VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anyone get a look to see if the US version rear turn signals are red or amber? And if those are LED or not?
Tired of being behind on lighting tech the Euro-world.
They are LED... not sure on the color tho. I may be the only person on this but I think the US taillights look better than the euro :LOL: just wish they had the same matrix function.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Base Golf LED lights for NA again…..at least it’ll probably keep the amber turn signal, or a separate lit up turn signal, which should make a retrofit much easier…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looking for a video that cycles all the rear lights (braking, reverse, turn signal).
Also want to confirm we get the awesome front animated amber signal.
Anyone send a video showing US spec in action?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Guys,

Here is a video showing the NA tail lights in action. Skip to exactly 5:00. I much prefer the solid light bar within the tail on the NA version that I do the dots.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Guys,

Here is a video showing the NA tail lights in action. Skip to exactly 5:00. I much prefer the solid light bar within the tail on the NA version that I do the dots.

Yes saw this video. Unfortunately that is only the parking/taillights. None of the other lights in action (turn signal, reverse, and brakes engaged). That’s just static parking lights.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is another video; not as dark. Skip to 9:32

Same situation. We need someone in the car with video of the tail, then engage reverse, step on the brakes, and turn the turn signals on. German videos are usually very good at showing all this but haven’t found one for US spec. Here is a great video but it’s German spec. Light run through all in the beginning.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
VWOA cost cutting...nothing to do with the laws here.
Nope, it’s because of DOT laws. Turn signal can’t be going through the brake light and needs to be size wise a certain percentage of the overall size of the light assembly……also the turn signal has to light up initially a certain way as well, hence toyota copied it with a “disappearing” swiping motion, where the whole turn signal lights up first, then swipes “away”. That is also the reason the NA Audi tails look so dumb, with another light chamber blinking normal along with the swiping red turn signal…..

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Definitely switching to the EU lights when I get the R
Yup! Not even to be discussed haha

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

Reactions: fast16

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nope, it’s because of DOT laws. Turn signal can’t be going through the brake light and needs to be size wise a certain percentage of the overall size of the light assembly……also the turn signal has to light up initially a certain way as well, hence toyota copied it with a “disappearing” swiping motion, where the whole turn signal lights up first, then swipes “away”. That is also the reason the NA Audi tails look so dumb, with another light chamber blinking normal along with the swiping red turn signal…..

It’s so dumb....the turn signal on a Tesla model 3 is a tiny little line! How is that safer?

·
Registered
9 Posts
It’s so dumb....the turn signal on a Tesla model 3 is a tiny little line! How is that safer?
It’s not about safer, it’s about total lumens initially displayed which is interpreted by USDOT and NHTSA as “minimal illumination required to be visible”.
Ex: Mustang 3-bar sequential turn signal starts with 1-bar, but that first bar of three is enough lumens to satisfy the requirement.
I agree, the Tesla brake and turn signal appears not enough light, but meets the minimal US lumens required. I rather have more light all day long.

I’m also in the camp to light swap the Mk-8 to Euro. Much cooler 100%. But remember if you do, you get rear ended, and gets into a court of law, if the other side wants to argue “didn’t see the brake lights or signal” you will be at a disadvantage and this could come up (if their lawyer is good).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Spend some time reading U.S. specs for lighting. It will absolutely melt your brain and confirm how screwed up our govt is. Of course when you realize we can’t even have globs emission specifications, how could we ever expect global lighting specs, or mirror specs, or, or, or….

21 - 38 of 38 Posts