VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

MK8 GTI Official Pictures

8K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  ni4ni 
#1 · (Edited)
Breaking News !! MK8 GTI Officially Revealed

Power for the new VW Golf GTI comes from a 2.0-liter EA888 TSI engine (the latest evo4 variant of it), producing 242 HP (245 PS) and 273 lb-ft (370 Nm) of torque. As standard, VW’s latest hot hatch will be offered with a six-speed manual transmission, leaving the seven-speed dual-clutch automatic unit in the options list.

The big news in the chassis department is the addition of a new driving dynamics control system called ‘Vehicle Dynamics Manager’. The new system basically controls the XDS electronic differential lock and the DCC adaptive suspension, which has been revised for this generation of the fast Golf family and drops the Golf GTI and GTD 0.6 inches lower to the ground than a standard Golf.

VW now allows the drivers to choose beyond the preconfigured range of the Comfort, Eco and Sport modes when setting up their Individual setting via a digital slider. Drivers can now choose an even comfier setting from the fixed Comfort mode and go beyond the fixed Sport mode, further tightening the dampers for minimum body movements.

The interior of the new Golf GTI is tarted up with a new sports steering wheel with touch controls and three silver double spokes, the classic golf ball shifter knob (if you go for the manual) and the beloved tartan GTI sport seats.

The Innovision Cockpit combines a configurable 10.25 digital instrument cluster with a 10-inch infotainment system, while there’s also ambient lighting with 30 color options. Standard equipment includes the Lane Assist lane keeping system, Autonomous Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Monitoring, the XDS electronic differential lock and the Car2X communication module.

See less See more
#3 ·
not sure why this excites me, but the button showing the heated steering wheel did it for me. I guess when I drive my wife's car and have the ability to turn it on, its a nice feature that I miss when getting back in my mk6. Look forward to seeing it in person as well as what the R ends up looking like

#8 ·
hood prop is something most won't miss. Honestly GTI has gotten bit too expensive. 38k for autobahn is pretty ridiculous for what you got. With more tech and being built with more expensive labor in germany, I think we'll see the top end being over 40k. Hell even the mk7 GLI feels like Kmart low rent inside even in the autobahn trim trying to keep the car under 30.

#11 ·
I know what you meant but one way or the other the saving doesn't really trickle down to us. Every new model year you always paying more. They give you this and take away that. It just lame to see a hood rod on the 2021 model year. 20 years ago my 2001 GTI has a hood lift. Yeah no thank...it's not justify. Same with glove compartment lock. They suppose to make me more drawn to the car instead of drawn me away. Oh well....

#12 ·
VW really dropped the ball here. I think they had their best designers on the new electric I.D. cars and the backup crew working on the Golf/GTI. The rear end is nice but outside of that the cut lines on the side are completely unoriginal and not sharply defined, also too similar to the MK6 around the C pillar. The front lights are just awful and made worse by a very boring edge to edge black intake. Especially when the fog lights are turned off. I could live with the exterior if it wasn't for the interior being so awful. The end to end air vents is a copy of Audi but with less character. Digital screens everywhere will be easily and cheaply replicated by the most entry level cars from Japan and Korea. There is no luxury or sportiness with everything digital displays. This interior will date quickly. The new steering wheel is vastly inferior to the MK7. If you can't improve it just keep it as is. And the plaid seats' lines have been so simplified it looks like the pattern on grandma's couch. Sorry for the rant :-|

#17 · (Edited)
Looks like they're bringing back the Rabbit.

Not keen on that buck tooth front bumper arrangement, the auto shifter, the amount of colored light on/in the dash, touch controls for basic functions or the amount of silver on the wheel. I like the basic interior lines so if they cut down the bling there, add a DSG handle and rework the front bumper area, it would be a win depending on how easily the controls work but imagine needing to remove your gloves while your windows are fogging up in traffic etc. The rest of the exterior is a bit less organic but will get used to and actually makes it look a little lighter outside or that bumper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.