VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

MK8 exterior design too safe

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  HughEv 
#1 ·
It's fairly clear now as more VW ID cars come out that the best designers at VW weren't assigned to the MK8 Golf. The MK8 whether you like it or not is full of design cues, especially along the sides, that have been worked to death by other brands going back many years. While the ID cars look fresh and modern. I'm not buying the MK8 as I just purchased an MK7 but I'm worried that this could easily mark the beginning of the end of the Golf line as the ID cars look to become (are) the main focus of VW going forward. The lack of effort and risk shown in the design of the MK8 is only going to speed this transition unfortunately.

It's true that design changes from one Golf to the next have always been subtle but the new car always managed to look modern and fresh and the GTI version exciting. The MK8 GTI can't save the poor Golf design it is based on. I hope I'm wrong but this car is unlikely to sell well and can't possibly remain looking fresh if it has the typical 7 year life span typical of VW. The interior is also going to get dated quick. It's terribly easy for economy cars to slap on bigger and bigger flat panel displays over the next , and its not expensive at all create great graphics on these screens. So how do you differentiate a car with a flat panel interior? It is just software. Anyway I hope I am wrong and the GTI remains a big seller (with a 6 speed transmission) for many years. The MK8 Golf in the US is already gone, and it is only the GTI and Golf R left holding the flag. So they have to sell well.

See less See more
#3 ·
The Golf will be around for some time. It is VW's most important car with global sales traditionally in the 800,000 to 1,000,000 units per year. They, therefore, need to be very careful in making significant changes. They certainly will not make any significant changes to suit the U.S. market as the U.S. is simply not that important for the Golf. Golf buyers around the world want a practical vehicle. Most would not want to be caught dead in something that looks like the new Honda Civic. The ID models will be relatively expensive for some time.

#4 ·
I am not against them playing it safe. In fact since the Mk1 it has been incremental improvement, but each new design has a certain freshness to it that carries the Golf and the VW family look a little bit forward. What we are seeing with the MK8 design is that it is being relegated to the bottom in regards to carrying a new design language. The freshest design are the ID cars, and the new VW family language is derivative of existing design trends from competitors and is more appropriate for VW's new line of SUV. Take a look at how better integrated the new MK8 headlight style is on the new 2022 Tiguan. Even the MK8 GTI air scoops look better on this SUV.

The ID car is electric and the Golf is Gas/Hybrid; a technology on its way out. VW is clearly more focused on electric and hot selling SUVs and the design team got the hint.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/European_Tiguan-Large-11906-610x343.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.