VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

mk7 golf R WINTER WHEELS

1M views 3K replies 683 participants last post by  thesharkman 
#1 ·
Just wondering if the 16 inch wheels can fir the R front brake.
got a set of 205/65/16 winter tirez

Thx

#1,844 ·
Just put these in today.

Neuspeed RSe10 18x8.5” wheels running Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 XL 235/40/18 tires. I’m also running 1” drop springs (Emmanuele Design). No rubbing, plenty of clearance. Brakes are Neuspeed 6-piston BBK with 370mm TTRS rotors. A few millimeters of clearance, but they clear the wheels (so long as you don’t have balance weights in he outer part of the rim).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#2,507 ·
Fifteen52 Integrale 17x7.5 et40 with 225/45 Gislaved tires. Running a 10mm spacer in the rear for aesthetic purposes, everything clears fine as-is. Fronts are tight to the caliper but still clear with normal wheel weight placement.

#2,591 ·
Yeah, I thought that would be the case. Considering the offset compared to the stock wheels, turning and bumping the strut I don't think are the issue but bumping the fender might be. I may just try it anyway before I sell them as I'm not sold on the Pilot Sport 4 A/S in Southern Ontario winters. It's about 1.5 inches larger in overall diameter compared to the stock 235/35/19s, and with the 40 offset it actually sits further out than stock.

Roads are typically plowed and I would rarely be traveling on unplowed or deeply snowed roads; am I underestimating the PS4 A/S in this case?

#8 ·
My dealer ordered me a set of Volkswagen Silex 17" wheels.

Text Description:

Distinctive sharp-edged wheels featuring a star design of five double spokes finished in premium sterling silver color.
Size: 7J x 17, ET54. Center Cap Included. Each Wheel sold separately.
Requires P225/45R17 Tire.

Part#: 5C5071497 88Z
MSRP: $350.00

I got them for 250$ each (Canadian). It's what my dealer is putting on their sold Golf-R's for winter wheels/tires.

Click here to view VW's info about these wheels

#1,077 ·
Just mounted these for the upcoming winter:

17x7 Tronic wheel with 215/50x17 Michelin X-Ice Xi3 snow. This combo *exactly* matches the diameter 25.5" of my 235/35x19 stock summer wheels & tires.

(The 17x6 Tronic wheel that VW specs with 205/50x17 snow tire matches the 25.1" diameter of the 225/40x18 stock summer wheels & tires - mentioned for those that want to keep correct speedo reading.)

#16 · (Edited)
IMO there are only 2 four seasons tires that are truly four seasons - i.e. works well on snow and ice but still has the ability to survive and perform in hot weather - Goodyear Tripletred and Nokian.

Unfortunately Tripletred does not come in 225/40-18. That leaves you Nokian as the only choice.

The current offer from Nokian is called Weatherproof. Can't go wrong with it:

http://www.nokiantyres.com/all-weather-tyres/nokian-weatherproof/

***** EDIT *****

You can still get Nokian WRG3 although it seems to have been replaced by Weatherproof in Europe:

http://simpletire.com/nokian-wrg3-tires

#19 ·
I'm looking at the enkeis that are 19lbs but that's the same tire and size. I would like to get the Oz... But tbh I don't want to run wheels that nice in the winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.