VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear driver side door won't open on my '92 Jetta. The trigger is broken off (since I got the car) and I can't seem to open it from the inside either. Unfortunately, I can't remove the door handle without having he door open. I don't get a satisfying "click" when I operate the door lock, but the assembly is moving as expected. The car sat for a while before I bought it, and being a rear door, it may not have seen a lot of action. I've bitten the bullet and sliced open the door panel, I can always get another from the yard, but I still can't get it open.
Any suggestions? (other than "air hammer + new door = functionality)
Thanks!
David

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: MKII Jetta rear door won't unlock/open (dbcomp)

Both my doors are stuck closed, and i have no idea what to do either.
guess ill be watching this thread with you!

·
Registered
7 Posts

OK, so I got into my rear doors finally. i took the one screw out of the door handle then broke it off. it was so corroded that it actually broke off without much difficulty. then, i just sprayed the mechanism with lots of penetrating fluid and was able to push on the lever with my buddy pushing really hard with his feet. gonna need new handles and latches, but ill take them off my parts car. good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: MKII Jetta rear door won't unlock/open (rlandrath)

I wish I had your luck. My problem is that the latch is stuck in the "locked" position......no trigger action is going to help me until I can get past that.
David

·
Registered
131 Posts

How to Open stuck MKII door:
-Remove the rear seat back
-Move the door gasket out of the way so you can visually see the door latch
-Pry with a screwdriver on the part of the latch which engages the door striker
-Push open the door
-Replace the latch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts