VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So VW decided to give us a preview of the upcoming MK8 Golf R. Thanks to Megan/Tanner/Humble/Paul and everyone else who pulled their weight to get this thing over here! Saw it live in action and it's great. The lines in pictures don't do it justice ... I haven't driven it, but talking to Charles (HumbleMechanic) who has, he says that it's really really good. Much better than he WANTS to give it credit ;). I have snapped a few pics and walk around vid. The gauge cluster is amazing lit up, the LED strip up front goes across the whole front ... there are a lot of cool featuers and the seats are amazing.

I did search but couldn't find the thread ...

But anyway, WITW21 was amazing, such a great experience, such great roads and well worth the 1100 miles tip 1 way! We got back yesterday after 17hr drive ... ;).

I'm tired, I'm babbling ... questions LMK.

Cheers!

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's) / '21 SQ5 (on order)
40,270 Posts
Did they say what they’re cutting from the US spec?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
So much for the historically understated R interior (those seat colors)......:LOL:.

I haven't read many reviews thus far that love the interior.....but many that do love the performance

Regardless of reactions...thanks for posting!

·
Banned
33 Posts
The Golf R needs some proper recognition for the engineering that has gone into it. Amongst a suspension which can prohibit the rear from dipping by adjusting the rear suspension travel during hard launches thus maximizing traction, it also has an awesome drift mode that actually works superb. You have to watch the StraightPipes yt and watch the VW racer demonstrate it all. Btw I actually like those seats and the theme behind them.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Megan told me directly that with the exception of the exhaust and US spec head/tail lights, "every option that can be had on the euro spec will be on the US version". If that is true, and there aren't any last minute changes, then we're looking at a fully equipped car, but likely with a price to match.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
'83 GTI, 04 R32, '14 GLI, '15 GLI
21,213 Posts
That's effectively the car we are getting minus the sport exhaust(too much $$). We get the wing, big brakes from the perf package, 19's, etc. The tails will be different, blame DOT crappy lighting regs for that NOT VW. We will be getting heads up display as standard. Option will be for DSG. Manual will be standard. We will NOT be getting the cloth seats at least for launch. Leather will be standard, which really isn't the worst thing and I prefer. We will be getting Drift and "Special" mode which is all part of the Perf package in the EU/UK.

The car is pretty amazing. Reviews in Europe/UK have been all fairly positive minus the interior, but I'll reserve judgement on that until I get my hands on it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Megan told me directly that with the exception of the exhaust and US spec head/tail lights, "every option that can be had on the euro spec will be on the US version". If that is true, and there aren't any last minute changes, then we're looking at a fully equipped car, but likely with a price to match.

And the one at WITW, while obviously Euro-spec, had a heads-up display, which she specifically pointed to when she was saying we would get everything. Please don't water it down, VWoA bean-counters!

Reactions: gixxerfool

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
6,108 Posts
I love it. Interior colors and all. TBH I never understood why the R was toned down; that was one of the reasons I went GTI over R for the Mk7. This time around it'd be R or bust. (y)

edit: Two more details--
1. Steering wheel looks perfect. Reminds me of old Mk5. Best wheel I've ever had, even better than the GT wheel in my 982.
2. Brakes are still single piston. Oh well. I know they can get away with it and the pedal feel won't be terrible, but the difference good 4-pistons make is noticeable.

·
Administrator
'83 GTI, 04 R32, '14 GLI, '15 GLI
21,213 Posts
I love it. Interior colors and all. TBH I never understood why the R was toned down; that was one of the reasons I went GTI over R for the Mk7. This time around it'd be R or bust. (y)

edit: Two more details--
1. Steering wheel looks perfect. Reminds me of old Mk5. Best wheel I've ever had, even better than the GT wheel in my 982.
2. Brakes are still single piston. Oh well. I know they can get away with it and the pedal feel won't be terrible, but the difference good 4-pistons make is noticeable.
Let me double check myself, but perf pack has two pot fronts, not single like on the Mk 7/7.5.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't know why they want the shifter to disappear so much on the DSG (same as recent 911). :( I have an automatic Audi and use the shifter in manual mode daily.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
6,108 Posts
Let me double check myself, but perf pack has two pot fronts, not single like on the Mk 7/7.5.
Oh awesome, I just searched and indeed did find a number of people saying it's 2-piston/375mm. From schwab0's pictures it definitely looks like a floating caliper...I've never seen a two piston floating caliper before but I suppose they are both on the inside? That's really good news if so, 375mm is huuuuge for a single piston.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I hope that is not the interior color we will get.
We are not getting the alcantara/plaid seats. We are getting the nappa leather black w/ blue accent seats. I actually wish we got the plaid portion.

The car looks great each time I see it online.

Can't wait to try the MT and see how the performance stacks up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I hate to be that guy, but the infotainment/steering wheel controls make it a non-starter for me. It's not just so-so, it's objectively bad.

On the other hand I'm not really in the market for it so who cares. Looks like VW built one hell of a hot hatch!
Have you used it? Go test drive an ID.4, it's not that bad.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
It really looks good. My only complaint with the Golf R up to this point is they "hit the numbers" with the previous cars, but they didn't take it over the line to imbue it with real fun like the Focus RS and WRX STi. I hope they did that with this version...if they did, behold, we have a new daddy on the block.

Oh...and I DO hope they upgraded the clutch this time...

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Schwabo - Thanks for posting this up. Nice to see some more photos/videos. And after you get some sleep - awaiting other photos from this trip to Wookies.
There has to be some TCL required BBQ pics, right? :)

The car is pretty amazing. Reviews in Europe/UK have been all fairly positive minus the interior, but I'll reserve judgement on that until I get my hands on it.
The performance reviews really sound amazing.
Looking forward to your post after you have some seat time.

That being said, I'm in the Debbie Downer camp w/ FastGTi: (maybe we both suffer from Old Man Syndrome? Shakes fist at cloud...:))
That center stack, the DSG nubbly little shifter thing (even the manual shifter just looks weird IMHO) the driver focused screen tilt, non-button buttons, ugh.

Maybe it really is a 'have to see it in person' type of situation...
I'll remain optimistic.

I hate to be that guy, but the infotainment/steering wheel controls make it a non-starter for me. It's not just so-so, it's objectively bad.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oh awesome, I just searched and indeed did find a number of people saying it's 2-piston/375mm. From schwab0's pictures it definitely looks like a floating caliper...I've never seen a two piston floating caliper before but I suppose they are both on the inside? That's really good news if so, 375mm is huuuuge for a single piston.
That's the way they are on my 89 Mustang with 1994 Cobra brakes. 2 pistons on inside.

Not sure which is better for 2 piston design, 2x piston on inside or 1 in and 1 out.

Reactions: ghost03

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Old Audis had a 2 piston sliding caliper- Lucas/Girling G60. Definitely for packaging as the piston would have to be huge if it were a single piston. I'm with you- fixed caliper is definitely preferred for pedal feel. The sliding piston setup will probably not be as likely to squeal under light braking, though.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts