VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MK7 Haldex V Fluid Change DIY

After 10,000 fun miles (1000 of which were with the increased traction mod) I've decided to perform a Haldex oil change to see how it's holding up without an actual filter. Unfortunately my discoveries were not what I expected them to be. The oil looked really dark (almost black), much darker than what I’ve seen come out of my 2012 Tiguan (Haldex IV with filter) after 40k miles. There was also some gunk inside the pump’s housing and on the plastic screen/mesh filter (see photos below). I was kind of disappointed with my discoveries, although I am now convinced that a 30k recommended service interval without a filter in the system is not sufficient, at least not for my driving style. I don't baby my car but I don't abuse it either. I like to drive it spiritedly. Even though a Haldex V is a simpler system, VW should have kept the actual filter they had in Haldex IV system IMO.

Luckily it’s a very simple DIY which takes only 20-30 min and can be done with some simple tools in the comfort of your garage. I'll personally be doing this service every 10k miles from now on (cheap insurance). I am also sending a sample to a Blackstone for analysis, to get an idea whether the dark colored oil could actually go the distance (30k miles). Hoping for the best but we’ll see.

Parts needed:

1- Haldex fluid 850ml: G-060-175-A2 (x1)
2- Drain plug: N-910-827-01 (x1)
3- Fill Plug: N-902-818-02 (x1)
4- Pump o-rings and bolts kit (optional):
0CQ-598-305 (x1): https://www.vwpartscenter.net/oem-parts/volkswagen-dichtsatz-0cq598305

Tools:

1- Hex 8mm (for drain plug)
2- Hex 5mm (for fill plug)
3- T30 (for pump bolts)
4- Fluid pump (you can pick one up at the auto store: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/.../gear-oil-pump-17698/fluid-pump/w1139/4613599

Raise your car on all four corners (make sure it's leveled). Remove 5mm Haldex fill plug (always remove fill plug first). Remove Haldex 8mm drain plug. Let the oil drain completely. Remove two T30 bolts from oil pump and carefully pull it out by wiggling it side to side, there will be more oil inside the pump so be ready. I did not disconnect electrical connection, there was enough slack in the wire to just set the pump aside. Wipe down the inside of the pump’s housing and the plastic filter on the pump itself. Clean or replace two o-rings on the pump (I reused mine). Reinstall the pump using new or original bolts (I reused originals). Install new drain plug and torque it to 32Nm. Pump the fresh Haldex fluid trough the fill plug (about 650ml). Install the OLD fill plug but don’t torque it yet. Start the car for a minute to prime the Haldex pump and let it fill with oil. Stop the car, remove the OLD fill plug and pump some more oil in (it should take another 50ml +/-) until it starts to drain out. As soon as the oil is down to dripping install the NEW fill plug and torgue it to 15Nm (I didn’t use torque wrench since all my t-wrenches start at 30Nm, I just firmly snugged it up with the small 1/4” ratchet). Wipe everything down, lower your car and take her for a spin. Check for leaks. You’re done!

Ps. Manual calls for fluid to be between 20c-40c. If you live in a colder climate or where the ambient temperature in your garage is below 20c (68f) then I'd suggest placing the new Haldex oil bottle in a bucket with warm water for 15-20 min prior. Definitely easier than taking the car off the stands and putting it back on after a warm up drive

Hex bits and drain/fill plugs

Fluid Pump

Haldex bottle with fluid pump installed

Haldex unit

Remove fill plug (5mm hex)

Remove drain plug (8mm hex)

Drain Haldex oil

Remove two Haldex pump torx bolts (T-30)

Remove (by wiggling) pump out of the housing (more oil from the pump will drain out) and set it aside on the exhaust pipe. Be careful not to damage the harness.

Pump close up

Pump's mesh filter screen close up

Pump's housing

Housing close up

Clean housing and pump's mesh screen then reinstall pump and torque T-30 bolts to specs (guessing around 15-19Nm). You can now also replace O-rings if you bought the kit (optional).

Install new drain plug and torque it to 32Nm

Pump fresh fluid in (about 650ml). Start the engine and run it for 30 sec to prime the haldex pump, shut it down, pump in additional fluid (50ml +/-) until it starts to drain out.

Install new fill plug after fluid is down to dripping and torque it to 15Nm. Done!

Old/used Haldex fluid

Reactions: kfosburg

·
Registered
408 Posts
Great write up. Probably going to do this with my DSG service. What did you use to clean the pump housing and screen filter? Brake clean, soap and water, ?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Nice write-up and excellent photos!

A few things:
- Part numbers for the drain and fill plugs?
- They appear to have regular copper sealing washers, so why not just replace the washers?
- However copper washers can be reused if you anneal them. Use needle-nose pliers to hold the washer in a gas flame (kitchen stove or blow torch) until it starts to glow red, then place it on a heatproof surface and allow to cool for a minute or so. Done!
- I like that pump that screws on the oil bottle. Where did you get it?

Neil

·
Registered
772 Posts
Very nice write up! Now did you run the car to warm up the oil in the Haldex? Also, How did you clean the filter(Water or Air pressure)? How much mL does the Haldex hold and how much oil came out? I wanna do it myself and looks easy but with my luck I might F#@# it up....LOL! Looking to do this along with DSG as well in the spring. I am at 20K.

We now need a DSG service write up....:beer:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Subbed

Thanks for the awesome write-up. Please keep us posted on the Blackstone results. I’ll probably do this anyway since I’ve tracked my car 3 full days, but really interested to see what they say about your oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
737 Posts
May be helpful to edit the images and insert arrows referring to the part locations as nothing is labeled.

The drain/fill plugs aren't too hard to identify but I've got no clue where that filter came from. It looks like the gray cylinder off towards the opposite side of the camera?

·
Registered
23,095 Posts
Weren't you and others telling me, months ago, i waste money on doing my haldex every 10k lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thanks for the DIY, will definitely be doing this myself in the spring.

Question, where did you get that trick pump/hose to fill the diff? That looks awesome, sooooo much better than squeezing the bottle and trying to hold it up higher than the diff where there is no room to do it so you grab a longer hose then leak fluid all over the floor then have to order more fluid only to have it slip off...you get the idea.

Part # and brand of the fluid pump please!:thumbup:

·
Registered
857 Posts
Speaking of the haldex fluid, is there any way to check the fluid level as there is no dipstick found in the engine bay? Are these sealed systems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Speaking of the haldex fluid, is there any way to check the fluid level as there is no dipstick found in the engine bay? Are these sealed systems?

I'd be massively impressed if they got a dipstick all the way from the rear diff to the engine bay :laugh:

This is a sealed system at the rear of the car, self contained and level does not need to be checked. If it's leaking, you'll have to drain it and refill it anyway when you're fixing whatever is wrong with it lol.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Got ya. Still learning.

No worries haha. The general lowdown on the haldex system is:

Driveshaft leaves the transmission towards the back > Driveshaft connects to the haldex system > Haldex system is coupled to the rear differential.

Under low load situations the rear differential is decoupled from the driveshaft via the haldex system and when the car determine's it's necessary it couples the driveshaft to the rear differential thus transferring up to 50% of the power to the rear end.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
May be helpful to edit the images and insert arrows referring to the part locations as nothing is labeled.

The drain/fill plugs aren't too hard to identify but I've got no clue where that filter came from. It looks like the gray cylinder off towards the opposite side of the camera?
I uploaded photos from my iPhone trough Tapatalk, so no arrows or labels, lol.

Very nice write up! Now did you run the car to warm up the oil in the Haldex? Also, How did you clean the filter(Water or Air pressure)? How much mL does the Haldex hold and how much oil came out? I wanna do it myself and looks easy but with my luck I might F#@# it up....LOL! Looking to do this along with DSG as well in the spring. I am at 20K.

We now need a DSG service write up....:beer:
No, didn't warm up the car or Haldex oil. Even though the manual states that the fluid must be between 20c-43c, for the warmer states it's a non issue. Everything is at around 20c in my garage. I forgot to bring my good scale from the office so I used the not so accurate scale I had in my garage. Over all I think I removed/replaced around 700ml. DSG is a little more involved, luckily I am MT, so one less headache, lol.

Great write up. Probably going to do this with my DSG service. What did you use to clean the pump housing and screen filter? Brake clean, soap and water, ?
I used microfiber rags, no chemical or water at all. Crud came off without a problem and the rest washed off with leftover fluid from the pump when I tilted it. The crude isn't as bad as it seems on the picture, it's something similar to what you see on the magnets in the transmission tray.

Nice write-up and excellent photos!

A few things:
- Part numbers for the drain and fill plugs?
- They appear to have regular copper sealing washers, so why not just replace the washers?
- However copper washers can be reused if you anneal them. Use needle-nose pliers to hold the washer in a gas flame (kitchen stove or blow torch) until it starts to glow red, then place it on a heatproof surface and allow to cool for a minute or so. Done!
- I like that pump that screws on the oil bottle. Where did you get it?

Neil
Thanks for the DIY, will definitely be doing this myself in the spring.

Question, where did you get that trick pump/hose to fill the diff? That looks awesome, sooooo much better than squeezing the bottle and trying to hold it up higher than the diff where there is no room to do it so you grab a longer hose then leak fluid all over the floor then have to order more fluid only to have it slip off...you get the idea.

Part # and brand of the fluid pump please!:thumbup:
I updated my OP with part numbers and a link ;)

1 - 20 of 224 Posts