VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weve been building our MK8 GTI since the beginning of December so i figured id write up a build thread on here! Lots to cover!

2022 Pomelo Yellow Autobahn Manual etc... The same car nearly everyone else has. But we were stoked, we had a good 2-3 day head-start on the rest of the US.

Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

When we got it back to the shop the modifications started immediately starting with throwing the 19" Rotiform DTM from our giveaway car on temporarily. Day 2 with the car was where we really started all the work.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On day two of having the MK8 in our possession, we decided we needed to have base numbers for the cars power levels since we already had a pile of bolt-ons from manufactures to test fit. So we ran over to Jotech and hit the rollers for a baseline run. 245 wheel horsepower and 280ftlbs of torque on a Dynojet.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

We got back to the shop and remembered we had a used set of APR coilovers laying in a dark corner of the shop somewhere. Since we already had a pretty good assumption the suspension was nearly the exact same as a MK7, we decided to get the APR coilovers a once over and throw them on the car. But since the car was equipped with DCC, we lost all of that functionality. But most importantly, there was no DCC error light on the dash and the car looked a lot better.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We had to wait for a lot of the goodies coming in due to some shipping delays, but to make use of some time we took an APR carbon fiber inlet and carbon fiber open intake from the shelf and throw it in to get some turbo noise action.
Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting Hood

to add to the nice details we threw on all the billet dress up caps from racingline
Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

After the little details were all addressed, we decided we'd go ahead and drill some holes in the car to officially welcome it to its home. So we test fitted an OCDEURO rear chassis brace and started drilling and got it all secured. It fit perfectly with no issues and looks really good when the back seats are laid down.
Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive lighting Car

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Early the next week we finally had all of the parts we were waiting for from 034 Motorsports.

Bay: 034 Pendulum Mount + V2 Insert + Upper Insert 034 Density Line Motor Mounts APR Short Shifter
Wheels: 034 Forged ZTF-01 19x9.3 +42 5x112 in Gunmetal VWR (Racingline) Stud Conversion
Front End: 034 Front 2 Piece Rotors (OE 340mm sizing) Neuspeed Yellow Brake Lines
Rear: 034 Rear 2 Piece Rotors + Carriers in red (350mm upgrade) Neuspeed Yellow Brake Lines 034 Rear Spherical Trailing Arms 034 Rear sway bar 034 Rear Dynamic+ End Links
Exterior: APR Rear Wiper Delete OE VW Dynamic Turn Signals (Apparently plug and play) Almost 25lbs. in unsprung weight saved in the front and 12lbs. in the back thanks to the 034 rotors/wheels!
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Car Tire Sky Wheel Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Premium Member
2022 Pomelo Gti
91 Posts
Early the next week we finally had all of the parts we were waiting for from 034 Motorsports.

Bay: 034 Pendulum Mount + V2 Insert + Upper Insert 034 Density Line Motor Mounts APR Short Shifter
Wheels: 034 Forged ZTF-01 19x9.3 +42 5x112 in Gunmetal VWR (Racingline) Stud Conversion
Front End: 034 Front 2 Piece Rotors (OE 340mm sizing) Neuspeed Yellow Brake Lines
Rear: 034 Rear 2 Piece Rotors + Carriers in red (350mm upgrade) Neuspeed Yellow Brake Lines 034 Rear Spherical Trailing Arms 034 Rear sway bar 034 Rear Dynamic+ End Links
Exterior: APR Rear Wiper Delete OE VW Dynamic Turn Signals (Apparently plug and play) Almost 25lbs. in unsprung weight saved in the front and 12lbs. in the back thanks to the 034 rotors/wheels!
View attachment 152981
View attachment 152983
View attachment 152988
Nice work!
So the mk7 coilovers dropped right in and you didnt need a DCC cancelation kit??

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice work!
So the mk7 coilovers dropped right in and you didnt need a DCC cancelation kit??
they drop right in, Yes. At first we thought it didn't need it because there was no errors. BUT you wont be able to turn traction control off without the kit. Were testing a new suspension this week that would use the factory dcc and everything! So more on that soon!

· Registered
1,122 Posts

· Registered
2022 VW GTI, 2015 VW Golf, 1965 Ford Mustang
7 Posts

View attachment 152981
View attachment 152983
View attachment 152988

View attachment 152981
View attachment 152983
View attachment 152988
I have my own GTI s and i have been looking into wheels, the wheels I am looking at are the ESR SR12s and i would like to get 19" wheels but they do not have them in 19x8.5 but they do have 19x9.5 +35mm and im wondering do you think it would fit without rubbing and do you think it would sit flush?

· Registered
7,584 Posts
I have my own GTI s and i have been looking into wheels, the wheels I am looking at are the ESR SR12s and i would like to get 19" wheels but they do not have them in 19x8.5 but they do have 19x9.5 +35mm and im wondering do you think it would fit without rubbing and do you think it would sit flush?
There are soooo many companies that have similar mesh design wheels.

Try VMR Wheels, V710, the classic knock off from the HRE P101.

· Registered
63 Posts
I mean no disrespect, but back in the days I was building one off cars, owners would come to me and say I have this car and I am not happy about this, this, and this. Then they would give me a hefty down payment 50-100K and I would get to work designing a fix or fixes. Granted this was long before tuners (almost any of them) existed and I had to design and fabricate each part I would use so I had to be certain it would work also had to consider that each thing I would do could (usually did) effect other parts of the car. These days people just buy stuff and put it on, I don't really understand that but it seems the norm these days. Every now a then I still get calls to help when people do that (since I am long retired from that part of my life) and they mess up their cars. I dont know if all these tuners selling all this stuff is a good thing or a bad thing, but I have always thought that you need to live with a car for a while make a list of things you (most drivers these days could not handle a car without all the nannies on) would like to change and then do one thing (always best to start with the things closest to the road) at a time and see what effect it has. Needless to say I've had my SE manual for 9 months and done nothing yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts