VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
2,541 - 2,560 of 2,613 Posts
Got a chance to test out my 17" winter setup on the Golf R. Tires are 225/50 Nokian Hakkapeliita R2's that had done 2 winters prior, still show the "8" very clearly and are in great condition. These were on my old Alltrack wagon and I thought they would be a bit taller than the stock 235/35R19 tires but they are dead on diameter wise, Nokians must run small. Also installed a set of Rok Blox short "rally" style mud flaps, they seem to work. I like the look of these for the winter, but I'll take them off each spring when the Prets go back on. I've got a couple of MM of clearance between the wheel weights and the calipers on the front.

In the fresh snow the Golf R is a lot of fun, I was smiling the whole time, and having lots of laugh out loud fun. :D That said, my old Alltrack rotated better in the snow and hung the tail out more. I'm assuming it's the extra weight way in back that made it more tail happy in ESC Sport mode than the R is.

Still happy with the R, I wouldn't want to go back to FWD in the winter.

Living in Alberta so we get enough snow to justify full fat winter tires, I wasn't after maximum grip in the white stuff so I got super cheap tires through work, Radar Dimax Alpine's for $350 CAD for four, 225/40R18. I wanted 17" wheels but a coworker sold me his stock Mk5 GLI wheels for $100 and I can't say no to paying less than $500 for a winter tire+wheel setup. Offset is +1mm over the Pretoria's and the narrower size keeps them tucked nicely in the fenders, not ideal asthetically but great for keeping spray and slush off the sides.

Bremmer Kraft BR16s. 17x8" ET45. Tires are Michelin X-ice 225/45/17. I have 10mm spacers on the front and 15mm on the rear. I have a lot of distance between the spokes and the caliper on the front and could probably drop down to a 5-6mm spacer but we'll see.

I had an odd tapping/rub noise that was rotational. When first inspected yesterday, I didn't find any signs of anything touching/scraping but I was losing daylight. I went out this morning and found the issue. The RF wheel has a strip of 7 wheel weights on it. For whatever reason, they are making ever so slight contact with the caliper. I rotated the rear wheel that only has 2 weights on it to the front and the problem disappeared. I'll have to take the wheel back to Discount Tire and have them re-balance it so that it doesn't need so many weights in a row.

problem weights:

with 10mm spacers on front

caliper clearance

Velox brand (unknown model) with Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4. I purchased them used from my sister-in-law after she sold her S3. Decent tread left and got them for about $1k less than she paid for them.

I had my winter tires mounted for a while and I finally decided to do the swap today.

Here's my before

Here's the after

I ended up going with MICHELIN X-ICE XI3 on 18" Replika R199's

We don't get a whole lot of snow here but once you go with snows on any vehicle I find you seldom regret it. Plus I want to keep my 19" Pretoria's looking good.

Bremmer Kraft BR16s. 17x8" ET45. Tires are Michelin X-ice 225/45/17. I have 10mm spacers on the front and 15mm on the rear. I have a lot of distance between the spokes and the caliper on the front and could probably drop down to a 5-6mm spacer but we'll see.

I had an odd tapping/rub noise that was rotational. When first inspected yesterday, I didn't find any signs of anything touching/scraping but I was losing daylight. I went out this morning and found the issue. The RF wheel has a strip of 7 wheel weights on it. For whatever reason, they are making ever so slight contact with the caliper. I rotated the rear wheel that only has 2 weights on it to the front and the problem disappeared. I'll have to take the wheel back to Discount Tire and have them re-balance it so that it doesn't need so many weights in a row.
those look really close to those pretoria reps that you had; why the switch?

shark -

those look really close to those pretoria reps that you had; why the switch?

shark -

Well, I was initially on the fence on refinishing the existing R195's or buying a new set. On one hand, I wanted to change things up for the winter as I get bored easily and I thought I'd use the opportunity to get away from the "Pretoria look" year round. On the other hand was budget and domestic availability. I had already spent more on the car this year than I had intended with the TT-S brake conversion. Most of the wheel choices I wanted were not available in the US and shipping - even from Canada which is where the previous Replika R195's came from - put what I wanted out of reach for what I was willing to spend. For example, shipping from the Toronto area to Pittsburgh which isn't that far was going to run $300+ for shipping a set of wheels. The PNW region of Canada to PA was $450-$500. I also needed to be cautious on what I was buying to ensure that they would be able to work with the TT-S calipers, so not all of my choices would work.

I had just started to look into local wheel shops to have the R195's refinished when I happened on this pic:

Even though those were 19's, still kinda looked like the Pret's, and were only available in 17" in bright silver, I liked the design and I took a closer look at the Bremmer Kraft's. I then came upon this post while poking around Vortex:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...equested&p=114699907&viewfull=1#post114699907

UncleJB noted that Tire Rack had them on closeout and that really got my attention. For what Tire Rack was charging, I couldn't pass them up. 2 weeks or so later and here we are. :)

I got in on the Bremmer Kraft deal too. BR16 19X8.5 @ $125/ea and then Pirelli Sottozero 3 235/35R-19. $1500 all-in. Kinda feel a little dumb driving winters that are wider than the stock Pretoria's, but holy crap this was a smoking deal I couldn't pass up.

I got in on the Bremmer Kraft deal too. BR16 19X8.5 @ $125/ea and then Pirelli Sottozero 3 235/35R-19. $1500 all-in. Kinda feel a little dumb driving winters that are wider than the stock Pretoria's, but holy crap this was a smoking deal I couldn't pass up.
They look great in 19! If they would have had the 19's in stock in gun metal grey or whatever it is called, I would have had a hard time talking myself out of buying a set!

Hey all,

Well, someone asked what PSI for 17". I have the 215/50R17 Nokian tires and I inflate to 35.5 PSI. Someone posted a chart somewhere in the forum, I derived my values from that.

Anyway, I posted to this thread last fall with my awesome wheel findings for my 2019 Golf R. The GTI Brooklyn wheels. Anyway, sadly I sold the Golf because I need more cargo capacity. But my Brooklyn Wheels and my Hakka R3's are for sale if anyone is interested.

They are literally like new. If you live in Toronto, Ontario (or GTA), we can arrange a meet.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1535940019

R

Well, I was initially on the fence on refinishing the existing R195's or buying a new set. On one hand, I wanted to change things up for the winter as I get bored easily and I thought I'd use the opportunity to get away from the "Pretoria look" year round. On the other hand was budget and domestic availability. I had already spent more on the car this year than I had intended with the TT-S brake conversion. Most of the wheel choices I wanted were not available in the US and shipping - even from Canada which is where the previous Replika R195's came from - put what I wanted out of reach for what I was willing to spend. For example, shipping from the Toronto area to Pittsburgh which isn't that far was going to run $300+ for shipping a set of wheels. The PNW region of Canada to PA was $450-$500. I also needed to be cautious on what I was buying to ensure that they would be able to work with the TT-S calipers, so not all of my choices would work.

I had just started to look into local wheel shops to have the R195's refinished when I happened on this pic:

Even though those were 19's, still kinda looked like the Pret's, and were only available in 17" in bright silver, I liked the design and I took a closer look at the Bremmer Kraft's. I then came upon this post while poking around Vortex:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...equested&p=114699907&viewfull=1#post114699907

UncleJB noted that Tire Rack had them on closeout and that really got my attention. For what Tire Rack was charging, I couldn't pass them up. 2 weeks or so later and here we are. :)
Hrrrmmmmm, they have some 18" in Hyper Silver that are still not terribly bad at $164ea. Not the great deal of $125 though...LOL.

shark -

18x8 Pretoria replica wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpin 4's

Nice performance snow tire... live just outside of Toronto and the roads get plowed pretty quickly. They have been great for 2 winters so far, just put them on 2 days ago. Great performance on clean cold roads and lots of fun and capability on snow.

Hi! I love the look of those rims and I'm thinking of doing the same (in speed silver). Everyone is saying that only 18" is recommended. You haven't had any issues with your 17s? Would you have done anything differently?

Thanks!
Thanks! Absolutely no issues, they clear front & rear as is. Would not change a thing! You just need hubcentric rings and conical seat lug bolts. The additional sidewall when going 17" is a wonderful thing for winter too in respect to ride quality.

Pic from this year, running ~30mm drop for winter :thumbup:

2,541 - 2,560 of 2,613 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.