VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

MK8 Golf R - Speculatory Thread

9K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  guiltless 
#1 ·
Published today, the 2021 VW Golf R has been officially rendered. https://www.motor1.com/news/398629/2021-vw-golf-r-rendering/

What're your thoughts on the Golf R Plus with ~ 400 HP? Any insight as to if they'll ever use the 2.5L 5-cylinder motor from the RS lineup? Man, THAT would be the car to get.

See less See more
#2 ·
I posted a thread on this the other day (some corn box deleted it) - Here are the latest spy shots.

https://carbuzz.com/news/this-is-the-2020-volkswagen-golf-r-before-youre-supposed-to-see-it

The latest info says the Mk8 will have 330bhp however there is reported to be a Golf R+ model with flared arches and a bit more power. No info on the weight loss, about a year back EVO magazine interviewed the head of VW's R program and stated that for the Mk8 they were looking to drop about 150lbs.

I do like those renderings even though the front doesn't look much like the one in the winter test pics in the link above.

#4 ·
I hope we get FOGs

#5 ·
What're your thoughts on the Golf R Plus with ~ 400 HP? Any insight as to if they'll ever use the 2.5L 5-cylinder motor from the RS lineup? Man, THAT would be the car to get.
While 400 HP would be nice, the standard R will likely be a $40k car. I’d have to think that the premium for another 70 HP is going to push that price right between Audi S3 and RS3 pricing, so maybe around $50k. That seems like a lot of money to me if that’s the case, I don’t know how many takers you’d get.

#6 ·
What're your thoughts on the Golf R Plus with ~ 400 HP?
Not happening
Any insight as to if they'll ever use the 2.5L 5-cylinder motor from the RS lineup?.
Absolutely never happening. VW R line group were refused the ability to use that engine. Also the R line program doesn't have the internal budget to support an engine like that. It would cost too much. Spoke at great length to someone close to the R line group about that engine.

#15 ·
Not happening

Absolutely never happening. VW R line group were refused the ability to use that engine. Also the R line program doesn't have the internal budget to support an engine like that. It would cost too much. Spoke at great length to someone close to the R line group about that engine.
Okay, thanks for breaking my heart so coldly and callously. :vampire:

#12 ·
So journalists have been driving the new S3 prototypes. There are some interesting tidbits regarding the AWD system which will of course carryover to the new R.

Haldex 6 and a new generation of Quattro all-wheel drive

One of the main higlights of the 2020 Audi S3 family is its drivetrain. Part of the reason this model has become a significant seller, accounting for one in five A3 sales in the UK, is its all-weather ability and grippy Quattro all-wheel drive. New for the fourth generation is a brand new Haldex 6 multi-plate clutch slung under the boot floor, apportioning drive front and rear in a more sophisticated way than systems from the past two decades.

It’s the VW Group debut for this Borg Warner hardware, which does away with some of the complexity of earlier Haldex clutches and is designed to be lighter and faster to respond; drive at a cruise and the pump is switched off entirely, but the moment the ECU detects slip or a likely need for extra traction (when cornering or driving uphill, say) it primes the pump and applies an extraordinary 44 bars of pressure within 100 milliseconds to engage the mechanical clutch and send drive rearwards. The all-wheel drive systems adds around 70kg of extra weight and will be available on lesser A3s before too long.

For the first time, the S3’s Quattro system can now be entirely rear-wheel drive in extremis, and the electronic brain brakes individual wheels for a torque vectoring effect. Power around a slippery corner at speed, plant the throttle and you can feel the Audi tuck in to the corner, with an impressively neutral feeling and a high level of grip. Instead of having different control systems for the Quattro, dampers and brakes there is now a single unified digital brain making decisions for a smoother, quicker, more reliable response. On this evidence, it works well.
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/audi/s3-sportback/

#13 · (Edited)
^ Thanks for posting this, great to hear. With that new Haldex allowing full power to go rearward, there seems to be a plausible engineering basis for that rumour of a RWD-biased "drift" mode for the new R. Not a a fan of using the brakes alone for torque vectoring, they overheat in heavy use, a torque-vectoring e-diff is needed.

It seems highly likely a MT will continue to be offered, and I am hoping VW comes into the modern era and joins the rest of the automotive world by bringing an autoblip/rev-matching function to their hottest MT toy (see: Honda, Hyundai, Ford, GM, etc.).

#14 ·
....It seems highly likely a MT will continue to be offered, and I am hoping VW comes into the modern era and joins the rest of the automotive world by bringing an autoblip/rev-matching function to their hottest MT toy (see: Honda, Hyundai, Ford, GM, etc.).
I'm sure VW thinks their MT buyers are a little more skilled and don't require assistance to operated the transmission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.