cars didn't have either of them, or that they were in a different byte? It's all very interesting, but how to figure out what's what?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I see, yes it's easy to understand in terms of bytes and bits. But how do you know what each byte and bits represent? AWV I think is the Front Assist and RCTA is the the Rear Traffic Alert system. And these are standard across all US GTI trims. I believe Starbucker has the 2021 S, while I have the 2021 Autobahn. Since his upper nibble is 8 and not A, this then doesn't make sense, as both trims should have RCTA. This would also mean the older "09" byte 29 cars didn't have either of them, or that they were in a different byte? It's all very interesting, but how to figure out what's what?
I don't believe my "S" model has any rear sensors (rear cross traffic alert). I do know it has a front assist sensor since I've caused it to go off more than once! lol. Thank you both for your input, this is very helpful. I'm going to attempt coding today and I will report back.

581 - 600 of 612 Posts