VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

MK8 Golf R downgraded taillights for U.S.?

22K views 49 replies 22 participants last post by  golfcor 
#1 ·
Seems like this is always the case due to the outdated regulations for headlights/taillights here. Looks like we might get the base Golf tails:

See less See more
#4 ·
They should do it like Volvo where the hardware is made available and tech is just not activated. Then when the laws change (if they ever change), they can just update software. Or for the few who have the cable can just activate it hehe.

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Seems like this is always the case due to the outdated regulations for headlights/taillights here. Looks like we might get the base Golf tails:
Looks like it could just be a base German model sent to the USA for testing? If you configure the mk8 GTI/R on volkswagen.de, those look similar. But I wouldn't be surprised if those were the base tailights coming to the US as well. Here's some shots I took last week at Volkswagen's Engineering Center in California of the new GTI with IQ lights. Although I am sure "IQ" lights will be different in the US (regulations):

#10 ·
I’m curious where the amber reflectors are on the front bumper. If they’re built into bumper (like Tiguan) or if they’re built into headlights (like Mk7 and Mk7.5) [emoji848]

Has anyone seen any pics of the front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was looking through the pictures I took that day and realized this pure white example has the amber reflectors on the bumper. Potentially a US spec but they are still testing these.

#13 ·
I am more interested in the R, as I have a mk7.5 now and my lease is up this year. So couple of things. For me I really don't care much about the taillights, or a sunroof, or even the wheel design. The wheels can always be changed as can the tail lights if you want. I care about if the performance pack will be coming over, either as standard or as an option. It looks here as though it may not as the larger spoiler is not on this picture. Also the Akrapovic exhaust is also absent (which I really wish they would bring over, even as an option) I really hope the performance pack with it's drift and Nuremberg modes come over, as per the page on VW Canadas website. What I am happy about is we will ge a manual transmission whereas it seems everywhere else is dsg only.

#31 ·
Same situation. We need someone in the car with video of the tail, then engage reverse, step on the brakes, and turn the turn signals on. German videos are usually very good at showing all this but haven’t found one for US spec. Here is a great video but it’s German spec. Light run through all in the beginning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.