VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2022 Mk8 GTI Autobahn in Pomelo Yellow
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post on VW Vortex, because I mainly don't know where to go anymore for help.

TL;DR: I need to find a replacement for my rear left caliper/ caliper housing, can I retrofit S3 rear calipers or Mk7 GTI calipers to my Mk8 GTI Autobahn

So roughly 4 months ago I got into a bit of an accident... at around 2am I was on my way home and had gotten ran off the road by a suburban. My emergency breaking system went off, and had me spinning off the road and onto a rock trap on the side of the highway. Whole left side of the car needed to be redone (wheels, suspension, etc). After about 3 months of waiting for parts, they were installed, all is good. Well on my way home from the shop, I noticed an atrocious noise coming from the back left of my car when breaking, and it turns out the collision shop who repaired my car forgot to mention the caliper housing on my back left wheel was cracked (due to the force in which I initially hit the rock trap).

With that said, their response was that they'll fix it, but they cannot find the parts they need anywhere in the country. Noting this, I went to someone I knew personally who works for VAG, specifically parts, and asked them if they knew where I could find a single rear caliper and housing in the country. They told me that I wouldn't be able to find any, and at this time (June, 2022) there is no ETA on when these parts are coming to the US. Additionally, in my dealer parts network, they haven't had any in stock in over a month.

So that leaves me with either readily available (albeit expensive) aftermarket options, used options (I'm more certain there are no used Mk8 options), or retrofitting. Admittedly, I'm not all too familiar with the Mk8 platform, it seems like it's somewhat greenspace for a lot of folks. So the long and short of it is, could I retrofit a Mk7 caliper to my Mk8, or S3 calipers to my Mk8? Since the Mk8 is based on the MQB Evo platform, I couldn't imagine EVERYTHING to be reworked to a point that they don't share some parts from the previous parts bin.. Before anyone replies with ShopDAP's videos on shared Mk7 parts, I've already watched them and they don't touch on the specifics I need for the rear breaks.

Any help on this would be much appreciated, thank you!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.