VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

mk7 golf R WINTER WHEELS

1M views 3K replies 683 participants last post by  thesharkman 
#1 ·
Just wondering if the 16 inch wheels can fir the R front brake.
got a set of 205/65/16 winter tirez

Thx

#8 ·
My dealer ordered me a set of Volkswagen Silex 17" wheels.

Text Description:

Distinctive sharp-edged wheels featuring a star design of five double spokes finished in premium sterling silver color.
Size: 7J x 17, ET54. Center Cap Included. Each Wheel sold separately.
Requires P225/45R17 Tire.

Part#: 5C5071497 88Z
MSRP: $350.00

I got them for 250$ each (Canadian). It's what my dealer is putting on their sold Golf-R's for winter wheels/tires.

Click here to view VW's info about these wheels

#1,077 ·
Just mounted these for the upcoming winter:

17x7 Tronic wheel with 215/50x17 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 snow. This combo *exactly* matches the diameter 25.5" of my 235/35x19 stock summer wheels & tires.

(The 17x6 Tronic wheel that VW specs with 205/50x17 snow tire matches the 25.1" diameter of the 225/40x18 stock summer wheels & tires - mentioned for those that want to keep correct speedo reading.)

#16 · (Edited)
IMO there are only 2 four seasons tires that are truly four seasons - i.e. works well on snow and ice but still has the ability to survive and perform in hot weather - Goodyear Tripletred and Nokian.

Unfortunately Tripletred does not come in 225/40-18. That leaves you Nokian as the only choice.

The current offer from Nokian is called Weatherproof. Can't go wrong with it:

http://www.nokiantyres.com/all-weather-tyres/nokian-weatherproof/

***** EDIT *****

You can still get Nokian WRG3 although it seems to have been replaced by Weatherproof in Europe:

http://simpletire.com/nokian-wrg3-tires

#19 ·
I'm looking at the enkeis that are 19lbs but that's the same tire and size. I would like to get the Oz... But tbh I don't want to run wheels that nice in the winter.

#32 ·
Just bit the bullet on these:

After a lot of research, I really wanted the michelin PA4 tires, but was disappointed the only size they fit on this car was 225/40/18 and I wasnt happy with those specs and the loss of ride height.

Looked around and found the Pirelli S3 were available in the size I wanted and so I pulled the trigger.

The Fujin's are the lightest wheel available under 300/wheel and I found that acceptable for my combo.

#39 ·
Four Season vs Winter tires? Silex OK for 7R?

I am debating whether to get true winter tires or four season - either way, from Nokian. I live in Mass. suburbs, am down in Boston regularly and up in NH occasionally. Wondering whether a four season might perform better than a pure winter tire in city/wet/light snow settings, probably in 205 width for better road contact - I won't be cornering fast in bad weather anyways. Any thoughts?

As for Silex wheels, they look nice and have some width alternatives, but VW store says they only fit MkVI Golf. Any confirmation that these really do fit without problems on the 7R?

#43 ·
I am debating whether to get true winter tires or four season - either way, from Nokian. I live in Mass. suburbs, am down in Boston regularly and up in NH occasionally. Wondering whether a four season might perform better than a pure winter tire in city/wet/light snow settings, probably in 205 width for better road contact - I won't be cornering fast in bad weather anyways. Any thoughts?

As for Silex wheels, they look nice and have some width alternatives, but VW store says they only fit MkVI Golf. Any confirmation that these really do fit without problems on the 7R?
I'm in the similar dilemma. I live near Boston, my commute is mostly on highway mixed with some suburbs. Nokian WRG3 (better dry performance) vs. true studless snow tire (like Hakka or X-ice).

#45 ·
Imo, you get performance winters if you live in civilization. If your up in the areas where certain roads never get plowed or fully clear... Then get studless

#48 ·
Here's an article from car and driver comparing all seasons, performance winter, and ice and snow tires. It's a few years old, but it still rings true if you're really torn between what to do. I've had performance winter tires on my last two cars--an infiniti g35 coupe w/ rear wheel drive, and my pontiac G8 GT. I'll be ordering performance winters for the R as well. They've served me fine here in southwest ohio and I've been able to drive fine through all our winter weather just fine(snow and ice). It is a bit hilly in this area, but even if it was flat I would probably still go with a performance winter over an all season. It doesn't make much sense to me to buy an extra set of tires that were just all seasons, plus it still gets cold enough here that even if we go through a year without much snow there's still a benefit to the winter tires.

#49 ·
I've got 17" wheels sitting in my garage collecting dust. Might be a good fit for someone looking for winter wheels. They're off of my 2007 A3 Sline. Used it for about 1K miles. No curb damage.
17x7.5 ET56 made in Poland by Ronal. They're not light (26lbs).

#52 · (Edited)
I didn't want to break the bank with a set of winter wheels. If a rim or tire gets damaged from typical winter abuse, throw it away and get a new one cheaply. I also don't care too much about style (but don't want a steelie either) and speed/performance take a backseat in winter mode. On my old R32 I always ran the really soft Blizzak WS50 ice tires and I could pull a hole shot on an ice skating rink in the middle of a blizzard :laugh:

I read that the General Altimax Arctics reviewed very nicely and sounded like they performed like the old Blizzaks-and even outperforming more expensive tires (we'll see about that) Pairing up a set of 225/45/17 on some stock looking Moda 17x8 (a little stretch to maybe stiffen the sides) comes in at tire rack at just under 900 bucks.

A decent enough deal to give them a shot for a winter or two, and I was pleasantly surprised at how nice they do look when they came in...

#58 ·
To those who have purchased 225/45 R18's, are there any concerns with the wheel size being larger than the OEM size? I believe they are only 0.5" larger in diameter but I just want to double check before I place my order. Currently debating 225/45r17, 225/40r18 and 225/45r18. I live in an area with lots of snow and ice covered roads but I'm used to all weather tires so I'm fine with a performance winter.
Thanks!

#59 ·
Willtheyfit says the size is only about 5mm larger in radius. Definitely won't have fit problems.

I will test fit mine when I get them, but the wheels are coming in from enkei so they won't ship for another week or so.

#60 ·
In for info.

I'm in lower NY and I would never rock all seasons, in reality, there is no such thing as all seasons. It's more of a 3 season tire that isn't very good in snow.

I would go with a cold/snow weather tire like a blizzak ws or yokohama ice guards

I got the ice guards on my wife's forester and I was surprised how well they performed in the snow. I've used x-ices and ice grips and I've found the blizzak a to be the best in cold weather and super good in snow.

However they tend to be very mushy and on days the weather is abnormally warm to be a bit sloppy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#61 ·
Hi guys,

I'm getting my new R in a month or so and it is coming with the 19" Cadiz with performance summers. I'm in Vancouver, BC, and will need winters, but winters here consist mostly of rain a few degrees above freezing, then the occasional rip up to Whistler for skiing...as such, the winters are not all that hard on wheels. There roads are not salted and very little sand is used, since they rarely freeze.

The Cadiz wheels are very beautiful, but are also close to 25 lbs, if I'm not mistaken. I've researched rims and like the Neuspeed ones, where 18s are in the 19 lb range. Given the weight (unsprung mass) and also the cost of tires on the 19" rims, I have been debating the following options and would love opinions and feedback!

A) sell 19" summer tires, buy set of 19" winter tires, and use cadiz wheels as winters. Get set of 18" rims and performance summers. Performance and reducing unsprung mass will be less of an issue in the winter.
B) sell 19" cadiz wheels and tires, buy two sets of 18" - one for each season.
C) same as B, but hold onto Cadiz wheels for resale. Not really a priority for me, as I tend to hold onto my cars.
D) just buy winter wheel set and use Cadiz for summer.

Many thanks!

#63 ·
I just pressed the button on a set of 17x7.5 Enkei Fujins in black with the new Continental Wintercontact SIs. The tires are new releases this year and replace the excellent Extreme Winter Contacts that I've had on my current DD. The fujins certainly aren't the prettiest wheels for the R, but the price and weight were very reasonable. I had them sent to the dealership so they can install them when the car arrives at the end of this month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.